1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '20 09:30
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You asked if space was waving as in you being sarcastic.
    LIGO proved space IS waving and the more sensitive LIGO's get the more of the subtle waves will be detected, like 2 close stars orbiting each other which as of now won't be detected by LIGO, it takes a black hole pair crashing into each other to produce the energy to make the gravitational radiation.
    If space is waving it cannot be empty. Space must consist of the graviton/ether.

I don't think I ever asked if space is waving, even in sarcasm. Are you sure I didn't say time?
  2. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 06:40
    Holy snappin' rabbit feathers! How did this simple thread get so long? If it gets any longer it will punch through the edge of time and space itself, and believe me -- you don't ever want to be stuck in a place where there's no time and no space.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 16:181 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    You seem to still not get it.
    Do you understand the term 'spacetime'?
    It's like 'electromagnetism' which is a term meaning the underlying connection between electric fields with can exist with little in the way of magnetism and magnetic fields which can exist without much in the way of a connected electric field.
    But when the two hook up together we have radio, light, Xrays, gamma and the like that makes up the spectrum of 'electromagnetic' fields.

Spacetime is like that except on a fundamental level time and space are hooked together and what you do with one you do to the other so a gravitational wave squishes time AND space, alternately a push in and out of the direction of travel and then a push sideways from the direction of travel, like a kid playing with dough, say two kids, one squishing the dough up and down and the other kid squishing it left and right. I don't suppose for a minute I got that totally accurately but that is the general idea. Maybe someone here with more knowledge can explain it better but the gist is, a gravity wave alters both space and time but the changes are so small you would never notice in a million years of having such waves go through your bodies and it was a hurculean scientific project to finally have enough sensitivity to reveal those waves of spacetime.

But why do you insist that space is not empty? OF COURSE IT IS NOT EMPTY.

But we are still in the midst of learning what space is all about and the best theories have not nailed it yet, like relativity, that describes the EFFECTS of spacetime like mass changing the flow of time and movement of mass changing the effects of space but that doesn't explain the underlying reality that creates space and time.
    A new theory has to be invented which is not here yet. A new genius of the future may suss it all out in an overriding theory of the underpinnings of the universe but for now we have conjecture which is not even at the level of theory.

So news at 11.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 03:20
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You seem to still not get it.
    Do you understand the term 'spacetime'?
    It's like 'electromagnetism' which is a term meaning the underlying connection between electric fields with can exist with little in the way of magnetism and magnetic fields which can exist without much in the way of a connected electric field.
    But when the two hook up together we have r ...[text shortened]... universe but for now we have conjecture which is not even at the level of theory.

So news at 11.
    Nope. I get it just fine.

Either space is discrete or it is not. Do you get it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree