The Webb Telescope

The Webb Telescope

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
26 Jan 22

@liljo said
Webb has arrived! The final adjustment at L2 has been accomplished! No space rocks have destroyed the 'scope!

Perfectly executed. Let the cooldown begin!
Now hold 4 more months for the photos to start rolling in. I can't wait!

Moves
26 Jan 22

@wildgrass said
I bet we'll be getting preview "this is not our best yet but look at this" photos earlier than that. And I'm looking forward to them already.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jan 22

@Shallow-Blue
They are undoubtedly going to do that as soon as they get any kind of rough focus.

Moves
27 Jan 22

@sonhouse said
@Shallow-Blue
They are undoubtedly going to do that as soon as they get any kind of rough focus.
Remember the first results of Hubble? And how they were better than anything we'd ever seen? And how that was then shown to be not as good as they should've been, and some stupid luddites said that this proved that Hubble, and all astronomy, was useless and a waste of money? And how they repaired it? And the results after that?

Remember Deep Field?

My God. So much better than we could ever have anticipated!

I can't even imagine what James Webb's equivalent of that will be, but I'm already looking forward to it.

Moves
27 Jan 22

@jimm619 said
https://www.npr.org/2021/12/17/1064724045/this-new-space-telescope-should-reveal-what-the-universe-looked-like-as-a-baby?utm_source=pocket-newtab
https://news.yahoo.com/5-amazing-facts-james-webb-184900485.html

Moves
28 Jan 22

@jimm619 said
https://news.yahoo.com/5-amazing-facts-james-webb-184900485.html
Great article. Absolutely tremendous!

On NASA TV, they had a publicity show after reaching L2. I don't remember the exact wording, but the lady said they are going to release absolutely mind-boggling images to the public before starting the pre-planned first year of actual focused scientific study.

Just think, every hour of every day for the first year of use is pre-planned! But, before that gets underway, they want to do this for the world--release something spectacular to look at.

Moves
28 Jan 22

@wildgrass said
Me neither, Wildgrass! Going to be beyond what I could have dreamed before Hubble.

Just seeing the earliest galaxy formations, and maybe unraveling the mystery of how supermassive black holes could have formed so early. I bet they discover new "species" or classifications of stars previously unknown.

And wait till they start really looking closely at exoplanets, such as the Trappist-1 system:
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/335/10-things-all-about-trappist-1/

Über-Nerd

Moves
28 Jan 22

What excites me about Webb is not so much the known unknowns it is likely to make known, as the UNknown unknowns it might reveal.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Jan 22

@moonbus
Take a look at my post above, "major radio astronomy find''

w

Moves
31 Jan 22

@moonbus said
What excites me about Webb is not so much the known unknowns it is likely to make known, as the UNknown unknowns it might reveal.
We will actually be able to see the wall that represents the outer confines of our simulated reality?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Jan 22

@wildgrass
We already see that wall, it's called the CBR, cosmic background radiation. That is as close as any optical scope will get.
To see further, you have to have specialized gravitational wave detectors that can go back before there were atoms, look at the original pea soup of the universe.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
31 Jan 22

So how is Webby doing? Is it all chilled out yet? Has it self-tested all its circuits? Are its power cells warming up nicely? Is it sad and lonely, or happy and excited?

w

Moves
01 Feb 22

@bunnyknight said
So how is Webby doing? Is it all chilled out yet? Has it self-tested all its circuits? Are its power cells warming up nicely? Is it sad and lonely, or happy and excited?
Someone could, and probably should, write a fan fiction novel about the telescope personified.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Feb 22

@wildgrass
You mean anthropomorphizing it? Make it into the newest Puppet?

Moves
02 Feb 22
1 edit

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

For anyone interested in how the "Webby" is doing, here's the link. It is under controlled cooling, and will be for a good while yet.

PS: I ride Harley Davidson motorcycles. Several of my friends were in a garage on a rainy day, waiting for the rain to cease. One mentioned his bike had a name. The others joined in, and they had also named their bikes. Finally, one asked what I called mine (I was currently riding a very old model--over 30 years old) and I had never really thought about naming it. Quickly, however, and not to be outdone, I told them I called it "Start You Son of a _______"!