1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 15:13
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2224004-exclusive-humans-placed-in-suspended-animation-for-the-first-time/?utm_campaign=onesignal&utm_medium=alert&utm_source=editorial

He mentioned we are not trying to sent people to Saturn but that could be one use for this technology which of course needs refining as this was only the first step.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 15:31
    @sonhouse said
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2224004-exclusive-humans-placed-in-suspended-animation-for-the-first-time/?utm_campaign=onesignal&utm_medium=alert&utm_source=editorial

He mentioned we are not trying to sent people to Saturn but that could be one use for this technology which of course needs refining as this was only the first step.
    I hate to say this but somehow I very much doubt this alone would allow people to stay in suspended animation for very long as in the months required to go to Saturn etc. without dire health effects.

My personal idea on this is to first genetically modifying people to have the biology more like the wood frogs with their ability to be frozen and then recovered.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 19:23
    @sonhouse said

I didn't follow the link, but I can guess that it involves cooling people down and replacing their blood with saline. I think the major applications are for surgery where the heart has to be stopped for extended periods. I think there's limits on how long one can do this for.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '19 13:501 edit
    @DeepThought
    And that limit has not been studied it seems. And maybe it never will be due to ethical concerns.
    I guess they can do research on animals though.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    21 Nov '19 14:011 edit
    @deepthought said
    I didn't follow the link, but I can guess that it involves cooling people down and replacing their blood with saline. I think the major applications are for surgery where the heart has to be stopped for extended periods. I think there's limits on how long one can do this for.
    That the required modification to the human cell membrane is obvious. What's not so obvious is what such a modification might do to the species.

Will we still be human?
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '19 21:311 edit
    @deepthought said
    Presumably you could supplement the saline with a cocktail containing glucose, hemoglobin or even synthetic red blood cells to deliver oxygen and nutrients.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Dec '19 18:10
    @humy said
    My personal idea on this is to first genetically modifying people to have the biology more like the wood frogs with their ability to be frozen and then recovered.
    By which time they'll be more like frogs than humans.

We have brains, not merely central nervous systems.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '19 18:30
    @Shallow-Blue
    Experiments like that are ongoing as we speak in China anyway. They are grafting in monkey genes into pigs to see if that can make pigs organ donors for humans with the idea of making the cells more human like and less likely to be rejected.
    So far, not so good, the two pigs they did that too died within a week of birth.

https://www.newsweek.com/pig-monkey-chimera-china-1476162
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Dec '19 18:39
    @sonhouse said
    @Shallow-Blue
    Experiments like that are ongoing as we speak in China anyway.
    That says enough. Next up (yours...): rhino horn.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '19 19:49
    @Shallow-Blue
    Well the work the Chinese are doing in gen mod is trying to do something significantly more valuable than Rhino horns for low sex drive.
    For now they are failing but you can never tell what door research will open up from such failures.
  11. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 07:24
    @sonhouse

Let's hope they have pleasant dreams !
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 18:40
    @ogb
    The Chinese government didn't like what he was doing and I think he is in jail as we speak. That won't stop less scrupulous scientists from doing genetic engineering on humans, the cat is out of the bag and no amount of squishing will get that particular bit of toothpaste back in the tube. Somewhere, some time there will be a pig that can climb trees......

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree