Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 Apr '08 01:19
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080416110124.htm Bottom line for him is a 0.01 percent chance of intelligent life evolving in 5 billion years. So if there were 40,000 planets in the galaxy with life on them, only 4 will go all the way to intelligence. Still, there must be billions of planets in the galaxy.....
  2. 20 Apr '08 12:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080416110124.htm Bottom line for him is a 0.01 percent chance of intelligent life evolving in 5 billion years. So if there were 40,000 planets in the galaxy with life on them, only 4 will go all the way to intelligence. Still, there must be billions of planets in the galaxy.....
    thats a high percentage estimate, i feel that its a lot lower but it doesnt matter, even if you divide it by a million there will still be plenty of life out there
  3. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    20 Apr '08 15:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080416110124.htm Bottom line for him is a 0.01 percent chance of intelligent life evolving in 5 billion years. So if there were 40,000 planets in the galaxy with life on them, only 4 will go all the way to intelligence. Still, there must be billions of planets in the galaxy.....
    Outstanding, they don't know how to make it, but they can tell us
    the odds on it appearing.
    Kelly
  4. 20 Apr '08 16:08
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Outstanding, they don't know how to make it, but they can tell us
    the odds on it appearing.
    Kelly
    yeah, a bit like the number 31 bus
  5. Standard member patauro
    Patricia
    20 Apr '08 18:16
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Outstanding, they don't know how to make it, but they can tell us
    the odds on it appearing.
    Kelly
    Dude.........
  6. 20 Apr '08 18:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Outstanding, they don't know how to make it, but they can tell us
    the odds on it appearing.
    Kelly
    What a coincidence. I calculated the same odds regarding a unicorn jumping on my head. Of course, there is only a 50% chance of that ever happening.
  7. 21 Apr '08 01:51
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Outstanding, they don't know how to make it, but they can tell us
    the odds on it appearing.
    Kelly
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem
  8. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Apr '08 03:26
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Outstanding, they don't know how to make it, but they can tell us
    the odds on it appearing.
    Kelly
    It must be very tiring for you to continually disparage science like you do. I get the feeling the reason is if life does not need a god to make it, you will be like a little boy lost in the dark of a strange bedroom.
  9. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    21 Apr '08 04:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It must be very tiring for you to continually disparage science like you do. I get the feeling the reason is if life does not need a god to make it, you will be like a little boy lost in the dark of a strange bedroom.
    ...owned by Michael Jackson.
  10. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    21 Apr '08 06:14
    i calculate that there is a 0.0000000632 chance of there being intelligent life somewhere in the universe.
  11. 21 Apr '08 07:33
    Originally posted by coquette
    i calculate that there is a 0.0000000632 chance of there being intelligent life somewhere in the universe.
    What's the chance of finding intelligent life on Earth?
  12. 21 Apr '08 07:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What's the chance of finding intelligent life on Earth?
    "So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"
  13. 21 Apr '08 08:01
    Anyone heard of the Drake Equation? My feeling is that it's a bit self-fulfilling... one part of it requires attaching a value of either 1 or 0, which is the difference between an abundance of alien life and absolutely none.
  14. 21 Apr '08 08:42
    Originally posted by coquette
    i calculate that there is a 0.0000000632 chance of there being intelligent life somewhere in the universe.
    thats a bluff, i know most calculators only go to 8 digits
  15. 21 Apr '08 09:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    Anyone heard of the Drake Equation? My feeling is that it's a bit self-fulfilling... one part of it requires attaching a value of either 1 or 0, which is the difference between an abundance of alien life and absolutely none.
    Which one of the factors is that?

    I don't think any of its factors are 0 or 1 only.
    Some of the factors are a value between 0 and 1 though