1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '20 22:10
    https://news.yahoo.com/sunlight-destroys-coronavirus-very-quickly-new-government-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html

Looks like the government now backs what I have neen saying all along.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Apr '20 22:32
    @eladar said
    https://news.yahoo.com/sunlight-destroys-coronavirus-very-quickly-new-government-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html

Yeah, I saw that last week. I was waiting for someone else to post it. Sounds like good news, except sun has been very limited here in Pa the last couple weeks ( it snowed just the other day).
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '20 22:36
    @joe-shmo said
    Yeah, I saw that last week. I was waiting for someone else to post it. Sounds like good news, except sun has been very limited here in Pa the last couple weeks ( it snowed just the other day).
    Yeah, sometimes flu season goes into May. In any case, looks like the changing of the season will put a crimp into the spread, as long as people go outside.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '20 23:10
    In Summer light at 80 F, the half life of corona virus is 2 seconds, 1.5 seconds suspended in air.

Heat and humidity lower the Half-Life, but sunlight really wipes it out.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '20 23:26
    It destroys coronavirus too lol.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 00:28
    I wonder if any of the knowledgeable people around here who said heat, sunlight and humidity has no effect on this new different virus are willing to admit their ignorance?

I doubt it. All we have here are ignorant alarmists who have no original thoughts.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 01:59
    @eladar said
    I wonder if any of the knowledgeable people around here who said heat, sunlight and humidity has no effect on this new different virus are willing to admit their ignorance?

I doubt it. All we have here are ignorant alarmists who have no original thoughts.
    I remember saying "It might not have an effect", but I'm not knowledgeable on the specifics of virology.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 02:09
    @joe-shmo
    I do not think you were one of those arguing with me, trying to claim this is some sort of super virus.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 04:32
    @eladar said

Not really. You were predicting that the virus would cease to be transmitted during the summer. What this document is talking about is decontamination of surfaces. There are two problems. It's no use indoors. If you look at page 9 in the Preliminary Data Study, they state that the half life of the virus in simulated sunlight is about 2 to 3 minutes with a 90% decrease in 9 to 10 minutes. This means that surfaces outside are much less of a transmission risk. It does not mean that aerosol transmission is impossible, if someone coughs and you breathe in a droplet then it will have been in sunlight for seconds not minutes. So, while it does mean that the risks are lower in summer, they cannot rule out person to person transmission. The document does not draw conclusions about exiting lock down.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 04:363 edits
    @deepthought said
    Not really. You were predicting that the virus would cease to be transmitted during the summer. What this document is talking about is decontamination of surfaces. There are two problems. It's no use indoors. If you look at page 9 in the Preliminary Data Study, they state that the half life of the virus in simulated sunlight is about 2 to 3 minutes with a 90% decreas ...[text shortened]... out person to person transmission. The document does not draw conclusions about exiting lock down.
    You claimed UVB sunlight would not kill corona virus because your experts said so.

Get over it, you were wrong. Your experts were wrong.

Our data says a half life of 2 seconds for airborne particles.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 04:512 edits
    YouTube

1.5 seconds for airborne.
    2 minutes on a surface.

So on a surface after 8 minutes, over 90 percent is gone.

Airborne would be 6 seconds for over 90 percent killed.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 06:26
    @eladar said
    You claimed UVB sunlight would not kill corona virus because your experts said so.

Get over it, you were wrong. Your experts were wrong.

Our data says a half life of 2 seconds for airborne particles.
    At no point did I make such a claim. Find the post where I said that UVB sunlight would not kill SARS-Cov-2. I did dispute that vitamin D could be an important factor based on the ICNARC breakdown of ICU patients for covid-19 compared with non-covid-19 viral pneumonia. But that is a different thing.

The closest I came to commenting on UVB in the last month or so is in the 5th post down on page 4 of this thread: Thread 184792.

On page 10 of the report it clearly says that the virus survival time in aerosol in sunlight is of the order of 2 minutes. The reference to virus containing droplets on steel is on page 7.

https://www.scribd.com/document/456897616/DHSST
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 06:341 edit
    @DeepThought

Either the video requires updating or the article does. I see the 2 to 3 minutes.

The vitamin d thing, the tables supported me.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '20 06:34
    In any case, the outdoors is the place to be.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Apr '20 01:21
    @eladar said
    And about time!
    Why didn't those morons listen to you straight away?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree