1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 07:192 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Regardless of what we think of the mythology of creationism, we cannot rule it out.

Also there are other hypotheses about the origins of life we cannot rule out either, like martian meteoroids with bacteria surviving the journey from a hit on Mars to its landing on earth and seeding life here (of course that just puts back the question of origins a bit f ...[text shortened]... uled out at this point in time so abiogenesis is only one of several hypotheses floating around.

Regardless of what we think of the mythology of creationism, we cannot rule it out.

actually I would say we can definitely “rule it out” and by that I mean we can immediately dismiss it as so extremely improbable as to be totally absurd ( and, in addition, quite frankly, it is an EXTREMELY STUPID hypothesis ) .

But I think what you must mean by “rule it out” here is to deductively disprove it with pure deductive logic in which case, yes, we cannot “rule it out” in that very strict sense just as we cannot “rule it out” that there is a tooth-fairy or a Santa or a great many other great absurdities but, and this is the problem here, that is not what most of us mean by “rule it out” most of the time in everyday English but rather we tend to mean we should regard it as so extremely improbable as to be absurd and should therefore, in strictly practical terms as opposed to purely academic terms, not even consider it as a 'valid' possibility.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 14:59
    Originally posted by humy

actually I would say we can definitely “rule it out” and by that I mean we can immediately dismiss it as so extremely improbable as to be totally absurd ( and, in addition, quite frankly, it is an EXTREMELY STUPID hypothesis ) .

But I think what you mus ...[text shortened]... ical terms as opposed to purely academic terms, not even consider it as a 'valid' possibility.
    Of course that is obvious. Theists living in fear are the scourge of mankind, fear rules their lives so they do stupid things to alleviate that fear with outrageous stories like the creation myths around the world, biblical creation being just one and not even original.

We still have no absolute proof such an absurd situation is not true, maybe it's one in a trillion chance it's true but it can't be ruled out totally.

Personally I consider one in a trillion to be on the short side, more like one in a google possibility of being true.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 07:483 edits
    Of course that is obvious. Theists living in fear are the scourge of mankind, fear rules their lives so they do stupid things to alleviate that fear with outrageous stories like the creation myths around the world, biblical creation being just one and not even original.

We still have no absolute proof such an absurd situation is not true, maybe it's one e in a trillion to be on the short side, more like one in a google possibility of being true.
    What the....?

I had no idea I should be living in such fear. It looks like I need to make up for lost time. 😲

Speaking of fear, what I fear is what lives in that hole on Mars. For you see, I have a mole phobia. Everytime I see one tunneling in the yard it just gives me the willies. Can't the rover throw a quarter in the hole to hear if it hits something? That way they might be able to tell how deep the thing is. Also, making a wish beforehand might be good as well. At least give us something for the billions of dollars to send the thing up there.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 12:26
    ****Breaking news******

NASA has somehow penetrated the depths of the abyss on Mars extending for miles, but there is good and bad news. The bad news is that they have yet to find a bottom. The good news is that they have found a rather cryptic inscription on the walls of the abyss found a few miles down suggesting life on Mars. It reads, "Maynard Keynes was here".

I don't get it.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 19:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    ****Breaking news******

NASA has somehow penetrated the depths of the abyss on Mars extending for miles, but there is good and bad news. The bad news is that they have yet to find a bottom. The good news is that they have found a rather cryptic inscription on the walls of the abyss found a few miles down suggesting life on Mars. It reads, "Maynard Keynes was here".

I don't get it.
    They will find John Carter soon.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 14:46
    Originally posted by CLL53
    They will find John Carter soon.
    Nah, they'l find Mitt Romney showing how the Mormons knew all about it 100 years ago.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 21:00
    http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120718.html

A cavern below a crater on Mars!
    I think thats the sphincter
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 04:10
    I think thats the sphincter
    Sickos. Must you look at a planets private parts?

Disgusting.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 19:301 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Sickos. Must you look at a planets private parts?

Disgusting.
    no, disgusting would be to see what comes out of the planets private parts...
    When the sphincter tightens and relaxes, a moon might be created.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 01:16
    no, disgusting would be to see what comes out of the planets private parts...
    When the sphincter tightens and relaxes, a moon might be created.
    Or a smoke ring....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree