Polar Bears and Penguins

Polar Bears and Penguins

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Jun 12

Would polar bears thrive in Antarctica?

How about penguins in the Arctic?

Cape Town

Moves
25 Jun 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Would penguins thrive if polar bears moved to the Antarctic?

C

Moves
25 Jun 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
Would penguins thrive if polar bears moved to the Antarctic?
The Polar Bears would thrive until all the Penguins had been eaten.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
26 Jun 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

If the habitat and food sources are favorable. 😕

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by CLL53
The Polar Bears would thrive until all the Penguins had been eaten.
I think the penguins would learn to avoid said bear, they watch out for predators and if they live close to water, they can get away. Some of them, however, live 40 or more miles from water. I imagine they would move a lot closer to open water if bears were introduced into their habitat.

Obviously the bear would get a few, just like when they fish for salmon, they get some but the majority gets away.

Moves
29 Jun 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
I think the penguins would learn to avoid said bear, they watch out for predators and if they live close to water, they can get away. Some of them, however, live 40 or more miles from water. I imagine they would move a lot closer to open water if bears were introduced into their habitat.

Obviously the bear would get a few, just like when they fish for salmon, they get some but the majority gets away.
Penguins are very slow on 'land' and they have to spend large periods of time on land.

They have not had to evolve to deal with land predators and so the likely result of introducing
a major land predator is likely going to be the same as the historical instances of the introduction
of land predators (often cats) to places where the native creatures have not evolved to deal with
them...

The native creatures go extinct.

Moves
29 Jun 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
I can't imagine penguins being intelligent enough to move their entire breeding colonies from the inland to the shore. And even if they did, I can't imagine it helping much; baby penguins can's swim yet.

Richard

Moves
29 Jun 12

This is the example I was thinking of.

I suspect that the introduction of polar bears to Antarctica would go like this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephens_Island_Wren

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduced_mammals_on_seabird_breeding_islands