What if time runs backwards?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
11 Apr 09

What are the implications?

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
11 Apr 09
2 edits

If time actually runs backwards it would mean that at some point in
the future or present, reality or conciousness as we know it must
justify it's own existence.

Doesn't it make more sense that we are part of this progression with
variations of routes being played out than an indiscernable event
happening in the past?

Is free will just the boundaries of the game?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Apr 09

Originally posted by Thequ1ck
If time actually runs backwards it would mean that at some point in
the future or present, reality or conciousness as we know it must
justify it's own existence.

Doesn't it make more sense that we are part of this progression with
variations of routes being played out than an indiscernable event
happening in the past?

Is free will just the boundaries of the game?
This sounds like something for a philosophy discussion not science. What for instance, has 'justifying your existence' got to do with the flow of time?
Why do we need justification regardless of time flow? That justification is in the realm of religion for most people (not for me), but the old 'I think, therefore I am' is justification enough. Why does it have to be linked to the flow of time?
There is also ongoing research into the idea that time is an illusion anyway, a new physics description based on events not connected by time, eliminating time in relativity for instance. So that would make your quest a moot point if true.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
11 Apr 09

Originally posted by sonhouse
This sounds like something for a philosophy discussion not science. What for instance, has 'justifying your existence' got to do with the flow of time?
Why do we need justification regardless of time flow? That justification is in the realm of religion for most people (not for me), but the old 'I think, therefore I am' is justification enough. Why does it ...[text shortened]... inating time in relativity for instance. So that would make your quest a moot point if true.
Not at all, it's precisely the point that time doesn't have a direction
that begs the question 'why'.

And no, I don't think religion has a monopoly on this question. Do you?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Apr 09

Not at all, it's precisely the point that time doesn't have a direction
that begs the question 'why'.

And no, I don't think religion has a monopoly on this question. Do you?
Well there is evidence in the MBR of times arrow, and there is new theoretical work that time does not exist at all. News at 11.
I don't think religion has a handle on it either since all religions are simply the product of man's imagination.

F

Moves
12 Apr 09

You wouldn't know it.

If time runs backward then your brain does runs backward too. If you experienced a backward time backwards, then it would feel like forward.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
12 Apr 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
You wouldn't know it.

If time runs backward then your brain does runs backward too. If you experienced a backward time backwards, then it would feel like forward.
What would the implications then be for the 'beginning' of the universe?

F

Moves
12 Apr 09

What would the implications then be for the 'beginning' of the universe?
My answer was based only of the fact that the time arrow is pointing in one direction, and this direction is only a definition and nothing more.

In reality, this is not the case. The direction of time must be forward of the reason of enthropy. Within small systems where conversions of energy doesn't occur, the direction of time can be either way.

'Beginning' of the Universe is not such a small system, so the direction of time can only be forward.

e4

Moves
12 Apr 09

Hmmmm....

Let me think about this.

I'll give you my answer yesterday.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
13 Apr 09

When will RedHotPawn go operational? Could someone please tell me. I heard that Russ and Chris were planning on making it happen soon.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Apr 09

Someday, God will send His Son in the form of a corpse. He shall be resurrected on the cross, and His Italian friends will rescue Him, lovingly removing a spear from His side and then helping Him get off the cross.

In doing so, the Father will take away our salvation.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Apr 09

Time doesn't run or flow. Time is a dimension. What you perceive as the movement of time is an illusion that arises from the Second Law of Thermodynamics. You simply 'remember' the future far less accurately than you remember the past.

So you question really makes no sense.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
13 Apr 09
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Time doesn't run or flow. Time is a dimension. What you perceive as the movement of time is an illusion that arises from the Second Law of Thermodynamics. You simply 'remember' the future far less accurately than you remember the past.

So you question really makes no sense.
So why do we perceive the big bang as the beginning?

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
13 Apr 09

I remember when I was teleported in the matter transformer back to 2009 during an online chess game. That was such a quaint time in my life. Now that I'm only 13 years old and going on 12, I have to leave RHP because 13 is the age limit. I really wont miss playing chess on RHP, though, because my memories and experiences in that place have already been lost. I'm now looking forward to my 11th birthday and getting past this silly monthly inconvenience. Some friend that is!

Cape Town

Moves
14 Apr 09

So why do we perceive the big bang as the beginning?
Because of the illusion we customarily refer to one direction as the past with a beginning and the other direction as the future and an end. Surely that is obvious?