1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    20 Jul '18 23:01
    The more we learn, the more it explodes. Maybe we should try a different approach.
  2. Joined
    11 Jul '18
    Moves
    569
    22 Jul '18 16:54
    the only goal and reason for humanity is to advance enough to go out into Space !! The other aliens have visited here for thousands of years..to guide us to that end. And/or..be able to travel into all the other dimensions that we have. There are 11
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78502
    22 Jul '18 19:54
    Originally posted by @apathist
    The more we learn, the more it explodes. Maybe we should try a different approach.
    There haven't been new explosives discovered as a result of any discovery since nuclear fusion. I think there is little risk of a more powerful weapon being developed as a result of fundamental physics research. In any case the most powerful hydrogen bomb detonated was the 50 megaton RDS-220 aka Tsar Bomba. The fireball had a radius of about 4km, all buildings were destroyed in the village of Severny 55 km from the hemicentre, window panes were broken up to a distance of 900 km. There really isn't much point in having a weapon with a larger yield than this. So I don't think new knowledge will explode.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52612
    23 Jul '18 23:33
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    There haven't been new explosives discovered as a result of any discovery since nuclear fusion. I think there is little risk of a more powerful weapon being developed as a result of fundamental physics research. In any case the most powerful hydrogen bomb detonated was the 50 megaton RDS-220 aka Tsar Bomba. The fireball had a radius of about 4km, all ...[text shortened]... in having a weapon with a larger yield than this. So I don't think new knowledge will explode.
    I don't think he was using 'explode' in the literal sense. Not sure WHAT he meant however.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78502
    24 Jul '18 00:16
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I don't think he was using 'explode' in the literal sense. Not sure WHAT he meant however.
    So I felt free to interpret his post as I saw fit.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    513846
    24 Jul '18 10:39
    Originally posted by @pjmasks
    [cut]. And/or..be able to travel into all the other dimensions that we have. There are 11
    Would you like to Elaborate?
    We can define as many dimensions as we want to (look at the more extreme variations of the string theory)...but waht other (spatial) Dimension beyond our three can you Access by which means?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52612
    24 Jul '18 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Would you like to Elaborate?
    We can define as many dimensions as we want to (look at the more extreme variations of the string theory)...but waht other (spatial) Dimension beyond our three can you Access by which means?
    Good luck on that one🙂

    Let's see, if we shrunk ourselves down to Planck length size, maybe we can just step into those other dimensions......
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    6975
    01 Aug '18 19:58
    Originally posted by @apathist
    The more we learn, the more it explodes. Maybe we should try a different approach.
    What different approach? To not learn?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52612
    02 Aug '18 00:22
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    What different approach? To not learn?
    Maybe (correct me if I am wrong, Apathist) you are saying we should not stick our heads where it doesn't belong? Some knowledge too dangerous for mankind to know?
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    6975
    02 Aug '18 14:53
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Maybe (correct me if I am wrong, Apathist) you are saying we should not stick our heads where it doesn't belong? Some knowledge too dangerous for mankind to know?
    How do we know where our heads don't belong?
  11. Subscriberjoe shmo
    Strange Egg
    podunk, PA
    Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    7733
    03 Aug '18 13:121 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Maybe (correct me if I am wrong, Apathist) you are saying we should not stick our heads where it doesn't belong? Some knowledge too dangerous for mankind to know?
    I think he is implying that whenever we go one step deeper, we find 10 more steps...a never ending staircase of knowledge. Something like division as a scientific approach will always ultimately fail to accurately describe the system...maybe that is what he is saying.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52612
    21 Aug '18 15:47
    Originally posted by @apathist
    The more we learn, the more it explodes. Maybe we should try a different approach.
    Can you define what 'it' is in that sentence? Does it for instance, mean the more we learn the more we realize we have a lot more to learn, therefore an infinite series of learning we would need to understand the universe or some such?
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    go phish
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    22 Aug '18 01:48
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    How do we know where our heads don't belong?
    In lieu of common sense, experimentation.
  14. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1278
    22 Aug '18 12:04
    Originally posted by @apathist
    The more we learn, the more it explodes. Maybe we should try a different approach.
    This seems to be true. The more we know, the more we realize how much we don't know. This may explain why most of the really brilliant minds are also the most humble.

    A different approach? Maybe, but I don't know what that entails.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52612
    23 Aug '18 16:27
    Originally posted by @mchill
    This seems to be true. The more we know, the more we realize how much we don't know. This may explain why most of the really brilliant minds are also the most humble.

    A different approach? Maybe, but I don't know what that entails.
    We have to ASSUME that is what he meant. He seems to state his POV and then disappear, never to be heard of in the thread again.
Back to Top