1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    15 May '13 05:18
    http://www.antikythera-mechanism.gr/

PS: this thing is cool

They are finding stuff all over the earth that does not fit in with what we were taught in school. The idea is that we started out primitive then slowly advanced but the evidence does not support that. I don't even care if you take a creationist or evolutionary view on the world and history something just does not add up.

Manny
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    15 May '13 07:20
    Originally posted by menace71
    http://www.antikythera-mechanism.gr/

PS: this thing is cool

They are finding stuff all over the earth that does not fit in with what we were taught in school. The idea is that we started out primitive then slowly advanced but the evidence does not support that. I don't even care if you take a creationist or evolutionary view on the world and history something just does not add up.

Manny
    It fits in with what I was taught at school. Maybe I had a strange history teacher? He also told us about batteries used for electroplating before batteries were (re)invented. I think this is just a case of knowledge lost and then rediscovered.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 May '13 07:35
    ... but the tolerances thing is true
    No, the tolerances thing is not true. You claimed that the tolerances for placing stones 'can't be replicated'. Can you give the tolerances in question and some form of evidence that it 'can't be replicated'.
    You simply have no idea just how good modern engineers are. You should watch a few documentaries on large engineering projects, you will be amazed.

Have a look at this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EgaG4mdyK8o

Check at 19:39. They say the towers were "within a thumbs length of being perfectly vertical."

But I recommend you watch the whole episode.
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    15 May '13 07:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, the tolerances thing is not true. You claimed that the tolerances for placing stones 'can't be replicated'. Can you give the tolerances in question and some form of evidence that it 'can't be replicated'.
    You simply have no idea just how good modern engineers are. You should watch a few documentaries on large engineering projects, you will be amazed. ...[text shortened]... mbs length of being perfectly vertical."

Furthermore, he has no idea just what can be achieved with a suitable polishing agent (rock powder will do) and elbow grease. The ancients did not have wondrous unknown technology but they also weren't incapable of fitting one rock to another. I am often amazed that some people think the ancients should not have been able to do this a few thousand years ago. Anyone would think our modern technology must have been gifted to us by some race of super beings.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 May '13 08:39
    Originally posted by Kepler
    The ancients did not have wondrous unknown technology but they also weren't incapable of fitting one rock to another.
    One can get a perfectly straight line with nothing more than a piece of string.
    Also, ancient builders knew that water provides a perfect horizontal.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 May '13 10:18
    Moses ? you mean Noah right?

Manny
    Yes of course. Just testing to see if anyone was paying attention. Ha!

The Instructor
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 May '13 11:19
    One can get a perfectly straight line with nothing more than a piece of string.
    Also, ancient builders knew that water provides a perfect horizontal.
    ... and perfect right-angles with a rope divided into 12 units ...
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '08
    Moves
    15 May '13 14:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is taught by those that believe in evil-lution. Here are some facts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_human_intelligence

The above is something like a "Planet of the Apes" story.

The Instructor
    Firstly it's evolution, not evil-lution. Using slurs like that about a subject is not logical argument. In fact you are committing the logical fallacy called a "Connotation fallacy".

Secondly, you obviously didn't read the article very well. It talks about the evolution of intelligence from the precursors of man to homo sapiens. I have to assume by "ancient man" you mean someone not more than 8000 years old (as you seem to be a bible fundamentalist from previous posts). As this means they would, effectively be the same as "modern" man - the same species homo sapiens, the intelligence would be roughly equivalent.

Anyway, whether you believe the Earth was created a few thousand years ago or a few thousand million years ago, the builders of the artifacts you were discussing would have had a similar intelligence to present day homo sapiens. It is another argument as to whether they had access to technology or knowledge the same as or greater than our own: current evidence does not point to that.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 May '13 16:05
    My theory is that Adam was much more intelligent than we are today and so were his first descendants, because the Holy Bible indicates that within a couple generations from Adam, they were building cities, herding livestock, farming the land, forging implements of bronze and iron, playing musical instuments, and Noah was even able to build a hugh ship that w ...[text shortened]... time we have gotten more intelligent, which is just the opposite of the truth.

The Instructor
    In your case I can well believe the intelligence of SOME men have gone way down. But in the real world, it is clear the intelligence of men 100,000 years ago is EXACTLY the same, on average, as modern man. That is to say, if you had a time machine and went back 100,000 years, kidnapped a 4 yo Cro Magnan kid, brought him or her back to present times, put him or her in school, on average that kid would do just as well as any modern kid. There would be dumber ones and smarter ones in the same ratio as we have today. The only attack on intelligence today is environmental, the poisons we ingest on a daily basis, toxins in the soil, getting into plants, getting into the food chain and to humans might make the average intelligence a bit lower but that is our own fault and can be corrected when we get our political heads out of our asses and stop worrying about money and worry more about our health, if we do that we can mitigate the present problem with health and toxins. That has nothing to do with any gradual change in intelligence, up or down. Kids today are getting better educated and are getting into interactive computer learning systems very early and that is going to change the face of education, probably for the better. Generally, they know more at the age of 10 than we did at the age of 20.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 May '13 17:23
    Originally posted by slankerful
    Firstly it's evolution, not evil-lution. Using slurs like that about a subject is not logical argument. In fact you are committing the logical fallacy called a "Connotation fallacy".

Secondly, you obviously didn't read the article very well. It talks about the evolution of intelligence from the precursors of man to homo sapiens. I have to assume by "an ...[text shortened]... knowledge the same as or greater than our own: current evidence does not point to that.
    It is not easy to find an article that contains just those things I wish to instruct on. There seems to always be additional information and error mixed with the truth. People like you are going to ignore the truth and only see the error and side issues.

The Instructor
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 May '13 17:381 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In your case I can well believe the intelligence of SOME men have gone way down. But in the real world, it is clear the intelligence of men 100,000 years ago is EXACTLY the same, on average, as modern man. That is to say, if you had a time machine and went back 100,000 years, kidnapped a 4 yo Cro Magnan kid, brought him or her back to present times, put him ...[text shortened]... robably for the better. Generally, they know more at the age of 10 than we did at the age of 20.
    Here again, it is an error to think that man existed 100,000 years ago. You are still in denial by saying it is not man's fault. Did not Adam disobey God? That old serpent the Devil told Eve that she could eat of the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil, because God was a liar and that she would not die, but would gain pleasure and wisdom instead. How did that work out?

Surely, we would have gained total pleasure and wisdom by now, if it had been 100,000 years ago. But instead we are stuck in a cycle to birth and death, which brings forth pain and agony for the woman, especially when her baby comes forth with a degenerative disease or is deformed.

The Instructor
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 May '13 23:07
    But it is generally taught that ancient men were not very intelligent people and over time we have gotten more intelligent,
    The Instructor
    Still waiting for you to justify this ignorant statement.
    😴
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    16 May '13 01:39
    You simply have no idea just how good modern engineers are. You should watch a few documentaries on large engineering projects, you will be amazed. ...[text shortened]... mbs length of being perfectly vertical."

I will watch it 🙂

Manny
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    16 May '13 01:441 edit
    The argument is how the H E double Hockey Sticks did they make precision cuts in the stone with primitive tools and drill holes ? Also to cut a 35 ton stone from a quarry then to move it like 25km then to get the stone up over 100 ft high then place it perfectly.....Modern times ok fine but 25 to 3500 years ago ?

Manny
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    16 May '13 01:47
    BTW I'm not saying anything at this point other than how did they build these things ? without modern equipment is all

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree