1. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 16:08
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    'Meaningless' you say. Define 'meaningless'. Meaningless for whom?
    Without consciousness there is no "whom"
  2. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 16:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I disagree. A book written 1000 years ago about space still retains meaning even if no consciousness has read it since it was written, or even if no consciousness ever reads it.
    And I disagree with that: ink on a page contains no meaning in and of itself. It requires consciousness to extract meaning from it.

This conversation really doesn't belong in the "science" forum though.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 16:21
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    Without consciousness there is no "whom"
    Exactly, without consciousness the meaning of 'meaningless' lacks meaning.

Meaning that the first billion of years of the existance of the universe, when nothing had any consciousness there is no meaning in describing the universe as meaningless, nor with meaning.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 17:04
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    This is as profound as the falling tree in the forest with nobody around to hear it fall.
    It may be trite, but it's as well to bear it in mind.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 17:05
    I disagree. A book written 1000 years ago about space still retains meaning even if no consciousness has read it since it was written, or even if no consciousness ever reads it.
    Interesting. How so?
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 17:12

Meaning that the first billion of years of the existance of the universe, when nothing had any consciousness there is no meaning in describing the universe as meaningless, nor with meaning.
    Not sure we can be sure of the presence or absence of mind during the period you mention, but fair enough.

Well, where 'space' & 'time' are meaningful, there must be consciousness.

So what? I quite agree. Carry on.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 17:581 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Interesting. How so?
    How not so? You would not pick up the book and say it is meaningless.

People seem to give consciousness way to much credit.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 18:16
    How not so? You would not pick up the book and say it is meaningless.

People seem to give consciousness way to much credit.
    I'd assume it was potentially meaningful and not only because of what it might contain, but then again I am a conscious interpreter of the fact of the book.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 19:29

But the machinations of the universe proceeded quite well, stars formed, planetary systems, comets, planets crashing into planets and so forth, all without a shred of consciousness so as far as the universe is concerned we are just a scum on dust motes with no reality of our own.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 20:46
    I'd assume it was potentially meaningful and not only because of what it might contain, but then again I am a conscious interpreter of the fact of the book.
    And I disagree. We do not say 'potentially meaningful' when referring to books, we say 'meaningful'.

Ultimately 'meaning', simply means that one thing represents another. So even a robot or computer can find meaning in something. Consciousness is not required.

Even a DVD player can interpret the meaning of the 1s and 0s on the disk and display the appropriate picture on the tv.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 21:14
    And I disagree. We do not say 'potentially meaningful' when referring to books, we say 'meaningful'.

Ultimately 'meaning', simply means that one thing represents another. So even a robot or computer can find meaning in something. Consciousness is not required.

Even a DVD player can interpret the meaning of the 1s and 0s on the disk and display the appropriate picture on the tv.
    A book might contain a sequence of randomly generated characters. So until you actually read the thing and attempt to make sense of it, it is only potentially meaningful. Of course the production of a meaningless book would in itself be an intentional act that would invite interpretation, but the text of the book itself would still not convey anything sensible.

A DVD player performs a mechanical operation not an interpretation. It produces an object that is in turn subject to interpretation. The same film is repeated whenever you press 'play' but your interpretation of it could differ every time.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 06:06
    A book might contain a sequence of randomly generated characters. So until you actually read the thing and attempt to make sense of it, it is only potentially meaningful. Of course the production of a meaningless book would in itself be an intentional act that would invite interpretation, but the text of the book itself would still not convey anything sensible.
    Now you are deliberately trying to avoid the issue. We both know that we are talking about books with meaningful information in. My point is that the information is in the book and has meaning regardless of whether you read it or not. If anything you have proved my point as you admit that the only way the book could not contain meaning is if it contained random characters, and even then you not so sure. At no point does having a consciousness create that meaning or cause that meaning to exist. It is either there or it isn't.

A DVD player performs a mechanical operation ...
    And so does your brain, or 'consciousness'.

... not an interpretation.
    And what is the magic ingredient that consciousness uses to do an 'interpretation'?

It produces an object that is in turn subject to interpretation. The same film is repeated whenever you press 'play' but your interpretation of it could differ every time.
    That is not an explanation. Your inability to repeat the same process only shows that you are not designed to the same standard of accuracy as a DVD player. It would be trivial (but rather counter productive) to design a DVD player that gave different pictures on each play.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 06:091 edit
    The information content of an arrangement of matter can be mathematically defined...it's related to the inverse of the entropy I think. No need for conciousness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(information_theory)
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 06:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That piece says pretty much nothing:
    It mentions the word 'biocentrism' and 'quantum theory' with no links or anything then at the end of the piece, this:

Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialitie ...[text shortened]... ate'. Well that's nice, but what experiments? No links. So it's a nothing article.
    Profound statements with no content. These are very common. I find them annoying because people find them so enthralling and yet because there is no content they cannot be refuted.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 11:39
    Now you are deliberately trying to avoid the issue. We both know that we are talking about books with meaningful information in. My point is that the information is in the book and has meaning regardless of whether you read it or not. If anything you have proved my point as you admit that the only way the book could not contain meaning is if it contained ...[text shortened]... her counter productive) to design a DVD player that gave different pictures on each play.
    We don't 'both know' anything -- we're having a conversation and, it seems, a disagreement on the application of words like 'mean', 'interpret', 'understand'. I'm happy to let it go. Still, the better to understand you, I can't help asking further questions:

Does a DVD player understand what it is playing?
    Does a printer understand the contents of a document it prints?
    Will the Chat Roulette genital recognition algorithm comprehend the significance of the patterns it is designed to recognise?

(See: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/06/15/1419224/Chatroulette-Working-On-Genital-Recognition-Algorithm )

Am I correct in assuming that you consider creativity to be a mechanical operation?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree