1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 08:061 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    To the big bang (BB) deniers:

Not everyone who accepts the fact of the BB thinks it was necessarily the start of space and time because there are many scientific variations of theory on this and science has not yet told us conclusively once and for all exactly which theory is correct.
    But, IF the BB was the start of space and time then that does NOT then this would strengthen and NOT weaken the case for the BB!
    Stephen Hawking described a theory that does say something could have come from nothing... and he meant literally nothing. No virtual particles, no mysterious vibrations acting on a sea of whatever, he literally meant what a true definition of nothingness is.

In a nutshell, the idea is that nothing could have spontaneously split into positive and negative material values, and the only reason we are still here is because those positives and negatives haven't yet interacted with one another. If they all came into contact with each other they would all cancel out, and we would be back to nothing again.

The problem is this theory somehow assumes an agent or force causing nothing to split into two piles of somethings. As an aside it also assumes these two piles of oppositely charged somethings are separated by who knows what, I can't even begin to guess what is separating them. So even if there was a force or agent that could do this, you have to at least assume the existence of that force or agent... and that force or agent would be something. To say (or imply) something could be in (or act on) nothing is logically inconsistent with the idea of absolute nothingness.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 08:105 edits
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Stephen Hawking described a theory that does say something could have come from nothing... and he meant literally nothing. No virtual particles, no mysterious vibrations acting on a sea of whatever, he literally meant what a true definition of nothingness is.

In a nutshell, the idea is that nothing could have spontaneously split into posi uld be in (or act on) nothing is logically inconsistent with the idea of absolute nothingness.
    Stephen Hawking described a theory that does say something could have come from nothing..

Then he is simply wrong. Scientists are only human and thus can be and often are wrong just like the rest of us.
    But scientific facts are never wrong -just people. And thus all of my claims I made in that last post still stand.
    So your point is...?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 09:08
    [b]IF the earths axis of rotation was east/west instead of north/south then you could travel south forever in endless circles around the earth without ever traveling north.[/b]
    Nevertheless, there is no such thing as 181 degrees longitude West. Dimensions may be finite and circular or finite and bounded, but to talk of something outside a dimension as if it is part of the dimension remains an error.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 10:47
    Stephen Hawking described a theory that does say something could have come from nothing..

Then he is simply wrong. Scientists are only human and thus can be and often are wrong just like the rest of us.
    But scientific facts are never wrong -just people. And thus all of my claims I made in that last post still stand.
    So your point is...?
    Actually no.

Something from nothing, and that's absolute nothing, is an inevitable
    consequence of the uncertainty principle.

Current physics absolutely allows (and observes) something from nothing.

Whether there was actually nothing before the big bang is a different question.
    But it's certainly possible under our current understanding of physics for
    something (including the entire universe and the laws of physics that govern it)
    to spontaneously arise from absolutely nothing.

And to the best of our ability to tell the total energy budget of the universe is 0

The positive energy of matter is balanced out by the negative energy of gravity.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 10:48
    Originally posted by apathist
    The big bang happened somewhere.
    Yes, the big bang happened in the space within the big bang.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 10:56
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In predicate logic, a statement such as "all cats have teeth" would be written differently (I can't write the syntax here, but look it up if you're interested).

A statement can be both illogical and true, for example:
    All cows are mammals,
    therefore,
    grass is green.

Both the premise and the conclusion are true, but one does not follow logically from the other.
    I think you are getting mixed up in your terms...

"All cows are mammals" is a statement of fact
    as is "Grass is green"

"All cows are mammals,
    therefore,
    grass is green." is an argument... and is logically invalid.

The argument is false even though both statements in it are true.
    (well kinda true... grass is not always actually green but we can
    assume it is for the purposes of this discussion)

It is not true that grass is green because all cows are mammals.
    Thus the argument is illogical and false.

I am not convinced that you can have an illogical argument that
    is also true. (I am actually reasonably sure you can't)

And this example does nothing to change that.

You can of course have a completely logical statement that is false
    but that does not necessitate that it's possible to have an illogical
    statement that is true.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 10:56
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Actually no.

Something from nothing, and that's absolute nothing, is an inevitable
    consequence of the uncertainty principle.

Whether there was actually nothing before the big bang is a different question.
    But it's certainly possible under our current understanding of phy ...[text shortened]... verse is 0

The positive energy of matter is balanced out by the negative energy of gravity.

How would the uncertainty principle do so?
    Can you give a specific example?
    Would virtual particles or Hawking radiation be supposed examples? If so, that wouldn't be something from 'nothing' because the vacuum of space is not 'nothing'! And, according to standard theory, the energy in Hawking radiation doesn't come from 'nothing' but rather from the mass of the black hole.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 10:59

as is "Grass is green"

"All cows are mammals,
    therefore,

(well kinda true... grass is not always actually green but we c ...[text shortened]... t does not necessitate that it's possible to have an illogical
    statement that is true.
    That is what I thought but he made me seriously doubt myself.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 11:33

How would the uncertainty principle do so?
    Can you give a specific example?
    Would virtual particles or Hawking radiation be supposed examples? If so, that wouldn't be something from 'nothing' because the vacuum of space is not 'nothing'! And, according to standar ...[text shortened]... awking radiation doesn't come from 'nothing' but rather from the mass of the black hole.
    I will look up later when I have the facility a talk by a cosmologist where he
    talks about just this...

However hawking radiation is just virtual particles given an energy boost by
    the black hole. The virtual particles themselves are not generated by the
    black hole.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 11:36
    I will look up later when I have the facility a talk by a cosmologist where he
    talks about just this...

However hawking radiation is just virtual particles given an energy boost by
    the black hole. The virtual particles themselves are not generated by the
    black hole.
    yes, I knew that.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 12:21
    yes, I knew that.
    ok but your earlier post made it look like you didn't...

Maybe I just misunderstood it.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 12:41

In a nutshell, the idea is that nothing could have spontaneously split into posi ...[text shortened]... uld be in (or act on) nothing is logically inconsistent with the idea of absolute nothingness.
    Can you give a link to the exact words Hawking said, what theory he is talking about? If it is going like you said, it would seem to imply there was an agency, or as creationists like to say, an intelligent designer.

As far as I know, Hawking is atheistic. Not sure if he would tout such a theory.
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 13:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Can you give a link to the exact words Hawking said, what theory he is talking about? If it is going like you said, it would seem to imply there was an agency, or as creationists like to say, an intelligent designer.

As far as I know, Hawking is atheistic. Not sure if he would tout such a theory.
    Well Hawking recently (last year?) announced that physics had proved that god didn't exist, but that doesn't preclude him having talked about the possibility of a 'designer' before.

Although I suspect it would be more along the lines of mollifying those who believe in a god by allowing the possibility that the big bang could have been started by an intelligence rather than him actually believing it.
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 15:411 edit

as is "Grass is green"

"All cows are mammals,
    therefore,

(well kinda true... grass is not always actually green but we c t does not necessitate that it's possible to have an illogical
    statement that is true.
    You can of course have a completely logical statement that is false but that does not necessitate that it's possible to have an illogical statement that is true.

Yes: a deductive argument can be logically valid (the conclusion follows necessarily from the premises), while being unsound—i.e., the conclusion is not true (does not correspond to the facts/reality).

I suggest that logic—while therefore not being the “ultimate arbiter of truth”—is the arbiter of coherence. An illogical argument is not worth considering.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 16:32

But it's certainly possible under our current understanding of physics for
    something (including the entire universe and the laws of physics that govern it)
    to spontaneously arise from absolutely nothing.
    No offense intended, please, but that claim makes zero sense and is not supported by science.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree