1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jun '17 05:091 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If it ever were possible to exactly duplicate our brains in a robot, copy the brain to a robot, and the robot looked like us, people could think that robot is the person but of course the person is in the original body and the two are totally separate, especially considering the divergence of personality after the download, where two people would have different thought patterns as soon as they were downloaded.
    So far, science has not found a way to "download" that which makes you "you". That is because it is NOT only the neurons, but the interface (so far undiscovered) between the brain and the soul that makes "you" possible. "You" is far more than the merely physical. What we call the "soul" could be just a collection of quantum states, but this is mere conjecture.

This is why we'll never have teleporters like on Star Trek. They cannot record the soul, nor can they destroy or, rather, disassemble it. Nor could they build another from matter and give it your "soul pattern". You'd arrive on the other side an exact physical copy of "you", but it wouldn't be "you".
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '17 07:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So far, science has not found a way to "download" that which makes you "you". That is because it is NOT only the neurons, but the interface (so far undiscovered) between the brain and the soul that makes "you" possible. "You" is far more than the merely physical. What we call the "soul" could be just a collection of quantum states, but this is mere conje ...[text shortened]... You'd arrive on the other side an exact physical copy of "you", but it wouldn't be "you".
    The 'soul' is something that 'everyone' agrees about is there, but noone has found nor knows exactly what it is.

I see 'soul' as a religious term. You either believe in it, or you don't. I don't.

If one believe of a life after this, then something has to go further, because we know that the body is left behind in the grave. This soul, or spirit, they say, is within us while we live. Like a parasite, or a symbiot. Without it we are not more than an animal. They say...

We can always speculate about the soul, like a collection of quantum states, like a benevolent symbiot, like a particle of the breath of god. But we will never know anything about it. Like so many other religious phenomena.

The reason why we will never will be able to teleport ourselves, from one point to another, is not about the soul but about far more scientific causes. If you ask me.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Jul '17 12:274 edits
    So far, science has not found a way to "download" that which makes you "you". That is because it is NOT only the neurons, but the interface (so far undiscovered) between the brain and the soul that makes "you" possible. ..
    assuming what you mean by 'soul' is 'mind', I presume mind is merely a process of the brain thus there it isn't meaningful to talk about an 'interface' being between the two. But I admit I currently don't (yet) understand the essence of what is conscious mind (but I recently got a few clues!). Incidentally, this is going to be one of the things I will probably be researching (specifically for AI application) later this year and some time next year.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Jul '17 12:48
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The 'soul' is something that 'everyone' agrees about is there, but noone has found nor knows exactly what it is.
    I would put it differently. The word has a wide range of meaning and most people can find some meaning that fits with what they believe is reality. But at the same time, many people do not believe that other versions of the definition match reality.
    So I agree that Soul Music has soul, but disagree that humans have the type of soul described by Suzianne.
    I also don't believe that we have anything in us that can be said to have not been found no know what it is but call it a 'soul'.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '17 10:56
    So far, science has not found a way to "download" that which makes you "you". That is because it is NOT only the neurons, but the interface (so far undiscovered) between the brain and the soul that makes "you" possible. "You" is far more than the merely physical. What we call the "soul" could be just a collection of quantum states, but this is mere conje ...[text shortened]... You'd arrive on the other side an exact physical copy of "you", but it wouldn't be "you".
    Then how did Someone walk through walls?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '17 13:27
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Then how did Someone walk through walls?
    Don't give up your day job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree