Temperature extremes?

Temperature extremes?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Feb 10

Just wondering what the highest and lowest temps anyone has experianced? Personally the 1st year I lived in Phoenix Arizona in 1990, it hit their all time high of 122F. Then I lived in Ft. Collins Colorado in 2000 and it got down to -22F one night. So a total swing of 144F. Pretty cool I think.

rc

Moves
14 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
Just wondering what the highest and lowest temps anyone has experianced? Personally the 1st year I lived in Phoenix Arizona in 1990, it hit their all time high of 122F. Then I lived in Ft. Collins Colorado in 2000 and it got down to -22F one night. So a total swing of 144F. Pretty cool I think.
when i was living in Pakistan, the Punjab, temperature in summer regularly exceeded 50 Celsius, man you could not go outside for more than an hour before you were drenched with sweat, and then they had load shedding where the electricity was cut off and there was no air conditioning nor even a measly fan! i think it reached lower than -22 Celsius in Scotland this winter, reaching as low as -27.5 Celsius. ๐Ÿ™‚

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Feb 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
when i was living in Pakistan, the Punjab, temperature in summer regularly exceeded 50 Celsius, man you could not go outside for more than an hour before you were drenched with sweat, and then they had load shedding where the electricity was cut off and there was no air conditioning nor even a measly fan! i think it reached lower than -22 Celsius in Scotland this winter, reaching as low as -27.5 Celsius. ๐Ÿ™‚
That's very close to my experiance. Kind of cool to feel those differances huh?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Feb 10

Originally posted by galveston75
Personally saw temps in the 120's working in Arizona on a traffic light repair truck where we covered about 500 miles a day driving from Tuscon and south, but went to HS in Anchorage, Alaska where I was out in -28F, 148 degree dif. Also saw 28 below in Denver at Lowry AFB where I was in tech school for a year but in Anchorage, the air was totally still and we were plinking with a 44 magnum outside for 45 minutes wearing T shirts, after 45 minutes I noticed my ears were getting a bit frosty๐Ÿ™‚.
In Denver ten years later, I was just released from hospital still weak from the end stages of influenza and they let me out in -28 F weather but this time I had to cross a large field separating Lowry 1 from Lowry 2 (the main divisions of the base) and snow was blowing horizontal to the ground.

By the time I crossed the field my face was covered in ice and I barely made it to a barracks, ANYONE's barracks, for shelter, was stunned with cold.

p
Patricia

Moves
15 Feb 10

A few years ago, while visiting friends in Phoenix, we fried two eggs on the sidewalk. Put the eggs there with a little oil, it took 15 to 20 minutes, but they were fried eggs. Ambient temp was 115F, didn't measure the sidewalk surface temp.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Personally saw temps in the 120's working in Arizona on a traffic light repair truck where we covered about 500 miles a day driving from Tuscon and south, but went to HS in Anchorage, Alaska where I was out in -28F, 148 degree dif. Also saw 28 below in Denver at Lowry AFB where I was in tech school for a year but in Anchorage, the air was totally still and ...[text shortened]... ice and I barely made it to a barracks, ANYONE's barracks, for shelter, was stunned with cold.
That was a really tuff couple weeks in 1990 when they hit 122. For the week before and the week after it never got below 117 during the day and never under 105 at night....
They also closed down Sky Harbor that day because the asphalt was so hot the jets were sinking in it and they were afraid the jets thrust was being affected too much on takeoffs.

a

Moves
16 Feb 10

49 C ~ 120F in India.

5F in Houston.

K

Germany

Moves
16 Feb 10

Theoretically, 0K in my calculations.

In practise, lows of about -20 °C at night here, and the highest was 43 °C in Hungary IIRC.

F

Moves
16 Feb 10

Anyone enjoyed a real sauna? A Finnish style one? There we're talking temperature.
Bring a raw egg into the sauna and it's cooked when you leave.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
16 Feb 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Anyone enjoyed a real sauna? A Finnish style one? There we're talking temperature.
I've heard that before. Isn't there a contest to see who can stay in one the longest?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Feb 10

Funny how those things are more popular in cold countries than tropical ones๐Ÿ™‚

silicon valley

Moves
17 Feb 10

haven't been here but it looks interesting.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/naica-big-pics.html

world's largest crystals at Naica Mines

they only let people in for a few minutes without cooling suits

120 deg F at 90 pct humidity.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
18 Feb 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
haven't been here but it looks interesting.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/naica-big-pics.html

world's largest crystals at Naica Mines

they only let people in for a few minutes without cooling suits

120 deg F at 90 pct humidity.
My son actually just sent me that site. Awesome isn't even the word for that. I'd love to see that before it's flooded.

rc

Moves
18 Feb 10

what about a North Swedish one, i heard from a very reliable source that you guys go for a sauna then run outside and plunge butt naked into the snow.

F

Moves
18 Feb 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
what about a North Swedish one, i heard from a very reliable source that you guys go for a sauna then run outside and plunge butt naked into the snow.
...or in a hole in a frozen lake.