Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 18 Dec '13 07:34
    http://phys.org/news/2013-12-world-hottest-november-years.html
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 Dec '13 11:13
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2013-12-world-hottest-november-years.html
    Shortly followed by a cold blast in the US!
  3. 18 Dec '13 12:07
    "The last below-average November global temperature was November 1976 and the last below-average global temperature for any month was February 1985," the agency said.


    In other words, in my entire life, the only month which was below the centuries average temperature
    for that month... was my first. Out of the 347 months I have been alive, 1 was below average.


    And people are still denying global warming...
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 Dec '13 12:18 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    "The last below-average November global temperature was November 1976 and the [b]last below-average global temperature for any month was February 1985," the agency said.


    In other words, in my entire life, the only month which was below the centuries average temperature
    for that month... was my first. Out of the 347 months I have been alive, 1 was below average.


    And people are still denying global warming...[/b]
    Indeed. ANYTHING to put the blame on something else besides mankind. I think the industrial complex would rather civilization crumble 100 years from now rather than to interrupt profits in the next 10.

    "Who gives a crap? I'll have MY golden parachute and be long dead when that happens" Says the CEO of a multi-national.
  5. 20 Dec '13 16:06
    It's hot. It's been hot before. Ten it got cold. Then hot again. Weather seems to do that. I've no doubt that greenhouse gases are bad for the environment, but only on the minutest of scales. The huge "ole in the ozone layer"? No worries--the SUN makes ozone. I'm confident the sun can make a better band-aid than we can dream up. And I sure ain't willing to give up A/C and other comforts because of an unproven theory.
  6. 20 Dec '13 17:08
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    It's hot. It's been hot before. Ten it got cold. Then hot again. Weather seems to do that. I've no doubt that greenhouse gases are bad for the environment, but only on the minutest of scales. The huge "ole in the ozone layer"? No worries--the SUN makes ozone. I'm confident the sun can make a better band-aid than we can dream up. And I sure ain't willing to give up A/C and other comforts because of an unproven theory.
    Then you are an idiot.

    The world has an energy imbalance equivalent to appx 4 Hiroshima bombs detonating per second.

    That is the average heat GAIN over the last decade (and more).
    And that heat gain is accelerating.

    Global warming due to human emissions of greenhouse gasses has been proven beyond all reasonable
    doubt for my entire life.

    We've known CO2 is an insulator for well over a century.
    And increasing the amount of this insulator to 150% of its previous value (as we have already done)
    is GOING to, and HAS had, a significant impact.


    Only an idiot would think otherwise.
  7. 20 Dec '13 17:40
    Originally posted by humy
    http://phys.org/news/2013-12-world-hottest-november-years.html
    Why are you so interested in weather?

    I thought you believed that weather and global warming are two totally different things.

    Oh, I understand, it is because it is weather that backs up what you want to believe. Got it.
  8. 20 Dec '13 18:48
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Why are you so interested in weather?

    I thought you believed that weather and global warming are two totally different things.

    Oh, I understand, it is because it is weather that backs up what you want to believe. Got it.
    What are you talking about?
    "weather" doesn't equate with "global warming" -right?
    But, to monitor any global warming, we need to monitor the weather -right? how else?
  9. 20 Dec '13 19:20
    Originally posted by humy
    What are you talking about?
    "weather" doesn't equate with "global warming" -right?
    But, to monitor any global warming, we need to monitor the weather -right? how else?
    I'll try to remind you of this the next time temps drop for a month.
  10. 20 Dec '13 19:55 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I'll try to remind you of this the next time temps drop for a month.
    if the temperature dropping for just one month that cannot stop the general long term trend for relentless temperature increase.

    Say it is spring time. The temperature goes down for a week. So the hot summer weather will not come?
    You cannot rationally cite any one single instance of a weather event as evidence for a long term trend but rather you have to look at ALL of them and look for the general trend and, when you do that, the evidence points to global warming.
  11. 20 Dec '13 20:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Shortly followed by a cold blast in the US!
    WORLD - can you say it with us -W-O-R-L-D-

    There's almost 200 countries in the WORLD, the US is but one of them.
  12. 20 Dec '13 22:39
    Originally posted by humy
    if the temperature dropping for just one month that cannot stop the general long term trend for relentless temperature increase.

    Say it is spring time. The temperature goes down for a week. So the hot summer weather will not come?
    You cannot rationally cite any one single instance of a weather event as evidence for a long term trend but rather you have to ...[text shortened]... hem and look for the general trend and, when you do that, the evidence points to global warming.
    Yep, the temps have certainly been shooting sky high over the past 15 years.
  13. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Dec '13 14:33
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Yep, the temps have certainly been shooting sky high over the past 15 years.
    And you see that as a cycle that will run its course in a few decades?
  14. 23 Dec '13 16:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And you see that as a cycle that will run its course in a few decades?
    You do realize that there has been no global warming in the last 15 years don't you?

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2425775/Climate-scientists-told-cover-fact-Earths-temperature-risen-15-years.html
  15. 23 Dec '13 17:09 / 9 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You do realize that there has been no global warming in the last 15 years don't you?

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2425775/Climate-scientists-told-cover-fact-Earths-temperature-risen-15-years.html
    Putting it simply, this is all misinformation from desperate global warming deniers.

    http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/10/15/the-met-office-responds-to-global-warming-stopped-16-years-ago/
    “...
    An article by David Rose appears today in the Mail on Sunday under the title: ‘Global warming stopped 16 years ago, reveals Met Office report quietly released… and here is the chart to prove it’
    It is the second article Mr Rose has written which contains some misleading information, after he wrote an article earlier this year on the same theme – you see our response to that one here.
    To address some of the points in the article published today:
    Firstly, the Met Office has not issued a report on this issue. We can only assume the article is referring to the completion of work to update the HadCRUT4 global temperature dataset compiled by ourselves and the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit.
    We announced that this work was going on in March and it was finished this week. You can see the HadCRUT4 website here.
    Secondly, Mr Rose says the Met Office made no comment about its decadal climate predictions. This is because he did not ask us to make a comment about them.
    You can see our full response to all of the questions Mr Rose did ask us below:
    ...”

    If only you can get past the misinformation and ignore all the vast number of propaganda sites saying the same crap and, instead, look at the REAL science (in particular, basic physics says CO2 SHOULD cause warming. Do you deny this? YES OR NO? ) and the REAL unbiased raw data that hasn't been manipulated by the deniers, you would see a clear long term trend in global warming. Of course, you never will, because you not interested in learning something new and just want to believe whatever you want to believe while I don't.

    To elaborate on that last point:

    I do not want man made global warming to be true; I WANT it to be FALSE! -because that would mean we can go on polluting and not be responsible for harming humanity. But what has the scientific facts got to do with what I or you want? Or, putting it another way:

    Truth is indifferent from what we want it to be so don't let your wants tell you the truth else you will get lies.