1. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 09:413 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Because of the illusion we customarily refer to one direction as the past with a beginning and the other direction as the future and an end. Surely that is obvious?
    Hmm yes but shouldn't it influence how we perceive the question 'why?'?

edit. Is 'why?' even a valid scientific question?

For example, can we ever truly answer using science the most basic
    of queestions. Why do we dream?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 09:49
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Hmm yes but shouldn't it influence how we perceive the question 'why?'?

edit. Is 'why?' even a valid scientific question?
    Of course it influences it. Yes, 'why' is a valid scientific question, but we should remember to keep the future as well as the past in mind when answering it.

For example, can we ever truly answer using science the most basic
    of queestions. Why do we dream?

I really don't see how that question is really relevant at all. The question is not 'basic' but rather far to complex to answer without staying firmly within our illusion.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 13:56
    If anyone questions whether time can actually run backward, all they would have to do is read this thread to get absolute proof!

Please let's get back to the main point!

Now, try to think of one.
  4. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 09:23
    Originally posted by coquette
    If anyone questions whether time can actually run backward, all they would have to do is read this thread to get absolute proof!

Please let's get back to the main point!

Now, try to think of one.
    Not really sure what notion you're trying to emit?
  5. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 11:27
    In am not an astromenor / physicist, so this might be a dumb question.

If the Universe is closed, and starts to fall into itself (starts collapsing) after maximum expansion has been achieved, will time run backwards?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 15:10
    Originally posted by znsho
    In am not an astromenor / physicist, so this might be a dumb question.

If the Universe is closed, and starts to fall into itself (starts collapsing) after maximum expansion has been achieved, will time run backwards?
    No, the illusion of the direction of time is not directly a consequence of expansion - as far as I know.
  7. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 17:47
    No, the illusion of the direction of time is not directly a consequence of expansion - as far as I know.
    If so, then the collapse may not be an EXACT reversal of the expansion.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 05:21
    Originally posted by znsho
    If so, then the collapse may not be an EXACT reversal of the expansion.
    Even if time did run backwards, the collapse would still not be an exact reversal of the expansion.
    Having thought about it though I wonder what would happen to the Second Law of thermodynamics as it would almost certainly get violated as some point in the collapse. Since the Second Law is responsible for the time illusion it would be interesting to know what effects this would have.
  9. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '09 19:433 edits
  10. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    24 Apr '09 09:36
    Even if time did run backwards, the collapse would still not be an exact reversal of the expansion.
    Having thought about it though I wonder what would happen to the Second Law of thermodynamics as it would almost certainly get violated as some point in the collapse. Since the Second Law is responsible for the time illusion it would be interesting to know what effects this would have.
    How can there be a reversal of heat death?
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 May '09 21:541 edit
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    What are the implications?
    If time runs backwards, there is only one conclusion: we're on the Enterprise and going faster than c in an attempt to slingshot ourselves around the sun, thus placing us in time warp.😉
  12. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 May '09 02:42
    Time could be only a figment of our imagination...
  13. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    04 May '09 11:362 edits
    Originally posted by jman566
    Time could be only a figment of our imagination...
    I have sometimes considered that possibility.
    Although I don’t totally rule out the possibility, what could possibly be causing us to stubbornly imagine time as if it exists when no time exists?

And if time is just a figment of our imagination then, presumably, it would be meaningless to talk about the “temporal ordering of events“? (because there wouldn’t be such thing as “temporal”! ) -if so, then what is causing us to perceive one event coming “before” or “after” another when there is no such thing as “before” or “after” in the temporal sense!?

-and, what is causing us to perceive some events as being in the “past” while other events that are predicted to “about” to occur in the “future” and “then” (the “then” implies time) some of those predicted events to “about” to occur in the “future” to perceived to actually occur because that possible future is “then” perceived to become the present/past?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 May '09 14:021 edit
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I have sometimes considered that possibility.
    Although I don’t totally rule out the possibility, what could possibly be causing us to stubbornly imagine time as if it exists when no time exists?
    The time dimension exists (at least as much as the spacial dimensions).
    The arrow of time however is an illusion.
    The configuration of the universe at a point in time (eg now) tells us about all possible past and all possible future universes.
    Due to a quirk in the laws of physics, the possible past universes are relatively few when compared to the possible future universes. This gives the illusion that the past is fixed and the future is open.
    If the current state of the universe could give us an accurate picture of its state tomorrow we would not have a problem talking about 'remembering' tomorrow.
  15. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    04 May '09 16:00
    The time dimension exists (at least as much as the spacial dimensions).
    The arrow of time however is an illusion.
    The configuration of the universe at a point in time (eg now) tells us about all possible past and all possible future universes.
    Due to a quirk in the laws of physics, the possible past universes are relatively few when compared to the pos ...[text shortened]... icture of its state tomorrow we would not have a problem talking about 'remembering' tomorrow.

Due to a quirk in the laws of physics, the possible PAST universes are relatively few when compared to the possible FUTURE universes.
    ..…
    (my emphasis)

But if the laws of physics make the possible PAST universes relatively few in number when compared to the possible FUTURE universes, doesn’t that imply that the laws of physics discriminate between “PAST” and “FUTURE”? and, if so, would that discriminate between “PAST” and “FUTURE” the laws of physics make mean, at least in some sense, the “arrow of time” is non-illusionary? -I mean, if the “arrow of time” is illusionary, wouldn’t you expect the laws of physics to NOT discriminate between “PAST” and “FUTURE”?

-so far these are my thoughts on it although I am not sure if I may have made a subtle misunderstanding here because I don’t really understand the true nature of time (trying to get to grips with relativity at university pretty much convinced me so).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree