1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 19:41
    if we could eradicate human perception of time (minutes, days, years etc) does time really exist?

put it another way, is the universe in a state of no past or future yet at the same time everchanging?
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 19:53
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    if we could eradicate human perception of time (minutes, days, years etc) does time really exist?

put it another way, is the universe in a state of no past or future yet at the same time everchanging?
    I vote Yes--time exists. {in my mind's eye, I see Bertrand Russell answering this question by holding out his watch...}
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 20:51
    Yes, because time existed before man.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Jun '08 22:17

Does entropy of a system increase irrespective of human intervention? If the answer if yes (hint; it is), then time exists.
  5. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 15:591 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Does entropy of a system increase irrespective of human intervention? If the answer if yes (hint; it is), then time exists.
    but time cant be proved
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 16:05
    but time cant be proved
    You mean, the existence of time cannot be proven? Or the properties of time?
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 16:29
    but time cant be proved
    What does "time cannot be proved" mean exactly?
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 17:19
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    What does "time cannot be proved" mean exactly?
    That someone has more of it on their hands than they know what to
    do with. 🙂
    Kelly
  9. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 19:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You mean, the existence of time cannot be proven? Or the properties of time?
    not the properties, that can be proved... i mean the very essence of time, dont think existence is the right word...

my point is if i say there is no past or future and no time and the world is in a timeless state yet an everchanging state it cannot be disproved...
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 19:371 edit
    not the properties, that can be proved... i mean the very essence of time, dont think existence is the right word...

my point is if i say there is no past or future and no time and the world is in a timeless state yet an everchanging state it cannot be disproved...
    If there is only a present 'now', no past, no future, then the existance of time is meaningless, is this what you mean?
    Well, that's one way of seeing it.

In this case, the 'free will' exist. I'm the only one responsible to what will happen. If the future exist already, and time is only the road to it, then I don't have any 'free will'.

I like the idea of 'free will', therefore I like your idea of 'no time'.

When my boss wants me to do some impossible thing, then I just say "I do it in no time!" and in a deeper sense I'm right!
  11. the highway to hell
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 19:54
    time can be regarded as the sequence of events ?
  12. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 09:18
    If there is only a present 'now', no past, no future, then the existance of time is meaningless, is this what you mean?
    Well, that's one way of seeing it.

In this case, the 'free will' exist. I'm the only one responsible to what will happen. If the future exist already, and time is only the road to it, then I don't have any 'free will'.

I like the ...[text shortened]... le thing, then I just say "I do it in no time!" and in a deeper sense I'm right!
    yes, this is bordering more on buddist belief now than a science one, they state there is no past or future and all that has ever existed is now...

ie. when the pass happened it happened now, when the future happens it will happen now, when we look to the past we do it now, nothing can ever occur outside of now... why then do we have this logic that time exist and we are moving forward?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 13:35
    To quote a sci fi author I forget who, 'time is what keeps everything from happening at once'. Poul Anderson?
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 13:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    To quote a sci fi author I forget who, 'time is what keeps everything from happening at once'. Poul Anderson?
    "A famous physicist once said that "time is what keeps everything from happening at once". This is a funny answer, but in a sense it is true: time is a distance between events, just as space is a distance between places. We measure the "time distance" in seconds, just as we measure the "space distance" in inches, etc. One important difference between time and space, though, is that the two directions of are very different from each other: we are continually moving into the future, and cannot move into the past. In space the situation is quite different: we can move in any direction equally easily. It is still not understood by scientists why the two directions of time are so different from each other."

http://www.scienceline.ucsb.edu/search/DB/show_question.php?key=878928261
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 17:39
    "A famous physicist once said that "time is what keeps everything from happening at once". This is a funny answer, but in a sense it is true: time is a distance between events, just as space is a distance between places. We measure the "time distance" in seconds, just as we measure the "space distance" in inches, etc. One important difference between time ...[text shortened]... ach other."

http://www.scienceline.ucsb.edu/search/DB/show_question.php?key=878928261
    Reminds me of the professor that asked me why we remember the past and not the future. That's like asking why one uses sperm and not saliva to fertilize eggs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree