1. Standard memberblunderdog
    R.I.P. mikelom
    Dogville, USA
    Joined
    13 Nov '14
    Moves
    835
    23 Jan '15 18:02
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/scientists-slow-the-speed-of-light/ar-AA8uQjo?ocid=ansBBCNews11
  2. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    23 Jan '15 18:05
    I read the article this morning. What they are measuring is not really the speed of light in a vacuum. Media are overselling it a bit, as usual. Still, it's a nice experiment.
  3. Standard memberblunderdog
    R.I.P. mikelom
    Dogville, USA
    Joined
    13 Nov '14
    Moves
    835
    24 Jan '15 02:111 edit
    But they measured the speed of the photons in a mask, and when they switched it back to a vacuum, the speed remained the same as it was in the mask. That's significant.
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    24 Jan '15 10:42
    Originally posted by blunderdog
    But they measured the speed of the photons in a mask, and when they switched it back to a vacuum, the speed remained the same as it was in the mask. That's significant.
    The article was very unclear about what exactly they did. It would be nice to know what the quantum mechanics of this is, but then quantum mechanics never does translate well into macroscopic analogies.
  5. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    24 Jan '15 10:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The article was very unclear about what exactly they did. It would be nice to know what the quantum mechanics of this is, but then quantum mechanics never does translate well into macroscopic analogies.
    Basically what they do is some tricks with the geometry to ensure that the light no longer propagates as a plane wave. They then show that this different wave travels at a different speed through a vacuum.
  6. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    24 Jan '15 13:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Basically what they do is some tricks with the geometry to ensure that the light no longer propagates as a plane wave. They then show that this different wave travels at a different speed through a vacuum.
    Are you able to give us any clue as to why the different wave would travel at a different speed?
    Are plane waves the fastest possible type of waves?
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78621
    24 Jan '15 14:42
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I read the article this morning. What they are measuring is not really the speed of light in a vacuum. Media are overselling it a bit, as usual. Still, it's a nice experiment.
    Is it on ArXiv.org? I tried a couple of search terms but couldn't find it.
  8. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    24 Jan '15 17:57
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Is it on ArXiv.org? I tried a couple of search terms but couldn't find it.
    I read it on Science Express, but there is also an arXiv version:

    http://arxiv.org/abs/1411.3987
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78621
    24 Jan '15 20:06
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I read it on Science Express, but there is also an arXiv version:

    http://arxiv.org/abs/1411.3987
    Many thanks, I think you're right, the media is overselling it - although it is interesting that this can be done with a single photon.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    25 Jan '15 08:06
    To slow down a photon, well, that's one thing.

    But come back when you have sped up a photon to FTL-velocities. That would be really something!
  11. Standard memberblunderdog
    R.I.P. mikelom
    Dogville, USA
    Joined
    13 Nov '14
    Moves
    835
    27 Jan '15 20:03
    How is being oversold? Just by reporting it? Maybe if they used notations like a chess game, with exclams it would be overselling. Otherwise, it's just straightforward reporting.
Back to Top