1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 Jul '18 23:01
    The more we learn, the more it explodes. Maybe we should try a different approach.
  2. Joined
    11 Jul '18
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 16:54
    the only goal and reason for humanity is to advance enough to go out into Space !! The other aliens have visited here for thousands of years..to guide us to that end. And/or..be able to travel into all the other dimensions that we have. There are 11
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Jul '18 19:54
    Originally posted by @apathist
    The more we learn, the more it explodes. Maybe we should try a different approach.
    There haven't been new explosives discovered as a result of any discovery since nuclear fusion. I think there is little risk of a more powerful weapon being developed as a result of fundamental physics research. In any case the most powerful hydrogen bomb detonated was the 50 megaton RDS-220 aka Tsar Bomba. The fireball had a radius of about 4km, all buildings were destroyed in the village of Severny 55 km from the hemicentre, window panes were broken up to a distance of 900 km. There really isn't much point in having a weapon with a larger yield than this. So I don't think new knowledge will explode.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 23:33
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    There haven't been new explosives discovered as a result of any discovery since nuclear fusion. I think there is little risk of a more powerful weapon being developed as a result of fundamental physics research. In any case the most powerful hydrogen bomb detonated was the 50 megaton RDS-220 aka Tsar Bomba. The fireball had a radius of about 4km, all ...[text shortened]... in having a weapon with a larger yield than this. So I don't think new knowledge will explode.
    I don't think he was using 'explode' in the literal sense. Not sure WHAT he meant however.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Jul '18 00:16
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I don't think he was using 'explode' in the literal sense. Not sure WHAT he meant however.
    So I felt free to interpret his post as I saw fit.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Jul '18 10:39
    Originally posted by @pjmasks
    [cut]. And/or..be able to travel into all the other dimensions that we have. There are 11
    Would you like to Elaborate?
    We can define as many dimensions as we want to (look at the more extreme variations of the string theory)...but waht other (spatial) Dimension beyond our three can you Access by which means?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '18 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Would you like to Elaborate?
    We can define as many dimensions as we want to (look at the more extreme variations of the string theory)...but waht other (spatial) Dimension beyond our three can you Access by which means?
    Good luck on that one🙂

Let's see, if we shrunk ourselves down to Planck length size, maybe we can just step into those other dimensions......
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '18 19:58
    What different approach? To not learn?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 00:22
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    What different approach? To not learn?
    Maybe (correct me if I am wrong, Apathist) you are saying we should not stick our heads where it doesn't belong? Some knowledge too dangerous for mankind to know?
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 14:53
    Maybe (correct me if I am wrong, Apathist) you are saying we should not stick our heads where it doesn't belong? Some knowledge too dangerous for mankind to know?
    How do we know where our heads don't belong?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 13:121 edit
    I think he is implying that whenever we go one step deeper, we find 10 more steps...a never ending staircase of knowledge. Something like division as a scientific approach will always ultimately fail to accurately describe the system...maybe that is what he is saying.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Aug '18 15:47
    Can you define what 'it' is in that sentence? Does it for instance, mean the more we learn the more we realize we have a lot more to learn, therefore an infinite series of learning we would need to understand the universe or some such?
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 01:48
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    How do we know where our heads don't belong?
    In lieu of common sense, experimentation.
  14. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 12:04
    This seems to be true. The more we know, the more we realize how much we don't know. This may explain why most of the really brilliant minds are also the most humble.

A different approach? Maybe, but I don't know what that entails.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 16:27
    Originally posted by @mchill
    This seems to be true. The more we know, the more we realize how much we don't know. This may explain why most of the really brilliant minds are also the most humble.

A different approach? Maybe, but I don't know what that entails.
    We have to ASSUME that is what he meant. He seems to state his POV and then disappear, never to be heard of in the thread again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree