1. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    13 Feb '10 23:29
    Just wondering what the highest and lowest temps anyone has experianced? Personally the 1st year I lived in Phoenix Arizona in 1990, it hit their all time high of 122F. Then I lived in Ft. Collins Colorado in 2000 and it got down to -22F one night. So a total swing of 144F. Pretty cool I think.
  2. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    14 Feb '10 07:501 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Just wondering what the highest and lowest temps anyone has experianced? Personally the 1st year I lived in Phoenix Arizona in 1990, it hit their all time high of 122F. Then I lived in Ft. Collins Colorado in 2000 and it got down to -22F one night. So a total swing of 144F. Pretty cool I think.
    when i was living in Pakistan, the Punjab, temperature in summer regularly exceeded 50 Celsius, man you could not go outside for more than an hour before you were drenched with sweat, and then they had load shedding where the electricity was cut off and there was no air conditioning nor even a measly fan! i think it reached lower than -22 Celsius in Scotland this winter, reaching as low as -27.5 Celsius. ๐Ÿ™‚
  3. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    14 Feb '10 21:01
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    when i was living in Pakistan, the Punjab, temperature in summer regularly exceeded 50 Celsius, man you could not go outside for more than an hour before you were drenched with sweat, and then they had load shedding where the electricity was cut off and there was no air conditioning nor even a measly fan! i think it reached lower than -22 Celsius in Scotland this winter, reaching as low as -27.5 Celsius. ๐Ÿ™‚
    That's very close to my experiance. Kind of cool to feel those differances huh?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    14 Feb '10 21:37
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Just wondering what the highest and lowest temps anyone has experianced? Personally the 1st year I lived in Phoenix Arizona in 1990, it hit their all time high of 122F. Then I lived in Ft. Collins Colorado in 2000 and it got down to -22F one night. So a total swing of 144F. Pretty cool I think.
    Personally saw temps in the 120's working in Arizona on a traffic light repair truck where we covered about 500 miles a day driving from Tuscon and south, but went to HS in Anchorage, Alaska where I was out in -28F, 148 degree dif. Also saw 28 below in Denver at Lowry AFB where I was in tech school for a year but in Anchorage, the air was totally still and we were plinking with a 44 magnum outside for 45 minutes wearing T shirts, after 45 minutes I noticed my ears were getting a bit frosty๐Ÿ™‚.
    In Denver ten years later, I was just released from hospital still weak from the end stages of influenza and they let me out in -28 F weather but this time I had to cross a large field separating Lowry 1 from Lowry 2 (the main divisions of the base) and snow was blowing horizontal to the ground.

    By the time I crossed the field my face was covered in ice and I barely made it to a barracks, ANYONE's barracks, for shelter, was stunned with cold.
  5. Standard memberpatauro
    Patricia
    Joined
    25 Sep '06
    Moves
    14447
    15 Feb '10 00:23
    A few years ago, while visiting friends in Phoenix, we fried two eggs on the sidewalk. Put the eggs there with a little oil, it took 15 to 20 minutes, but they were fried eggs. Ambient temp was 115F, didn't measure the sidewalk surface temp.
  6. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    15 Feb '10 17:041 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Personally saw temps in the 120's working in Arizona on a traffic light repair truck where we covered about 500 miles a day driving from Tuscon and south, but went to HS in Anchorage, Alaska where I was out in -28F, 148 degree dif. Also saw 28 below in Denver at Lowry AFB where I was in tech school for a year but in Anchorage, the air was totally still and ...[text shortened]... ice and I barely made it to a barracks, ANYONE's barracks, for shelter, was stunned with cold.
    That was a really tuff couple weeks in 1990 when they hit 122. For the week before and the week after it never got below 117 during the day and never under 105 at night....
    They also closed down Sky Harbor that day because the asphalt was so hot the jets were sinking in it and they were afraid the jets thrust was being affected too much on takeoffs.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    24000
    16 Feb '10 17:11
    49 C ~ 120F in India.

    5F in Houston.
  8. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    16 Feb '10 20:37
    Theoretically, 0K in my calculations.

    In practise, lows of about -20 °C at night here, and the highest was 43 °C in Hungary IIRC.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    16 Feb '10 21:27
    Anyone enjoyed a real sauna? A Finnish style one? There we're talking temperature.
    Bring a raw egg into the sauna and it's cooked when you leave.
  10. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    16 Feb '10 21:45
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Anyone enjoyed a real sauna? A Finnish style one? There we're talking temperature.
    Bring a raw egg into the sauna and it's cooked when you leave.
    I've heard that before. Isn't there a contest to see who can stay in one the longest?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    17 Feb '10 02:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Anyone enjoyed a real sauna? A Finnish style one? There we're talking temperature.
    Bring a raw egg into the sauna and it's cooked when you leave.
    Funny how those things are more popular in cold countries than tropical ones๐Ÿ™‚
  12. silicon valley
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    101289
    17 Feb '10 22:33
    haven't been here but it looks interesting.

    http://news.discovery.com/earth/naica-big-pics.html

    world's largest crystals at Naica Mines

    they only let people in for a few minutes without cooling suits

    120 deg F at 90 pct humidity.
  13. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    18 Feb '10 00:39
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    haven't been here but it looks interesting.

    http://news.discovery.com/earth/naica-big-pics.html

    world's largest crystals at Naica Mines

    they only let people in for a few minutes without cooling suits

    120 deg F at 90 pct humidity.
    My son actually just sent me that site. Awesome isn't even the word for that. I'd love to see that before it's flooded.
  14. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    18 Feb '10 13:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Anyone enjoyed a real sauna? A Finnish style one? There we're talking temperature.
    Bring a raw egg into the sauna and it's cooked when you leave.
    what about a North Swedish one, i heard from a very reliable source that you guys go for a sauna then run outside and plunge butt naked into the snow.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    18 Feb '10 13:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what about a North Swedish one, i heard from a very reliable source that you guys go for a sauna then run outside and plunge butt naked into the snow.
    ...or in a hole in a frozen lake.
Back to Top