1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 10:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well I am usually not able to judge. It often seems like nonsense to me, but I realize that they may be using their own special language and relying on information and ideas that I am not privy to. This is not unlike Christians and their use of words like 'life' and 'death' in totally non scientific ways.
    Why not go on a course? Perhaps a retreat by Rob Nairn. He's often in Cape Town.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Nairn

Odd -- he looks like an older version of the way I imagine you look. (No doubt you look completely different. How do you interpret my remark?).
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 14:31
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Why not go on a course?
    Because I suspect it would be a waste of my time. As I have said, much of what those with Buddhist leanings say is incomprehensible to me, I don't see why this would be different. They talk in their own specific language and don't appear to realize that their listeners do not understand what they are saying half the time. What I have not worked out is whether this is deliberate or unintentional.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 14:37
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Odd -- he looks like an older version of the way I imagine you look.
    I don't think he looks anything like me, but you might be on to something as I can see a some resemblance to my father and my uncle at that age - though not quite enough to think I am related.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 15:541 edit
    Because I suspect it would be a waste of my time. As I have said, much of what those with Buddhist leanings say is incomprehensible to me, I don't see why this would be different. They talk in their own specific language and don't appear to realize that their listeners do not understand what they are saying half the time. What I have not worked out is whether this is deliberate or unintentional.
    Why not put your hypothesis to the test? If you are correct, you will save a lot of time in that in future (is there an adverb -- futurarily?) you can automatically dismiss Bhuddist views as being of no account.

Forgive me if this appeal smacks of missionary zeal -- I just think you might learn something from the experience.

The reason I recommend Rob Nairn is that he's as dry as a stick (like you 😛 ). absolutely no mystic hocus-pocus.
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 16:22
    I am not a teacher but I will joyfully give it a shot🙂

Child of a noble family twhitehead, now listen to me carefully without distraction

Whatever exists is a product of the mind

Mind is the essence inside you that enables you to ask: when you ask me a question, your mind asks me a question. And when I reply to you, my mind replies to you. If you had no mind, how could you ever ask?

Avoidance of delusion is impossible to be achieved somewhere out of your mind. So mind is the essence of your nature and, although your nature is free of characteristics, it defines the reality

Mind is Buddha and Buddha is mind, and Buddha is your Perfected Nature, and your Perfected Nature is not somewhere out of your own mind

A Buddha cannot save a Buddha, and if you use your mind in order to find Buddha you will never find him. As long as you are seeking for Buddha at a place out of your mind, you will never conceive that your mind is Buddha. Do not use Buddha in order to worship Buddha

When you will conceive your own nature you will conceive Buddha

In order to find Buddha you have merely to conceive your own nature. If you do not conceive your nature and you try to find Buddha here and there, you will not find Buddha. In fact there is nothing to be found

If you see in front of you a Buddha you don’t have to worship him. The ones who do worship are ignorant and the ones who know don’t worship, because the ones who know they do not worship delusions fabricated from their own mind. The basic nature of a Buddha has no shape, so cultivate no attachment to this kind of appearances

If you dream of a Buddha and you feel respect for him, you just tied down yourself on your own

So remember that your mind is the Buddha, and Buddha is your real body and your real mind, and this Buddha is Space-like and thus you cannot keep him. Whatever you do is a product of the mind

Thus I have heard:
    Whatever exists is a product of the mind;
    When your mind inside you stays calm, the Universe appears not;
    When you understand, the reality depends on you;
    When you do not understand, you are depending on the reality;
    When the reality depends on you, the unreal becomes real;
    When you are depending on the reality, everything is not real;
    When the reality depends on you, everything is real;

The illusion of hope, of future and of tomorrow is a deep illusion

How can you say that there is “body” and that there is “mind”? There is just BodyMind. You can use the first in order to handle the latter and vice versa

Use your mind in order to remain not trapped, and thus attain your Perfected Nature

Hell and Paradise are not places somewhere outside of your own mind, and your nature is the nature of your mind

May You Have Unmistaken Knowledge And Full Attainment of Your Perfected Nature

May All Beings Be Happy!
    😵
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 21:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If we can keep advancing in technology and math and fundamental physics like we have for the past couple hundred years, we may find ourselves able to actually see the time before what we call the beginning of time. This is predicated on the assumption there is more universe all around us than in our own 'finite but unbounded' universe. That is to say perhap ...[text shortened]... er of universes gives me more hope than all the religious doctrine on our little planet.
    Interesting thinking. My version is this:

Maybe we'll advance far enough to continue beyond the supposed "Heat Death" of the universe. Perhaps even that theoretically impassible barrier to human survival can be surpassed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree