1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    28 Jun '18 12:181 edit
    One of my infrequent forays into the science forum to ask a question of you maths experts.

    https://www3.rps205.com/programs/PublishingImages/Pages/Renaissance-Testing-/CogAT%20Information.pdf

    On slide 10, there is a chart showing the relationship between stanines, percentile ranks, and standardised age scores.

    Is it possible from this information to work out an exact percentile rank from a SAS of 138? I accept this may not be statistically reliable, but just interested if it can be done and what the answer is.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52681
    29 Jun '18 21:02
    Originally posted by @rank-outsider
    One of my infrequent forays into the science forum to ask a question of you maths experts.

    https://www3.rps205.com/programs/PublishingImages/Pages/Renaissance-Testing-/CogAT%20Information.pdf

    On slide 10, there is a chart showing the relationship between stanines, percentile ranks, and standardised age scores.

    Is it possible from this informa ...[text shortened]... may not be statistically reliable, but just interested if it can be done and what the answer is.
    It looks like SAS and IQ are quite close numerically and 138 is somewhere around 95th + percentile from what I read on the chart given.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    30 Jun '18 09:12
    I think you must have looked a bit quick. 138 SAS is well above 99th percentile. I was interested in how much.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52681
    30 Jun '18 13:28
    Originally posted by @rank-outsider
    I think you must have looked a bit quick. 138 SAS is well above 99th percentile. I was interested in how much.
    I was baiting you. I knew full well it was 99+, I wrote 95 to tease out your motivation. And I see what motivates you. Clearly that was your score and you want the world to know just how smart you are.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    30 Jun '18 22:293 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I was baiting you. I knew full well it was 99+, I wrote 95 to tease out your motivation. And I see what motivates you. Clearly that was your score and you want the world to know just how smart you are.
    Sorry, that was not my motivation. The 138 was not my score.

    The background is that my son has an autism related communication disorder (I mentioned this once on this forum a while back). He had been average in Maths for some years until this problem was identified.

    I have recently been fighting a school which refused him admission on the basis (partly) of low Maths scores. In part, this was due to the way they set the questions. This makes them as much easier an English test than a Maths test.

    Recently he sat a Maths test where the questions were written such that they removed the problems associated with his communication disorder and this was the result.

    It is obviously a very good result, and I am in the process of writing to our Department of Education here in the UK to highlight how important the phrasing of questions can be to help students with learning disorders show what they are capable of. I wanted to explain this result in the ‘this puts his score in the top ?% of candidates’.

    It doesn’t really matter I suppose if I just say top 1%, but if it were more dramatic than this (e.g. top 0.1😵 it might have a bit more impact.

    Anyway, that was my motivation. Obviously I am also a proud Dad, but you might have to forgive me for that!
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52681
    01 Jul '18 14:471 edit
    Originally posted by @rank-outsider
    Sorry, that was not my motivation. The 138 was not my score.

    The background is that my son has an autism related communication disorder (I mentioned this once on this forum a while back). He had been average in Maths for some years until this problem was identified.

    I have recently been fighting a school which refused him admission on the basi ...[text shortened]... was my motivation. Obviously I am also a proud Dad, but you might have to forgive me for that!
    My apologies then. We had a daughter very gifted IQ of 170, my wife and Darcy were tested on the same day and Susan and Darcy scored the same on the IQ test, but of course Darcy was 17 years younger and clocked in at 170 while Susan came in at a lowly 156🙂
    Sadly, Darcy was killed on a motorcycle, a woman in a big caddy made a turn without signalling right into her, she died instantly. We still mourn.
    There is work going on right now trying to get to the cause of autism and I hope your son is able to overcome it. There does seem to be a link between autism and high intelligence. Intelligence gone awry I guess.
Back to Top