1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 05:18
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    The Chinese have a master plan to turn the entire moon into a giant coin with a square hole in the middle. I'd like to at least wait and see how that turns out.

EDIT: Hey, today it's been exactly 1000 days since your last chess move. Get off your ass and do something!
    The same plan that USA once had and failed, the same plan that Soviet once had and failed, now China has now and perhaps will succeed.

Chess is a drug. I will never touch it again. I'm an ex chess abuser.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 11:49
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    It might not be wise to be hanging out in Chess bars like RHP, or engaging in other addictive behaviours like forum posting.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 14:08
    The same plan that USA once had and failed, the same plan that Soviet once had and failed, now China has now and perhaps will succeed.

Fab, have you stopped OTB chess as well? Do you have a club rating, FIDE or ELO?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 19:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Fab, have you stopped OTB chess as well? Do you have a club rating, FIDE or ELO?
    Yes, I don't touch the stuff anymore. Pawns, queens, bishops, they are all evil. No more rookings, promoting, fianchettos for me. I have my chess books stuffed in boxes and they are hidden where not even I can reach them. My chess board burnt, my membership card at our local club ripped into confetti, I never even say ** anymore, I rather say 63b. Oh, Caïssa, you have decieved me, but no more. I'm free, freeee...!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 22:31
    Yes, I don't touch the stuff anymore. Pawns, queens, bishops, they are all evil. No more rookings, promoting, fianchettos for me. I have my chess books stuffed in boxes and they are hidden where not even I can reach them. My chess board burnt, my membership card at our local club ripped into confetti, I never even say ** anymore, I rather say 63b. Oh, Caïssa, you have decieved me, but no more. I'm free, freeee...!
    Don't worry, we will DRAG you back kicking and screaming🙂
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 03:41
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    The woo is strong with this one...

How do you know every known world is lifeless?

There are dozens if not hundreds of worlds we know of where we have no
    idea if they host life or not.

For that matter we still have not confirmed that the Earth is the only life
    supporting body in our Solar System.

Mars may have had life, Europa may well hav ...[text shortened]... nnot
    penetrate green houses... but then... Yeah, send this one back to the
    drawing board. 🙄
    Say what? Are you suggesting there is no electromagnetic field, or that the field exerts no influence (and therefore has no affect on biological systems)?

Perhaps I should take on a persona of the anti-theistic trolling method of reasoning* and say that the electromagnetic field is a magical power imagined by the same mystic science sorcerers who think life magically arose from the raw earth elements... well, maybe not here, since there is no evidence to support abiogenesis, but it's irrelevant how life began or got here because it's here (obviously) so we know for a fact that it had to come from somewhere, and if not from here then from somewhere else in the universe... or multiverse.

* and risk being extradited back to the spirituality forum
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 05:471 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    We can become extinct and we can go into extinction, we may even be able to go extinctly, but we cannot go extinct it's a grammatical impossiblity.

Civilizations have fallen before without everyone perishing. Any self inflicted apocalypse will only be partial even in the face of nuclear war and relatively drastic climate change. A supervolcano erupt ...[text shortened]... h whacking great flaws in and the people who run the systems are tied to them and refuse change.
    ...we cannot go extinct[,] it's a grammatical impossib(i)lity.

Well now, that's a relief! Finally, someone has some good news to report.

Mans' universally inherent ineptness in the proper employment of grammar will surely insure his survival... I wish my old grade school sourpuss English teacher was here to see this.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 06:11
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Say what? Are you suggesting there is no electromagnetic field, or that the field exerts no influence (and therefore has no affect on biological systems)?
    I believe the earth's electromagnetic field protects the Earth's atmosphere to some extent but it is hardly a requirement for life.
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 06:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I believe the earth's electromagnetic field protects the Earth's atmosphere to some extent but it is hardly a requirement for life.
    My post was mostly tongue in cheek... I'm assuming the biosphere whodey mentioned was on earth, so lack of an electromagnetic field couldn't have been a contributing factor in its failure.

Knowing a few things about the electromagnetic field doesn't necessarily mean we know a lot about it. If it turns out the field is essential for our survival (other than to deflect radiation) then we aren't likely to find out unless we are away from it for an extended period of time. If a carefully constructed artificial biosphere (on earth) can fail for no apparent reason, this alone is evidence of how incomplete our knowledge is of the complexity of earths biosphere.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 06:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Agreed:

For a planet in the Goldilocks zone with a surface gravity as high as that of the Earth's, although a magnetic field would help, it having no magnetic field would not mean it would loose too much of its atmosphere to the solar wind nor result in a lethal dose of radiation to all life on its surface. For some reason, to much of a big deal is typically made of the protective effect the magnetic field has on the atmosphere.

I don't understand why there is this common myth being propagated that the Earth's magnetic field is literally essential to there being any life on Earth; it isn't. If the magnetic field were to magically disappear tomorrow, this would be very bad news for all the living organisms that have evolved to rely on it for navigation and I don't know how well they would be able to adapt. But, most other life including human life would continue to survive.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 09:48
    If a carefully constructed artificial biosphere (on earth) can fail for no apparent reason, this alone is evidence of how incomplete our knowledge is of the complexity of earths biosphere.
    No, it is just evidence that we haven't looked too carefully at the artificial biosphere and why it failed. It doesn't really tell us a whole lot about earth's biosphere or what we know about it.
    Of course, the reality is that no carefully constructed artificial biosphere (on earth) has ever failed for no apparent reason, so the question is moot anyway.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 15:07
    My post was mostly tongue in cheek...
    Your post was mostly gibberish...

If it was supposed to be a joke, it needed to be more comprehensible to be funny.
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 19:551 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Your post was mostly gibberish...

If it was supposed to be a joke, it needed to be more comprehensible to be funny.
    If you're suggesting I should have dumbed it down in order for it to be more comprehensible... more comprehensible for who? Why would anyone who has attended university need to have a joke dumbed down or explained to them?
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 20:13
    If you're suggesting I should have dumbed it down in order for it to be more comprehensible... more comprehensible for who? Why would anyone who has attended university need to have a joke dumbed down or explained to them?
    I didn't say dumbed down... I said more comprehensible.

Making it more intelligent might have helped.

It wasn't funny, it was just stupid.
  15. Joined
    27 Apr '15
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 15:09
    its looking like the end o well

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree