What's wrong with maths in the USA? Read this

What's wrong with maths in the USA? Read this

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Oct 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Eladar
Well then we agree on something. The US educational system operates under a terrible working model.
Ok, I thought for a second there you were actually defending it. It sucks so big nothing short of a complete change of government will cure it. Like fire every senator, congressman, governor, president, etc., start over with new people chosen in a lottery, that should eliminate the ones bought off beforehand. At least it would take the new ones a while to be in somebodies pocket. So I advocate a Lottocracy. Let me put it this way:
Could it possibly be worse than what we have now?

E

Moves
11 Oct 08

We just need a supreme courth that is willing to allow us to give different educations to different kids. We waste entirely too much money trying to pretend that certain kids should be in regular classrooms. Not only do those kids not learn what they are supposed to learn, but they get extra rescources which could easily be aimed at supporting the education of the very brightest.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Oct 08

We just need a supreme courth that is willing to allow us to give different educations to different kids. We waste entirely too much money trying to pretend that certain kids should be in regular classrooms. Not only do those kids not learn what they are supposed to learn, but they get extra rescources which could easily be aimed at supporting the education of the very brightest.
And on top of that, the ones who don't have any interest in learning disrupt the class from the ones that actually do want to learn. I have first hand experience with that. I have an adopted son, learning disabled who is learning printing technology and is going to our local Votec and he is one of the best in his class despite his disabilities because he is motivated to learn. At least half the other kids in the class are there because they are more or less pushed into it and are worse than just not learning, actually disrupting classes enough so the ones who want to learn have to put up with the assshole kids antics. The instructor freely admits to the same charge.

E

Moves
12 Oct 08

Oh yeah. There are definitely those who don't want to be there and keep people from learning. That's where the system like the one in Germany really works well. Different kids go to different schools. You won't find disruptive kids at the top level schools. If kids aren't learning, then they can go to the lowest level school.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
12 Oct 08

Why don't they have tiers of education anymore? There used to be an 'A'
track, a 'B' track and so on. This all existed before I was born, so I don't
know about the history that led this to change.

Does anyone know about this?

Nemesio

E

Moves
12 Oct 08

Tracking is evil because it doesn't give everyone the same opportunity.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
12 Oct 08

Tracking is evil because it doesn't give everyone the same opportunity.
Er. Isn't this what you're advocating?

E

Moves
12 Oct 08

Of course it is. I'm just telling you the point of view of those on the other side.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Oct 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
And on top of that, the ones who don't have any interest in learning disrupt the class from the ones that actually do want to learn. I have first hand experience with that. I have an adopted son, learning disabled who is learning printing technology and is going to our local Votec and he is one of the best in his class despite his disabilities because he is ...[text shortened]... have to put up with the assshole kids antics. The instructor freely admits to the same charge.
Those disruptive kids are ruining my class. I'm very new and inexperienced and those kids are making my life miserable.

E

Moves
12 Oct 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Those disruptive kids are ruining my class. I'm very new and inexperienced and those kids are making my life miserable.
Tell me about it.

All you can do is make parent contacts, see if you can get some support from administration and other teachers. Classroom control is the primary concern, teaching math comes second. It seems backwards, but without the control, you can't teach the math.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
Ok, I thought for a second there you were actually defending it. It sucks so big nothing short of a complete change of government will cure it. Like fire every senator, congressman, governor, president, etc., start over with new people chosen in a lottery, that should eliminate the ones bought off beforehand. At least it would take the new ones a while to b ...[text shortened]... dvocate a Lottocracy. Let me put it this way:
Could it possibly be worse than what we have now?
Or you could just get rid of the morons in Departments of Education across this country who believe school vouchers are the answer.

Vouchers do not permit poor people to send their bright kids to the best schools in town (they still can't pay the tab, even after the discount), they only allow rich people to send their kids (bright or not)to the private school they already attend at a discount.

E

Moves
16 Oct 08

Getting rid of vouchers isn't going to get kids to pay attention in class and do their homework.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Oct 08

Getting rid of vouchers isn't going to get kids to pay attention in class and do their homework.
I think a lot of that is due to the culture of entertainment we have inculcated in kids. There is this underlying 'right to entertainment' that seems to be completely infused in kids today where they need to have crap stuck in their ears all day 24/7, be it text messaging, Ipod, handheld video games, the idea everyone should have input but nobody wants to do actual output like real world work, homework, research, etc. It leaves only a few kids with motivation for output when the entire culture screams 'let me entertain you'. Kids today think if you don't entertain me when you teach, forget me actually being interested in what you have to say, so a teacher now has to be half clown, 3/4 clown to get a point across.

c

Moves
17 Oct 08

Hell, I neither paid attention in class nor did my homework for today, and they're paying me for it! I suppose it's a little different at this level of education...