1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 07:181 edit
    @metal-brain said
    We all know the definition. What is your source of information?
    Of what?
    If of the definition then I just gave it.
    Here it is yet again for a third time;
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hermaphrodite
    and if "We all know the definition" then why bother to ask my source of information of the definition? If nobody including you disputes something then why demand I show my source of information? Why don't you show your source of information?
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 08:12
    @humy said
    Of what?
    If of the definition then I just gave it.
    Here it is yet again for a third time;
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hermaphrodite
    and if "We all know the definition" then why bother to ask my source of information of the definition? If nobody including you disputes something then why demand I show my source of information? Why don't you show your source of information?
    Prove you are not one. What is your source of info?
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 13:2412 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Prove you are not one.
    Prove I am not one what? A hermaphrodite? And why? Do you STILL idiotically claim I am a hermaphrodite? If so, why (do you think being called a "hermaphrodite" is some kind of insult? If so, why?) and what is the source of your information? If not, why should I prove that if you don't even dispute that? The vast majority of people aren't hermaphrodites thus it would be a very reasonable assumption I am not.
    Can you prove that you are not female? Who cares? It is you who inexplicably made the claim that I am a hermaphrodite.
    What point are you making here? I so far see absolutely none.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 13:48
    @humy said
    Prove I am not one what? A hermaphrodite? And why? Do you STILL idiotically claim I am a hermaphrodite? If so, why (do you think being called a "hermaphrodite" is some kind of insult? If so, why?) and what is the source of your information? If not, why should I prove that if you don't even dispute that? The vast majority of people aren't hermaphrodites thus it would be a very r ...[text shortened]... the claim that I am a hermaphrodite.
    What point are you making here? I so far see absolutely none.
    Can't you prove a negative? Having problems?
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 14:156 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Can't you prove a negative?
    Why is me being just male more 'negative' than being hermaphrodite?
    And why would it matter? Answer; it doesn't. What is your point? Answer, none.
    If being just male is a 'negative', whatever that's supposed to mean, it can be proven via a physical examination by a doctor and thus prove I am 'not hermaphrodite'. So apparently I can prove a 'negative', whatever that's supposed to mean ... And I also don't have to.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 15:24
    @humy said
    Why is me being just male more 'negative' than being hermaphrodite?
    And why would it matter? Answer; it doesn't. What is your point? Answer, none.
    If being just male is a 'negative', whatever that's supposed to mean, it can be proven via a physical examination by a doctor and thus prove I am 'not hermaphrodite'. So apparently I can prove a 'negative', whatever that's supposed to mean ... And I also don't have to.
    How do I know you are not female pretending to be male? Prove it. What is your source of information?
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 18:302 edits
    @metal-brain said
    How do I know you are not female pretending to be male?
    What?
    Have I gave you reason to think this? If so, what reason? If not, then it would make just a silly theory and one I have no need to disprove and don't care if I couldn't disprove. What's your point?
    Prove it.
    Why? And why should I care if I couldn't?
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 19:30
    @metal-brain said
    If light is a wave what is waving?
    The electro-magnetic field, as has been known since the 19th century.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 19:38
    @metal-brain said
    How do I know you are not female pretending to be male? Prove it. What is your source of information?
    I think that we can assume humy knows what sex he is. His "source of information" being first hand knowledge. You have no way of knowing for sure, but no good reason to doubt humy's word on this. Since the truth of the matter can be of no great account to you your refusal to accept it might be put down to a lack of manners by onlookers.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '20 03:35
    @deepthought said
    The electro-magnetic field, as has been known since the 19th century.
    That does not explain a damn thing and you know it. What is waving?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '20 03:42
    @deepthought said
    I think that we can assume humy knows what sex he is. His "source of information" being first hand knowledge. You have no way of knowing for sure, but no good reason to doubt humy's word on this. Since the truth of the matter can be of no great account to you your refusal to accept it might be put down to a lack of manners by onlookers.
    You have not been following this thread much. He tried to convince me that proving a negative is a reasonable expectation. This started because sonhouse basically said Newton was a jerk and I asked him for his source of information. Humy said I needed to provide my source of information to prove Newton was not a jerk.

If he is reasonable to expect me to prove a negative then it should be fine for him to as well. His narcissism will not let him accept he is applying an unfair double standard. It is all about him, even if he trolled into something that was between sonhouse and me. He didn't have to butt in , but he can't help but be a troll. You know how he is.
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 Sep '20 10:451 edit
    @metal-brain said
    You have not been following this thread much. He tried to convince me that proving a negative is a reasonable expectation.
    No, I have implied the exact opposite. So it is apparently you who have not been following this thread much unless you are just deliborately constructing your usual BS straw mans like you vary often do.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '20 11:46
    @humy said
    No, I have implied the exact opposite. So it is apparently you who have not been following this thread much unless you are just deliborately constructing your usual BS straw mans like you vary often do.
    Resorting to lies again I see.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 02:45
    @metal-brain said
    That does not explain a damn thing and you know it. What is waving?
    Well, that's the only available explanation and if you won't accept it further discussion on the matter is somewhat futile. However, I feel the need to point out that wavelike solutions to Maxwell's equations were a major triumph for his theory, it is the theory on which radio relies.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 03:07
    @metal-brain said
    You have not been following this thread much. He tried to convince me that proving a negative is a reasonable expectation. This started because sonhouse basically said Newton was a jerk and I asked him for his source of information. Humy said I needed to provide my source of information to prove Newton was not a jerk.

If he is reasonable to expect me to prove a negativ ...[text shortened]... n sonhouse and me. He didn't have to butt in , but he can't help but be a troll. You know how he is.
    I skipped the crazier stuff. Newton's Wikipedia page is worth a read, his father died a little before he was born and his mother remarried, more-or-less abandoning him to be brought up by his grandmother. He appears to have been quite misogynistic in consequence. Besides, he lived in the 17th and early 18th Century, when drawing and quartering was regarded as the correct punishment for traitors (London Bridge was a sight to behold) and hanging with the option of gibbetting appropriate penalties for most lesser offences. If it didn't deserve hanging then flogging was in order. One has to take some care judging people from other eras; we were brought up during an age of effective antibiotics and didn't see multiple siblings die or public executions.

A feature of science is that scientific theories are judged on their ability to predict the outcomes of experiments and not the content of their creator's character.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree