1. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 05:39
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/article/9586806/have-we-found-life-on-mars/
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 10:191 edit
    This was discussed before.

It is mostly an artefact of image processing. It might be a rocky outcrop, or just a patch or lighter coloured sand. The squary-ness is what is called 'pixelation' and is a result of trying to magnify an image beyond its true resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixelation

That anyone would report it without realising this suggests a really low standard of reporting.
  3. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    11 Feb '12 11:27
    so that's all it was a pixelation space station lol

Thanks
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 18:51
    Originally posted by tim88
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/article/9586806/have-we-found-life-on-mars/
    What's on Mars? I'm guessing lots and lots of rocks.

Wanna go?
  5. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 06:36
    This guy must be the type that has no problems when CSI zooms in on the reflection of a bumper to see the reflection on a store window which shows the killer.

Amazing how you can take 12 pixels of an image, a miniscule white blip on a giant planet, and presume that those pixels are an exact and accurate representation of what is on the surface of Mars.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '12 13:30
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    Amazing how you can take 12 pixels of an image, a miniscule white blip on a giant planet, and presume that those pixels are an exact and accurate representation of what is on the surface of Mars.
    And yet, you can make a seven-letter password un-"hack"-able by typing really quickly.

It is ridiculous what these media numbskulls will believe when it comes to computers. It would be amusing if the general public wasn't so likely to believe that journalists know what they're talking about.

Richard
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    14 Feb '12 12:33
    Originally posted by tim88
    OMG? 😲...... There ISSZZZZ life on Mars. Proof at last!

Whoopeeeee.

William Hill owes me 3.4 quadrillion baht! πŸ˜€

Wet HEY! I'm over the moon!

-m. πŸ˜‰
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 19:042 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    OMG? 😲...... There ISSZZZZ life on Mars. Proof at last!

Whoopeeeee.

William Hill owes me 3.4 quadrillion baht! πŸ˜€

Wet HEY! I'm over the moon!

-m. πŸ˜‰
    I have one of Atlantis in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean LOL on Google Earth

Looks man made but obviously someone could of placed (Hacked) that image in there somehow and also it could be a natural formation. πŸ™‚

@ 31' 16'55.99 N by 24'22'55.30 W looks like lines or tracks ?

Manny
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 23:15
    You mean the 105 mile wide image artefact?

been debunked and ridiculed already.

31 16'56 N, 24 22'55 W

If you want to copy past those coordinates actually work in google earth.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 13:332 edits
    Originally posted by menace71
    Looks man made but obviously someone could of placed (Hacked) that image in there somehow and also it could be a natural formation. πŸ™‚

@ 31' 16'55.99 N by 24'22'55.30 W looks like lines or tracks ?
    Its pretty well known to those of us who use Google earth a lot, that these are sonar tracks of ships. They are all over the oceans, not just here. They are basically lines of higher resolution in the data. However Google recently changed Google earth to make it look more uniform from higher up, so such things are now a lot less obvious.

I have no problem with amateur arm chair adventurers using tools like Google Earth or Google Mars to learn about the universe and maybe even find stuff in the imagery that nobody else has noticed. But when a reporter takes up stories like these and turns them into a sensationalist articles, and doesn't even bother to check the basic facts, or print the well known explanation for a phenomena, then they are being irresponsible.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 01:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead

I have no problem with amateur arm chair adventurers using tools like Google Earth or Google Mars to learn about the universe and maybe even find stuff in the imagery that nobody else has noticed. But when a reporter takes up stories like these and turns them into a sensationalist articles, and doesn't even bother to check the basic facts, or print the well known explanation for a phenomena, then they are being irresponsible.[/b]
    Lol Whats the problem, did you get a fright.
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 01:44
    if you want compelling and thought provoking examination of martian anomalies (and you have to be into conspiracy theories), check out the mars anomaly research project.

http://www.marsanomalyresearch.com/

which oddly enough, also covers moon anomalies.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 06:351 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Lol Whats the problem, did you get a fright.
    Huh? I have a problem with people deliberately spreading misinformation for sensationalist reasons. I don't see why you think I got a fright. Frightened by what?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 17:232 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Huh? I have a problem with people deliberately spreading misinformation for sensationalist reasons. I don't see why you think I got a fright. Frightened by what?
    Well, it might be a missile silo. Bet you never thought of THAT oneπŸ™‚

Seriously, I would like to see this cleared up, as it wereπŸ™‚ We can put it to bed just like the 'face on mars'. I think some people still think it's a face, even with better images.....

I think it will be interesting to find out just what it is, assuming it is just a natural outcrop of rocks, the clearly white color has to be saying something about the mineralization in that area.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree