1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 21:212 edits
    Originally posted by chaney3
    You seem to like your 1cm per year theory.

Yet, eclipses still happen. Now, past and future.

Maybe the sun is shifting 1cm per year as well?
    I apologize, it is 3.8 cm per year: And measured several different ways that agree with each other: about 1.5 inches per year.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/37-our-solar-system/the-moon/the-moon-and-the-earth/111-is-the-moon-moving-away-from-the-earth-when-was-this-discovered-intermediate

The moon and sun exerts tidal forces on Earth but the Earth also exerts tidal forces on the moon which tends to stretch out the part of the moon facing Earth and minumizing it at 90 degrees away and since that is a roving moving tidal wave, taking about 14 days to go round the moon,(half the moons orbit) it converts orbital momentum into friction heating the interior and slowing it down a bit each year and measured several ways including the retro reflector left on the moon by the NASA astronauts.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 21:35
    Why did you choose to ignore the fact that the sun is much larger than the moon, yet it is precisely far away enough to cause the perfection of an eclipse. These odds are no coincidence or accident.

And your cm per year for billions of years explanation is questionable.
    So the arrangement of stars in the sky, like the big dipper is that way to remind people to use dippers when drinking water, right? A designer did that on purpose to make people think about dippers and water, right?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 21:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So the arrangement of stars in the sky, like the big dipper is that way to remind people to use dippers when drinking water, right? A designer did that on purpose to make people think about dippers and water, right?
    Lol lol.
    I had not thought about that.
    Time to begin research. 🙂
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 21:491 edit
    Hey....the 1cm shift thing belongs to sonhouse, not me!
    But you claim that the distance is exactly right. Is it, or isn't it?

A reminder that you claim in your OP:
    The moon is not only the perfect size, but the perfect distance from the sun, to produce a perfect eclipse.

Exactly how perfect? What percentage change would result in a less than perfect eclipse?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 21:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But you claim that the distance is exactly right. Is it, or isn't it?

A reminder that you claim in your OP:
    The moon is not only the perfect size, but the perfect distance from the sun, to produce a perfect eclipse.

Exactly how perfect? What percentage change would result in a less than perfect eclipse?
    Of course the distances and sizes are perfect, along with orbit, because an eclipse is the result.

Why does it seem you are asking me these things as if you are refuting the eclipse as never happening?

I will say again, read sonhouse's posts regarding shifts of the moon. I made no such claim.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 22:15
    Of course the distances and sizes are perfect, along with orbit, because an eclipse is the result.

Why does it seem you are asking me these things as if you are refuting the eclipse as never happening?

I will say again, read sonhouse's posts regarding shifts of the moon. I made no such claim.
    Not true. We would still see total eclipses if the moon were much closer to the earth.

Also (astronomers did the calculation, not me) if the earth-moon distance increases by 4.6 percent (17,000 kilometers), we would still see total eclipses.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 22:22
    Originally posted by wildgrass
    Not true. We would still see total eclipses if the moon were much closer to the earth.

Also (astronomers did the calculation, not me) if the earth-moon distance increases by 4.6 percent (17,000 kilometers), we would still see total eclipses.
    I'm not sure why you and others keep throwing the 'ifs' in here. If the sun....if the moon....if the orbit....if the distance, etc.

At present, each has already been placed perfectly by design. Size, distance and orbit are each as exactly designed.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 01:49
    I'm not sure why you and others keep throwing the 'ifs' in here. If the sun....if the moon....if the orbit....if the distance, etc.

At present, each has already been placed perfectly by design. Size, distance and orbit are each as exactly designed.
    Exactly. We all know the moon is not made of blue cheese. But what if the moon were made of barbecue spare ribs? Would you eat it?
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 02:00
    The size and postion of the moon and sun, relative to earth equals......Design.
    Magic is all around us. Did not come from a book.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 02:05
    Originally posted by wildgrass
    Exactly. We all know the moon is not made of blue cheese. But what if the moon were made of barbecue spare ribs? Would you eat it?
    Using humor to deflect, noted.

Design it is.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 02:07
    Originally posted by chaney3...
    What is the goal of this cosmic designer, I ask since you see it so clearly. And, what designed your cosmic designer?

Your approach does not address the fundamental questions. You are kindergarten level.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 02:08
    I am barely first grade, just to be clear.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 02:21
    Originally posted by apathist
    What is the goal of this cosmic designer, I ask since you see it so clearly. And, what designed your cosmic designer?

Your approach does not address the fundamental questions. You are kindergarten level.
    Yes, I clearly see design.

However, I would not say that I have a clue about understanding the Designer.

Fair enough?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 07:571 edit
    Answer the question. What percentage change would be required for there not to be an eclipse?

Why does it seem you are asking me these things ....
    Because I want you to try thinking for yourself instead of believing the nonsense you see on creationist websites, hook, line and sinker.

...as if you are refuting the eclipse as never happening?
    I do not dispute that eclipses happen. I dispute that there is a 'perfect' distance that is required for an eclipse to happen.

An I made no claim that you made such a claim. Stop trying to dodge the question.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '17 08:02
    We are throwing in 'ifs' because your OP suggests that 'if' the moon were a different distance or size then eclipses would not occur. That is simply not true. Your OP is wrong.
    You therefore cannot deduce design from it. You may believe it was designed if you want, but you cannot claim you believe that because of the actual distance. You believed it first then you wanted to use the distance to convince others to believe as you do. Your mistake was to not stop and think first.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree