Not Yet Extinct

Not Yet Extinct

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
11 Nov 19

w

Moves
12 Nov 19

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Any estimate on the numbers of these still in existence?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
12 Nov 19

@wildgrass said
Any estimate on the numbers of these still in existence?
Judging by the OP the estimate is one, maybe more.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Nov 19
2 edits

@DeepThought
Takes two to tango. Also I imagine that mouse having a lifespan of a few years at most, say 10 at outside. So at least three generations have reproduced in the wild so they are on their way back, I imagine with limited DNA diversity which wouldn't bode well in the long term.
Well, one text says they live 14 years in captivity but in the wild probably not as long.
Humans managed that trick though, at one point down to maybe 30 adults and look at us now.

w

Moves
12 Nov 19

@deepthought said
The photo in the Guardian article showed 2 individuals. I would think an ecological study can estimate based on range of habitat and the number of cameras they set up.

D

Moves
12 Nov 19
1 edit

w

Moves
14 Nov 19

An anecdote regarding "most wanted lost" list:

I have a friend who was in grad school for ecology. During his studies he discovered a new bird species while on an expedition in Peru. I asked him how he was able to collect the specimen and his answer was "a shotgun". He went on to explain how they took precautions to preserve the habitat and there were several other mating pairs in the area (they could identify this based on bird call recordings) but sheeeesh. The first discovery of a new species and the budding ecologist goes out and shoots the thing?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
16 Nov 19
1 edit

@wildgrass

The first discovery of a new species and the budding ecologist goes out and shoots the thing?
What are the odds that killing one of a newly discovered species might wipe out the entire species? You would have to assume the existence of one (and only one) mating pair.
Even if several other mating pairs were not identified, the chances of him wiping out a new species would be extremely slim.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
16 Nov 19

@deepthought said
LoL

If there is only one,
it won't be long
before there are none.

poetic injustice?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
16 Nov 19

@wildgrass said
An anecdote regarding "most wanted lost" list:

I have a friend who was in grad school for ecology. During his studies he discovered a new bird species while on an expedition in Peru. I asked him how he was able to collect the specimen and his answer was "a shotgun". He went on to explain how they took precautions to preserve the habitat and there were several other matin ...[text shortened]... eeesh. The first discovery of a new species and the budding ecologist goes out and shoots the thing?
I asked him how he was able to collect the specimen and his answer was "a shotgun".
That only counts as scientific method if he first says the words:"Oh my Gawd, they're coming right at us!"

D

Moves
16 Nov 19

w

Moves
17 Nov 19

I wonder if the fisherman knew it was the last one.

D

Moves
23 Nov 19