This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 00:51
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    BTW, an underwater mic is called a hydrophone. I used to work at a place called Autec, Atlantic Underwater Test Center on Andros Island in the Bahamas. Tough job but SOMEBODY had to do it๐Ÿ™‚

The reason for its existence is TOTO, 'Tongue of the Ocean', just to the east of Andros is a peculiar formation where most of the water around Andros is about 10 feet deep, TOTO is a kidney bean shaped cliff about 120 miles long and 30ish miles wide where it goes pretty much straight down 8,000 feet deep. It turns out to be a great place to test torpedo's and submarines and other naval goodies.

They lined the bottom with literally hundreds of hydrophones in a specific pattern and then dozens of cables going all the way to the bottom, with hydrophones every ten feet or so, like about 80 of them on each vertical cable. So each mic has to have a cable going to the central analysis site but it goes, well, went (not sure if the technology is the same now) but when I was there they sent the cables to a microwave tower that took all those hundreds of hydrophone sounds and sent it on a very wideband microwave signal to the main base.

I loved to be in the control room after hours where I could switch in any one of hundreds of hydrophones and just listen to the incredible sounds down there, whales, dolphins, it sounded like you were on an alien planet.

All we would have to do is contact them and see if there were recordings to study. I don't know if Beluga whales ever showed up there, you can't just go outside and see all of TOTO unless you have special equipment which I certainly didn't have.

They might be willing to part with some of the sounds recorded. I would certainly not be remembered as having ever been there, it is a British Sub base, not American and ATT RCA was the company doing the maintenance contract and they lost it while I was there so only got to live there for a couple of years. I would be there today if they had let me stay๐Ÿ™‚ God knows how many companies have had that contract by now. It was a really really fun job.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 01:54

4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 03:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    BTW, an underwater mic is called a hydrophone. I used to work at a place called Autec, Atlantic Underwater Test Center on Andros Island in the Bahamas. Tough job but SOMEBODY had to do it๐Ÿ™‚

The reason for its existence is TOTO, 'Tongue of the Ocean', just to the east of Andros is a peculiar formation where most of the water around Andros is about 10 fee ...[text shortened]... od knows how many companies have had that contract by now. It was a really really fun job.
    That would have been an excellent job. I bet there are other places as well with underwater hydrophones that they may have recordings of whales. It would be interesting to see if there are other whales that have made sounds similar to the whale of subject.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 17:44
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    That would have been an excellent job. I bet there are other places as well with underwater hydrophones that they may have recordings of whales. It would be interesting to see if there are other whales that have made sounds similar to the whale of subject.
    My guess is no, just the one Beluga.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 18:09

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 19:571 edit

8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 22:52

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree