Political Science

Standard memberRemoved
Science 10 Oct '11 15:10
  1. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 07:31
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Your point is also a freightning one... Science studys systems, so engineers can manipulate/control those systems in such a way that it benefits mankind....How will learning to control/manipulate politics benefit mankind, and who are the political "engineers"?
    People have been manipulating others via politics throughout recorded history whether or not they used scientific methods to do so.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 08:58
    Your point is also a freightning one... Science studys systems, so engineers can manipulate/control those systems in such a way that it benefits mankind....How will learning to control/manipulate politics benefit mankind, and who are the political "engineers"?
    Adam Curtis has the historical answer:
    YouTube

One of the most brilliant documentaries I've seen.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 15:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    People have been manipulating others via politics throughout recorded history whether or not they used scientific methods to do so.
    Yes, but scientific methods will undoubtedly increase the effectiveness of that manipulation.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 15:28
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Adam Curtis has the historical answer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPzGUsYyKM

One of the most brilliant documentaries I've seen.
    Yeah, I got through the first part...and It's enchanting to say the least.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 17:01
    Yes, but scientific methods will undoubtedly increase the effectiveness of that manipulation.
    They certainly have and will continue to do so. However, I suspect that many of the most successful manipulators to date have used their own intuition / skills etc just as much as scientific methods.

What I find interesting is just how little this manipulation gets discussed, suggesting that either politicians (whether 'behind the scenes' politicians or the ones we traditionally label as such) are deliberately covering it up, or we as humans do not like to admit it to our selves / think about it.

I once saw an article about how G.W. Bush's speeches for which he was often mocked were actually very carefully thought out propaganda tools. The interesting thing, is the article was in a children's magazine. There is absolutely no doubt that it is true, yet I have never seen it reported or discussed in the mainstream media. Why?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 17:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    They certainly have and will continue to do so. However, I suspect that many of the most successful manipulators to date have used their own intuition / skills etc just as much as scientific methods.

What I find interesting is just how little this manipulation gets discussed, suggesting that either politicians (whether 'behind the scenes' politicians o ...[text shortened]... hat it is true, yet I have never seen it reported or discussed in the mainstream media. Why?
    If it were to be discussed in the media it would hint to the fact that the "politician" (the president)was actually just a "tool" of the propoganda machine (the media). if people the general polulation then begin to become aware on the same level as the propagandist, the propagandist could lose control.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 17:37
    Mainstream media is how they apply the propaganda. If people are aware of it and are capable of critical analysis it doesn't work on them very well.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 20:54
    Watching this video further cements my observation of the duality of everything...I have a gut feeling that its understanding will be the understanding of all existence.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 19:221 edit
    On a less ominous note, real social science "engineers" are:

Military officers
    Business management
    Teachers
    Politicians
    Entertainers
    Librarians
    Interrogaters
    Negotiators
    Private Arbriters
    Law Enforcement
    Lawyers
    Advertisers

Some more examples of more unpleasant social sciences:

Propaganda
    Conquest and Imperialism
    Slavery
    Torture
    Organized crime
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 22:02
    Is it really science? I don't belive so, but I don't study it in any advanced courses. At any undergraduate university level, I say it should be termed political philosophy, but yet it proclaims itself to be science along with all the other "social science's"...

My professor makes little word equations, and drops some function notation here and there, ...[text shortened]... or is it just a blatent misuse of the term science?

just looking for some thoughts.
    Here is a nice little paper on experimentation in political science:

http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/politics/faculty/morton/ExpChapHandbook5April06.pdf

You're right, though, that at the undergraduate level, many poly sci courses concern forms of governance and the normative assumptions that undergird those forms; it is more history and political philosophy than science. This focus tends to change as you move deeper into the discipline, in two respects: You will see courses that are purely political philosophy, and you will see courses that are primarily empirical.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Oct '11 12:49
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Here is a nice little paper on experimentation in political science:

http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/politics/faculty/morton/ExpChapHandbook5April06.pdf
    Yes, and it demonstrates quite nicely why political "science" is not a science. By denying all the features which make a scientific experiment what it is, the authors show a clear lack of understanding of the scientific method. Unless your interference is not repeatable, testable, provable, transposable, it is not an experiment, it is mere self-indulgent fiddling about.

Pschaw - I've fiddled about with so many things in my life (gentlemen, get your cheap-shot cannon ready!) that by their standards, I am, amongst many others, a Rubiks Cube scientist, a book stacking scientist, and an Indesign scientist.

Yes, and that, too.

Richard
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '11 18:14
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Unless your interference is not repeatable, testable, provable, transposable, it is not an experiment, it is mere self-indulgent fiddling about.

How do you propose studying a system where a large amount of variables exist?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Oct '11 20:25
    Originally posted by amolv06
    Why should he be responsible for designing their models, shouldn't ideal models be created by the 'social scientists'?...I suspect that a large amount of variables exists in every system that is scientifically studied. However, anything thing that I've personally studied begins with the ideal (most simple model) and adds variables from there to increase precision/accuracy. It seems these 'social scientists' are starting from the most complex models and working toward an ideal model, but are coming up short in there understanding of the scientific language 'mathematics'. Or perhaphs the fields just haven't been around enough to delineate crucial variables. But I feel it is most likely gone as far as it could in the hands of phsycologists, and the real 'social science' has yet to be fully realized and will continue to be so until the general population of scientists can understand the abstract high level maths.

There are people studying cosmology, QM,...would you say these fields have large amounts of variables? And yet I would suspect that there is no question to their identities as scientists amongst anyone posting here.
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 11:32
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I propose starting by not pretending to be scientific.

I don't care how they study politics, I care that they sully the name of science with their laughable claims.

Richard
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '11 18:48
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I propose starting by not pretending to be scientific.

I don't care how they study politics, I care that they sully the name of science with their laughable claims.

Richard
    It isn't unusual for sciences to evolve from less rigorous and less empirical methodologies. Aristotelian "physics" had bodies falling at a constant speed, for example, due to a disregard for empirical, reproducible data. Maybe political "science" will follow a similar trajectory.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree