1. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 22:45
    Just out of curiosity. Can anybody think of a scientific explanation for God?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 23:15
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics
  3. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 23:31
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics
    Maybe something a little less linguistic for fear of falling into babble.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '09 06:23
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Religion and science can never mix.

There cannot be any scientific explanation for god. Perhaps an psycological explanation why we invented god, bu god himslef cannot be explained scientifically.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    06 Mar '09 10:15
    Maybe something a little less linguistic for fear of falling into babble.
    I'm not sure what you mean.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    06 Mar '09 14:10
    Theoplacy;

The "God Machine" you are looking for, is the Human😵
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    06 Mar '09 14:29
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Religion and science can never mix.

There cannot be any scientific explanation for god. Perhaps an psycological explanation why we invented god, bu god himslef cannot be explained scientifically.
    Theoplacia/ theoplacy is a known tendency of the Human, FF pal, and it is accepted at least by Sociology🙂

And my ancestors played it hard: first of all Xenophanes claimed that the gods designed the Human according to their own image. He was the first ever philosopher who claimed that "...the Thraces imagined that their gods are blond and blue eyed and the Aethiops imagined that theirs are black".

A bit later Prodicus quoted that the people used to attribute divine nature to goods and/ or to natural elements that they wanted to worship (corn/ Demeter, wine/ Dionysus, water/ Poseidon etc), and he said in addition that possibly the gods were great inventors which were worshiped by the members of their community.

Evemerus quoted that several kings and heroes were transformed into gods due to social reasons by means of brutal force or firm commitment.

Foyerbach claimed that the Human sees in the image of "God" her/ his persona, which at last it attains the Perfection that for him is impossible.

Marx believed that "God" was a transformation of the human pain to holiness, and other philosophers suggested that "God" is the symbol of the ultimate perfection.

The Christian "god" is often described like a powerful Eastern king -he is called "King of Kings", "Lord of Lords" etc, and he loves the ones who worship him whilst he punishes and/ or annihilates the so called infidels.

It's a never ending story actually; The Human invented the concept of "God" due to his fantasy, and this is the reason why he has spoken about a single "God" and also for many. Some believe that "god/s" belong to the universe, others that s/he/ they belong not, others that s/he/ they are not related to the universe and others that s/he/ they are the universe itself, whilst some said that s/he/ they are the reason and/ or at the same time the creator/ designer of everything Known and Unknown😵
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 04:59
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Theoplacia/ theoplacy is a known tendency of the Human, FF pal, and it is accepted at least by Sociology🙂

And my ancestors played it hard: first of all Xenophanes claimed that the gods designed the Human according to their own image. He was the first ever philosopher who claimed that "...the Thraces imagined that their gods are blond and blue eyed a ...[text shortened]... or at the same time the creator/ designer of everything Known and Unknown😵
    There is one thing about the christian god that bugs me, it says 'Thou shall have no other god's before me'. Isn't that a big hint that THE god admits there ARE other gods, but maybe not just as powerful as THE god?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 10:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    There is one thing about the christian god that bugs me, it says 'Thou shall have no other god's before me'. Isn't that a big hint that THE god admits there ARE other gods, but maybe not just as powerful as THE god?
    The Old Testament acknowledges the existence of other gods in many places, especially in the first few books. This is no surprise, as judaism was derived mainly from the polytheistic Babylonian religion.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 14:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The Old Testament acknowledges the existence of other gods in many places, especially in the first few books. This is no surprise, as judaism was derived mainly from the polytheistic Babylonian religion.
    Interesting, a monotheistic religion legitimatizing polytheism.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 17:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Sonhouse my friend,

Christianity is the second Abrahamic religion; the Jews believe/d that there were/ are other gods too, but they were/ are sure that the god of their nation stands higher than every other god. They also believe/d that there are many supernatural existences, which they act on behalf of their god or on behalf of other gods. Therefore Christianity was/ is considered a heresy😵
  12. Joined
    06 Jun '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 20:48
    David Bohm's 'Implicate Order' is the nearest thing - but the God of the Bible clearly does not exist and never has.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 20:50
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Sonhouse my friend,

Christianity is the second Abrahamic religion; the Jews believe/d that there were/ are other gods too, but they were/ are sure that the god of their nation stands higher than every other god. They also believe/d that there are many supernatural existences, which they act on behalf of their god or on behalf of other gods. Therefore Christianity was/ is considered a heresy😵
    Of course there are other gods than god himself. Satan or the evil has godly properties too.
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 05:50
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Of course there are other gods than god himself. Satan or the evil has godly properties too.
    Right, however they believed too in the existence of the gods of the Babylonians and of the other nations, as KazetNagorra quoted.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '09 05:26
    God is not an observation to be explained. God is an explanation that makes predictions. Unfortunately those predictions are of no scientific value, because any such predictions that did have scientific value have failed to support the hypothesis.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree