1. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 May '09 19:36
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    But if the laws of physics make the possible PAST universes relatively few in number when compared to the possible FUTURE universes, doesn’t that imply that the laws of physics discriminate between “PAST” and “FUTURE”? and, if so, would that discriminate between “PAST” and “FUTURE” the laws of physics make mean, at least in some sense, the “arrow of ...[text shortened]... onary, wouldn’t you expect the laws of physics to NOT discriminate between “PAST” and “FUTURE”?
    The illusion is that we are traveling through time. There certainly is a difference between the two directions - that is no illusion.

-so far these are my thoughts on it although I am not sure if I may have made a subtle misunderstanding here because I don’t really understand the true nature of time (trying to get to grips with relativity at university pretty much convinced me so).
    Try getting to grips with quantum mechanics especially the implications of the two slit experiment.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 May '09 20:121 edit
    We know by experience that we have three spatial dimensions. Yet, the string theoreticans says we have in fact many more.

We know by experience that we have only one temporal dimension. Is there anything that forbids two temporal dimensions, or three, or even more?

We know by experience that we have two kinds of dimensions: spatial dimensions, and temporal dimension(s). Is there a possibility that there are more kinds of dimensions than the spatial and the temporal ones?
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    05 May '09 10:173 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The illusion is that we are traveling through time. There certainly is a difference between the two directions - that is no illusion.

[b]-so far these are my thoughts on it although I am not sure if I may have made a subtle misunderstanding here because I don’t really understand the true nature of time (trying to get to grips with relativity at univers ...[text shortened]... getting to grips with quantum mechanics especially the implications of the two slit experiment.

The illusion is that we are travelling through time.
    ..…[/b]

That makes sense to me -if I say that I am “travelling through space” then that is only meaningful if I mean “at one point in TIME I was at space coordinates X and at another point in TIME I was at space coordinates Y”.
    But if I say that I am “travelling through time” then it doesn’t make much sense to say I mean “at one point in TIME I was at time coordinate X and at another point in TIME I was at time coordinate Y” because that would imply there was some other kind of higher level “TIME” line outside that of the normal “time” line (and there is no premise to believe such a thing existences)

So what could we actually mean when we say we are “moving through time”? -I think this is an interesting question in psychological.
  4. Pittsburgh
    Moves
    20 May '09 08:31
    Basically the universe you see around you is a cross section of the universe as it exists in the 4th dimension. If you picture time as a line drawn from point a (say, your birth), to point b (your death), in the 4th dimension, as you (a 3 dimensional being) move through the 4th dimension, you observe cross sections of the 4th dimensional universe (each individual moment). When put together fluidly, this becomes the illusion of 'time', with the direction of it's flow being from a to b.

If you could step back, and see the 4th dimension as a whole, it would mean observing each moment in time between a & b simultaneously (seeing the whole line at once, rather than just each point on it as you move along it)
  5. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    21 May '09 03:51
    Originally posted by corthos
    Basically the universe you see around you is a cross section of the universe as it exists in the 4th dimension. If you picture time as a line drawn from point a (say, your birth), to point b (your death), in the 4th dimension, as you (a 3 dimensional being) move through the 4th dimension, you observe cross sections of the 4th dimensional universe (each indi ...[text shortened]... ously (seeing the whole line at once, rather than just each point on it as you move along it)
    Or you could fly around the earth East to West, you will always go back in time!
    So if you start at point A and fly through all the time zones, back to point A, in the same day, you have gained a day! Right?

😛
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    21 May '09 21:08
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    What are the implications?
    What if every time girls farted a monkey would jump out of their ass with a disgusted look on its face waving its hand back and forth in front of its nose then jumped back in the girl's ass once the stink had drifted away?

7. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    22 May '09 14:26
    Originally posted by uzless
    What if every time girls farted a monkey would jump out of their ass with a disgusted look on its face waving its hand back and forth in front of its nose then jumped back in the girl's ass once the stink had drifted away?

You need to hang out with women more.
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    22 May '09 14:341 edit
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    You need to hang out with women more.
    I just liked the visual

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree