1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    24000
    05 Mar '10 01:02
    In my quantum book, it is stated that one property of a Hilbert space is that its vectors are square-integrable. However, when discussing a hilbert space spanned by a continuum of basis vectors, it is stated that the inner product of two basis vectors <Xk, Xk'>=dirac-delta(k'-k), where k and k' are subscripts. This means that the inner product of a basis vector with itself would diverge. According to the definition given earlier about the Hilbert space, the basis vectors could not be constituents of a hilbert space. How then can a hilbert space be spanned by this basis?
  2. silicon valley
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    101289
    05 Mar '10 05:51
    what is your quantum book?
  3. Joined
    22 Jul '08
    Moves
    25942
    05 Mar '10 07:561 edit
    Please delete
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    24000
    05 Mar '10 07:59
    By Zetttili: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=quantum+mechanics
  5. silicon valley
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    101289
    06 Mar '10 04:31
    Originally posted by amolv06
    By Zetttili: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=quantum+mechanics
    Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications - Hardcover (Mar. 23, 2009) by Nouredine Zettili
    Buy new: $200.00 $160.00
    17 new from $155.74
    6 used from $156.62
  6. silicon valley
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    101289
    06 Mar '10 04:32
    !!!
  7. silicon valley
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    101289
    06 Mar '10 04:32
    i guess i'll look it up on Link. maybe.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    24000
    06 Mar '10 08:24
    Too much money, right? Though I got mine for 80. Its not hardback, though.
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Joined
    14 Oct '06
    Moves
    18375
    06 Mar '10 10:53
    Originally posted by amolv06
    In my quantum book, it is stated that one property of a Hilbert space is that its vectors are square-integrable. However, when discussing a hilbert space spanned by a continuum of basis vectors, it is stated that the inner product of two basis vectors <Xk, Xk'>=dirac-delta(k'-k), where k and k' are subscripts. This means that the inner product of a basis v ...[text shortened]... ot be constituents of a hilbert space. How then can a hilbert space be spanned by this basis?
    You're right! Hilbert spaces aren't the best mathematical way to do with physics since when the spectrum is continuous a lot of integrals diverge.

    Another problem with Hilbert spaces is that the only pre-requisite is that the functions be square-integrable in all space. But it doesn't say anything about the derivative, the second derivative or any other "change" in the original function.

    The actual mathematical space that you need to work on QM is a rigged Hilbert space. This book is an excellent introduction to a really rigorous mathematical treatment of QM: http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechanics-Development-Leslie-Ballentine/dp/9810241054
  10. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    06 Mar '10 12:36
    Originally posted by amolv06
    In my quantum book, it is stated that one property of a Hilbert space is that its vectors are square-integrable. However, when discussing a hilbert space spanned by a continuum of basis vectors, it is stated that the inner product of two basis vectors <Xk, Xk'>=dirac-delta(k'-k), where k and k' are subscripts. This means that the inner product of a basis v ...[text shortened]... ot be constituents of a hilbert space. How then can a hilbert space be spanned by this basis?
    It's possible as long as the contribution of each basis vector to a vector in the hilbert space is vanishingly small, I think.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Joined
    14 Oct '06
    Moves
    18375
    06 Mar '10 14:48
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    You're right! Hilbert spaces aren't the best mathematical way to do with physics since when the spectrum is continuous a lot of integrals diverge.

    Another problem with Hilbert spaces is that the only pre-requisite is that the functions be square-integrable in all space. But it doesn't say anything about the derivative, the second derivative or any ot ...[text shortened]... of QM: http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechanics-Development-Leslie-Ballentine/dp/9810241054
    http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0502053 for a free reference on the subject of rigged Hilbert spaces.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    24000
    06 Mar '10 21:39
    Many thanks! I'm going to print that article, and try and see if I can find the book in the library. I'll let you know how it goes.
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    24000
    08 Mar '10 08:15
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0502053 for a free reference on the subject of rigged Hilbert spaces.
    You jerk! You rigged my Hilbert space. Do you seriously expect me to live in a world that's not in a hilbert space, but a <i>rigged</i> hilbert space? Blasphemy!

    In all seriousness, I sincerely appreciate you posting that paper. I read it in its entirety, and I feel like I have an at least workable grasp of the rigged hilbert space concept, as well as a better understanding of dirac's bra-ket notation. I have not had the chance to look through the book yet, but certainly intend to next week over spring break.
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Joined
    14 Oct '06
    Moves
    18375
    08 Mar '10 19:30
    Originally posted by amolv06
    You jerk! You rigged my Hilbert space. Do you seriously expect me to live in a world that's not in a hilbert space, but a <i>rigged</i> hilbert space? Blasphemy!

    In all seriousness, I sincerely appreciate you posting that paper. I read it in its entirety, and I feel like I have an at least workable grasp of the rigged hilbert space concept, as well as a b ...[text shortened]... the chance to look through the book yet, but certainly intend to next week over spring break.
    Well you call them Gelfand triplets or equipped Hilbert spaces yoo.

    Ballentine's book is great so be sure to read it.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    24000
    08 Mar '10 20:411 edit
    Yea but rigged hilbert space sounds cooler.

    Adam, is that link in your profile your blog?
Back to Top