The mystery of music

The mystery of music

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
20 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
Or intentional silence, in the case of John Cage.

But there are surely atypical cases.
Atypical cases as in minimalism, modernism, etc.? At this point, most composers are expanding horizons that have never been expanded. These expansions frequently move into the dissonant (Jeffrey Mumford), modernist (John Cage), and minimalist (Steve Reich). However, they are really not pleasant to listen to sometimes, and they only work if the listener is in a cosmopolitan mood.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
22 Apr 08

Or intentional silence, in the case of John Cage.

But there are surely atypical cases.
I personally wouldn't call 4'33" music, but it raises an interesting question:

If I buy a ticket to a performance of 4'33", and get presented with 4 min 33 sec of silence, did I hear music? Possibly. Now, what if I wander into the performance by mistake? Did I hear music?

d

Moves
23 Apr 08

A poster I pass occasionally each week says "Music is the color of sound." or something near that.

In a scientific sense, music involves tones (frequencies) held for particular recognizable intervals in fairly understandable patterns. Harmony, is the overlaying of individual musical tones simultaneously in cadence or in a counter cadence (rhythms). Certain harmonic intervals tend to produce positive uplifting thoughts and feeling, while others produce opposite effects. The interpretation of the positive and negative combinations appear to be universal across cultures. The one specific musical anomoly I can not understand is the use of quarter tone scales prevelant in middle-eastern cultures. To the best of my knowledge, all other cultures use half-tone scales, although the Far East scale contains five notes instead of the seven note western scale.

Western Scales use two tetra chords (the major scale having 1 step - 1 step - 1/2 step - 1 step - 1 step - 1 step - 1/2 step which is two 1 step - 1 step - 1/2 step patterns linked by a 1 step interval) while the Eastern scale is 1 step - 1+1/2 step - 1 step - 1 step - 1+1/2 step.

The octave is double (or half) the frequency of the original tone. The fifth is 1.5 x the frequency of the original tone. Other intervals have similar fixed mathmatical ratios.

Why is music pleasurable and why do we enjoy music? For the same reason we enjoy color and visual patterns. Rhythm may be likened to patterns and harmony and frequencies may be likened to colors. Combine them well and you get a most enjoyable sensory experience.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
24 Apr 08

Originally posted by PBE6
I personally wouldn't call 4'33" music, but it raises an interesting question:

If I buy a ticket to a performance of 4'33", and get presented with 4 min 33 sec of silence, did I hear music? Possibly. Now, what if I wander into the performance by mistake? Did I hear music?
How could you tell if the performance was delayed? Or if the all musicians didn't start or end together? Could one musicians have played for 4'35'' without anyone noticing?

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
24 Apr 08

Originally posted by dinosaurus
A poster I pass occasionally each week says "Music is the color of sound." or something near that.

In a scientific sense, music involves tones (frequencies) held for particular recognizable intervals in fairly understandable patterns. Harmony, is the overlaying of individual musical tones simultaneously in cadence or in a counter cadence (rhythms). C ...[text shortened]... may be likened to colors. Combine them well and you get a most enjoyable sensory experience.
If so, whence dissonance?

d

Moves
24 Apr 08

If so, whence dissonance?
I hope you will excuse my inability to describe the whole of music in a single lifetime of posts; however,

Regarding disonance ...

Random or persistent diconance would be called noise by most folks. I believe the aesthetic beauty of disonance can only be enjoyed when the disonant harmony is going somewhere, most often a pleasurable resolution. Based on my observations, enjoying disonance is an acquired taste. Most untrained music followers tire quickly of even a little. But the folks that appear to enjoy it the most are trained musicians, but they are the most likely to complain openly if a disonant pattern is poorly executed.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

P

weedhopper

Moves
25 Apr 08

I think music is the sound the universe makes while it hoes about its business of making stars, planets, quarks and anti-quarks, and such. All these objects probably emit a different tonal range, just as elements have a unique light pattern. The symphony of the cosmos is probably mostly strings, which is a shame, since my favorites are the woodwinds.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
25 Apr 08

But the experience is still not uniformly enjoyable.

Come to think of it, even a good movie is not uniformly enjoyable. It may sometimes featgure harrowing or frightening moments.

P

weedhopper

Moves
26 Apr 08

But the experience is still not uniformly enjoyable.

Come to think of it, even a good movie is not uniformly enjoyable. It may sometimes featgure harrowing or frightening moments.
Frightening/horrific moments (for me) are often the MOST enjoyable parts

Read a book!

Moves
26 Apr 08

Music is mathematics, and mathematics is music.

P

weedhopper

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by HandyAndy
agreed 🙂

G

Moves
26 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Disagreed; while some of music can be described mathematically, most of it isn't mathematical. Mathematics has its separate beauty.

P

weedhopper

Moves
26 Apr 08

I have yet to see a musical score that cannot be reproduced mathematically. The reverse cannot be said.