Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    14 May '13 06:11
    Who built Stonehenge? And the big statues at Easter Island ? The Ruins of the Incas built at above 10,000 feet ? Some of the stones at these ruins are 300 tons beyond today's technology for lifting. Also the tolerances for the spaces of these stones is amazing and can't be replicated

    Manny
  2. 14 May '13 07:54
    Originally posted by menace71
    Who built Stonehenge? And the big statues at Easter Island ? The Ruins of the Incas built at above 10,000 feet ? Some of the stones at these ruins are 300 tons beyond today's technology for lifting. Also the tolerances for the spaces of these stones is amazing and can't be replicated

    Manny
    People built them. And no, 300 tons is not beyond today's technology for lifting.

    Here is a crane that can lift 3,200 tons. Note that there are other ways to lift such as jacks that can far exceed this.
    http://enr.construction.com/products/equipment/2012/extras/0925/slideshow.asp?slide=7

    A few clever people with some levers could lift 300 tons.

    Also see:
    http://www.eisp.org/category/archaeology/transport/


    And can you actually give us those tolerances that you claim can't be replicated? I suspect you have no idea how good modern engineers are.

    I saw a documentary on the Kárahnjúkar Hydropower Plant in iceland where they drilled tunnels from opposite sides of a mountain many kilometers apart and met in the middle. Remember that GPS doesn't work underground so this had to be done with other techniques.
  3. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    14 May '13 09:14
    Archimedes said "Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth". He knew about levers and how to magnify force many times over. Apparently this was well known technology in the ancient world, Archimedes just formalised the mathematics of levers.
  4. 14 May '13 09:45
    Just a word of advice, people writing about ancient ruins often over exaggerate, then people passing on what they read tend to embellish the story even further.

    This might also interest you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Horseman#Thunder_Stone

    The largest stone ever moved at 1500 tons. ".... it was effectively moved 6 km (3.7 mi) overland to the Gulf of Finland by manpower alone; no animals or machines were used." Note that it was also transported further by water.
    This was in 1770 so we have written record of how it was done. No aliens involved.

    Also see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_monoliths_in_the_world
  5. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    14 May '13 13:32
    Interesting I forget these things. My uncle once showed me with just simple pieces of wood a lifting mechanism basically levers and used it to lift a 1000 lbs marble slab. He was able to get the slab high enough to carefully transfer to a table. I remember being amazed.


    Manny
  6. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    14 May '13 21:29
    Originally posted by menace71
    Who built Stonehenge? ...Manny
    To put Stonehenge in perspective;
    it was built at about the same time as the Great Pyramids.
  7. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    14 May '13 22:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    People built them. And no, 300 tons is not beyond today's technology for lifting.

    Here is a crane that can lift 3,200 tons. Note that there are other ways to lift such as jacks that can far exceed this.
    http://enr.construction.com/products/equipment/2012/extras/0925/slideshow.asp?slide=7

    A few clever people with some levers could lift 300 tons.

    dle. Remember that GPS doesn't work underground so this had to be done with other techniques.
    My theory is that Adam was much more intelligent than we are today and so were his first descendants, because the Holy Bible indicates that within a couple generations from Adam, they were building cities, herding livestock, farming the land, forging implements of bronze and iron, playing musical instuments, and Noah was even able to build a hugh ship that was called the Ark.

    Now since most of the people were wiped out, it was left up to Moses and his family to repopulate the Earth and build new places to live. It is not likely that Moses learned everything that all those people learned before the flood since he was just 600 years old by that time. So I believe there was a lot of knowledge lost and had to be rediscovered and learned again.

    But apparently Moses and his descendants were great builders, because it was not long before they were building a tower in an attempt to reach high into the heavens. God wanted them to spread out all over the Earth and determined, if they remained together speaking in one language, they would be able to do about anything they put their mind to. Therefore, God confused their language, dividing it up into most of the languages that we have today. We are still in the process of learning from the knowledge of people of different languages, even today.

    Also we know from the discovery of DNA how that works and that mistakes are not always repaired in the reproduction prodcess. This means that there is likely a degeneration of the intelligence of the people as this happens throughout the generations from Adam to mankind today. But it is generally taught that ancient men were not very intelligent people and over time we have gotten more intelligent, which is just the opposite of the truth.

    The Instructor
  8. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    14 May '13 23:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    But it is generally taught that ancient men were not very intelligent people and over time we have gotten more intelligent, ...
    The Instructor
    Generally taught where?
    Have you any facts or is this more of your ignorant supposition.
  9. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    14 May '13 23:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Generally taught where?
    Have you any facts or is this more of your ignorant supposition.
    It is taught by those that believe in evil-lution. Here are some facts:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_human_intelligence

    The above is something like a "Planet of the Apes" story.

    The Instructor
  10. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    15 May '13 00:28
    http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question72468.html


    Manny
  11. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    15 May '13 00:31
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is taught by those that believe in evil-lution. Here are some facts:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_human_intelligence

    The above is something like a "Planet of the Apes" story.

    The Instructor
    We are talking about Stonehenge, The Pyramids and Ancient Man.
    We are not talking about evolution.

    justify your statement " But it is generally taught that ancient men were not very intelligent people and over time we have gotten more intelligent,"

    Who teaches that?
  12. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    15 May '13 04:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    My theory is that Adam was much more intelligent than we are today and so were his first descendants, because the Holy Bible indicates that within a couple generations from Adam, they were building cities, herding livestock, farming the land, forging implements of bronze and iron, playing musical instuments, and Noah was even able to build a hugh ship that w ...[text shortened]... time we have gotten more intelligent, which is just the opposite of the truth.

    The Instructor
    Moses ? you mean Noah right?


    Manny
  13. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    15 May '13 04:25
    I remember this show called something like Ancient Tech or something like that but anyway point is that early man may have been just as advanced or more so in someways then we are today. I remember reading somewhere also that they found ancient batteries at some place. The Chinese had gas pipes. I retracting my view a bit only because man always figure out how to move things and overcome. This is not to say I don't think the ancients may have had some kind of help.

    Manny
  14. 15 May '13 04:54
    Originally posted by menace71
    I remember this show called something like Ancient Tech or something like that but anyway point is that early man may have been just as advanced or more so in someways then we are today.
    What do you mean by 'advanced'? There is no evidence that their technology was anything like as good as modern technology. The pyramid builders hadn't even figured out how to smelt iron. They probably hadn't even invented the wheel.

    As for intelligence, the potential for intelligence was probably the same as today, but due to a lack of education, it was not exploited as much as today. It must be noted however that even today, a vast number of people do not receive much education and go through much of their lives illiterate, and doing what their parents did and if given an IQ test would do very badly (because IQ tests are in part a test of education).
  15. Standard member menace71
    Can't win a game of
    15 May '13 05:12
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    People built them. And no, 300 tons is not beyond today's technology for lifting.

    Here is a crane that can lift 3,200 tons. Note that there are other ways to lift such as jacks that can far exceed this.
    http://enr.construction.com/products/equipment/2012/extras/0925/slideshow.asp?slide=7

    A few clever people with some levers could lift 300 tons.

    ...[text shortened]... dle. Remember that GPS doesn't work underground so this had to be done with other techniques.
    I agree about the weight thing I'm an idiot LOL but the tolerances thing is true

    http://www.gizapyramid.com/mehler%20new%20article.htm

    http://www.s8int.com/enigma.html