Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 06 Jul '14 17:46
    Hello,
    Does anyone out there have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder that gives your life trouble? Have you ever visited the following internet address?

    http://www.ocfoundation.org/

    If you have any struggles that you want to share in this thread, go ahead. Maybe there is support in the world that you did not know existed, including on RHP.
  2. Standard member Agerg
    The 'edit'or
    07 Jul '14 06:23 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Hello,
    Does anyone out there have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder that gives your life trouble? Have you ever visited the following internet address?

    http://www.ocfoundation.org/

    If you have any struggles that you want to share in this thread, go ahead. Maybe there is support in the world that you did not know existed, including on RHP.
    wtf is this thread doing in the science forum!???


    Hello,
    Do you have an intellectual disability that gives your life trouble? Have you ever visited the following internet address?

    http://www.specialolympics.org/

    If you have any struggles that you want to share in this thread, go ahead. Maybe there is support in the world that you did not know existed, including on RHP.
  3. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    08 Jul '14 22:42
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [hidden]wtf is this thread doing in the science forum!???[/hidden]

    Hello,
    Do you have an intellectual disability that gives your life trouble? Have you ever visited the following internet address?

    http://www.specialolympics.org/

    If you have any struggles that you want to share in this thread, go ahead. Maybe there is support in the world that you did not know existed, including on RHP.
    I think he's suggesting that people interested in science are obsessive/compulsive.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    09 Jul '14 17:57
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I think he's suggesting that people interested in science are obsessive/compulsive.
    No, it's the beginning of a religious rant, hopefully to get converts.

    I had a dude ask me once, long time ago, "Did you ever burn your finger?"

    Well....yes.

    "Well, that's what it's like in hell, only all over your whole body, forever and ever. We have a tent revival meeting Wednesday night, you are welcome to come and be saved".....
  5. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    11 Jul '14 08:03
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Hello,
    Does anyone out there have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder that gives your life trouble? Have you ever visited the following internet address?

    http://www.ocfoundation.org/

    If you have any struggles that you want to share in this thread, go ahead. Maybe there is support in the world that you did not know existed, including on RHP.
    Hello,
    Is anyone bald?
    Does anyone have alopecia?
    Have you ever visited the following internet address?

    http://www.alopeciaonline.org.uk/support-groups.asp

    If you have any straggles that you want to share in this thread, go ahead.
    (Or if you have any threads you wish to share)

    Maybe there is support in the world that you did not know existed including on RHP!
  6. Standard member Agerg
    The 'edit'or
    14 Jul '14 21:31
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Hello,
    Is anyone bald?
    Does anyone have alopecia?
    Have you ever visited the following internet address?

    http://www.alopeciaonline.org.uk/support-groups.asp

    If you have any straggles that you want to share in this thread, go ahead.
    (Or if you have any threads you wish to share)

    Maybe there is support in the world that you did not know existed including on RHP!
    Funny you should say that - I do have alopecia .. the worst kind no less (and I have visited that site - though not in a while!)
  7. 14 Jul '14 23:05 / 1 edit
    I would not say that there is no help from God with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder(OCD). However, some may find that OCD messes up simple life. It can be a burden. It really can mess up someone's life. It can be a serious life disruptor. Some may take "simple things" in life for granted while a person with OCD struggles to do the "simple."
  8. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Jul '14 18:47
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    I would not say that there is no help from God with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder(OCD). However, some may find that OCD messes up simple life. It can be a burden. It really can mess up someone's life. It can be a serious life disruptor. Some may take "simple things" in life for granted while a person with OCD struggles to do the "simple."
    I think one huge problem with religion is some folks going OCD in it, like Muslims and their daily prayers or Jews at the Western Wall. Looks pretty OCD to me.

    Or people trying to live their religious life and are so OCD they can't even try a beer, not even once, the whole time their mind is stuck on God or god or gods.
  9. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    16 Jul '14 20:05
    How did a topic about OCD suddenly become a discussion about religion... at a science forum?
  10. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    16 Jul '14 20:19
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I think he's suggesting that people interested in science are obsessive/compulsive.
    Are you suggesting psychology is not a science? Last time I looked the study of the (human) mind was considered a science.

    This sudden shift from a topic about psychology to ranting against religion is puzzling and makes no sense. If scientific minded atheists and agnostics here want to talk about religion, then why not take those comments and observations to the Spirituality Forum?
  11. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    16 Jul '14 22:08
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Are you suggesting psychology is not a science? Last time I looked the study of the (human) mind was considered a science.

    This sudden shift from a topic about psychology to ranting against religion is puzzling and makes no sense. If scientific minded atheists and agnostics here want to talk about religion, then why not take those comments and observations to the Spirituality Forum?
    He didn't start a discussion, he posted a link to a site for sufferers OCD. The implication is clear.
  12. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    17 Jul '14 01:01 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    He didn't start a discussion, he posted a link to a site for sufferers OCD. The implication is clear.
    I looked at the site, but it's not at all clear to me what the apparent link between OCD and science and/or religion is supposed to be. Does this have something to do with a previous discussion, is that why the implication for me is not clear? Just on the face of it the responses to KingOnPoints' OP appear to be purely reactionary, and have nothing to do with his OP.

    I've gotten used to seeing arguments promoting a false dichotomy between science and religion at other science boards, but judging from the responses to this OP it almost appears to be an intentional trap... to lure atheists into launching an attack against religion based on something that has nothing to do with religion.

    What am I missing here, because I'm obviously missing something. Talk to me like I'm idiot and don't know anything... not that you guys aren't already willing to do that, but I've been away from the science forum for awhile.
  13. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    17 Jul '14 01:18
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I think he's suggesting that people interested in science are obsessive/compulsive.
    Or you could just be paranoid, which is a different problem also having nothing to do with religion... unless you happen to be a science minded atheist who is obsessed with religion... ?

    See what I mean? This thread quickly sank into a black hole of insane responses even before reaching the halfway point of the first page. This must be some kind of record, or at the very least deserving of an honorable mention.
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Jul '14 10:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    How did a topic about OCD suddenly become a discussion about religion... at a science forum?
    This is about the human mind and its foibles and the scientific interest in why OCD happens in religion, I think is a valid question, you have to agree there is OCD in some religions.

    This is about obsession and religion is only one of the reasons for obsessions.
  15. 20 Jul '14 00:59
    One particular component that demonstrates having OCD is that the sufferer does not want to complete the compulsions he or she performs. An Extreme Muslim does want to kill and damage. They do not have OCD just because they are extreme.

    OCD is debilitating. It can ruin lives.