1. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 09:44
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 09:50
    It is a side effect of the brains storage and analysis system.
  3. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 09:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Really? Are you SURE it's not the other way around~?>
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:33
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Really? Are you SURE it's not the other way around~?>
    Yes.
  5. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 15:51
    Yes.
    What makes you so sure?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:42
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    What makes you so sure?
    Ockham's razor, I guess.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 19:42
    Couldn't much the same be said of consciousness as well?
  8. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 20:42
    I tried to search the net for the answer to this but didn’t get very far. But I got this:

http://psychology.about.com/od/statesofconsciousness/p/dream-theories.htm

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/dreams.asp
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 21:321 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Couldn't much the same be said of consciousness as well?
    Maybe, but consciousness is useful in itself. One could say everything that exists is a side effect of the increase in entropy, but that's not very helpful. We are conscious because it helps us survive and thrive and ultimately reproduce. Specifically, maybe it allows us to study ourselves and do things like empathize and understand psychology.

I'm sure a better answer could be given for the dreaming as well, such as it allows the brain to sort, analyze, organize and dispose of information. I don't have any evidence of that...but it seems like a reasonable hypothesis.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 21:45
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Maybe, but consciousness is useful in itself.
    Surely not. What is the use of isolated consciousness?

Then there are people who claim to have remained conscious while dreaming. And I've read about people capable of eluding sleep and dreams via a 'higher' state of consciousness.

I want a genuine horn and ivory gate set.
  11. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 03:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

I'm sure a better answer could be given for the dreaming as well, such as it allows the brain to sort, analyze, organize and dispose of information. I don't have any evidence of that...but it seems like a reasonable hypothesis.
    It certainly sounds possible that sleep allows us to organize thoughts.

What is going on when we dream about totally wierd things? How does that organize your thoughts or is that something else?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 05:49
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Surely not. What is the use of isolated consciousness?

Then there are people who claim to have remained conscious while dreaming. And I've read about people capable of eluding sleep and dreams via a 'higher' state of consciousness.

I want a genuine horn and ivory gate set.
    I am not entirely sure what you mean by 'isolated consciousness'. I am sure that consciousness is entirely necessary for the proper functioning of higher animals and that it is what one might term a primary function rather than a side effect. But I guess it does depend on what way you want to look at it. Dreams to a large extent are one of the brains storage and data analysis systems, what one might call a side effect is our consciousness being aware of those dreams and remembering them after waking up as I do no think that serves any useful purpose and happens infrequently anyway.
  13. Joined
    26 Mar '09
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 13:23
    It is an often used exercise of the brain that takes your memory and recalls everything you've seen into what seems like a movie whether it sis your childhood or anything furhther. your brain also might take your so called imagination and guess your future.
  14. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 23:06
    Originally posted by rohmel
    It is an often used exercise of the brain that takes your memory and recalls everything you've seen into what seems like a movie whether it sis your childhood or anything furhther. your brain also might take your so called imagination and guess your future.
    So I had a dream last night that one of my teeth fell out and there was a new one just emerging to take it's place!

So I basically had a third set of teeth coming in!

Does that dream mean that my teeth are far more evolved than the average human teeth?😀
  15. Standard memberpatauro
    Patricia
    Moves
    23 Apr '09 11:26
    I dream and remember them every night and almost every night I awake in my dream, realize that I am dreaming (while still asleep and dreaming) then I consciously go and do things that I want/need to see and do. I don't know if that makes any sence, but it is very fun, real and enlightening for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree