"1 games waiting"

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
04 Jul 12

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
Naturally, the easiest 'fix' would be to qualify 'gameS' with matched pair parenthesis, 'game(s)' being the result. Personally I don;t think there are any benefits to changing what is already evident here; it's just my opinion based upon the fact that folk already understand the difference, and I'd wager very few would even notice any 'correction' ??
Edit: I note you mention a fix...although I can't see it, it does surprise me !
"1 games waiting" was grammatically incorrect; it was a glitch of some kind. I'm not sure what the relevance is of the fact that people understood what it meant anyway. It was still an error. The "benefit" of fixing an error is the subsequent non-existence of the error in question. But anyway, it's moot now, as it has been corrected. My browser now says "1 game waiting". So, I will go off and make that move...

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
05 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
"1 games waiting" was grammatically incorrect; it was a glitch of some kind. I'm not sure what the relevance is of the fact that people understood what it meant anyway. It was still an error. The "benefit" of fixing an error is the subsequent non-existence of the error in question. But anyway, it's moot now, as it has been corrected. My browser now says "1 game waiting". So, I will go off and make that move...
Of course, I'm not going to argue simple grammar, I merely stated that the 'error' had several solutions but were they really needed, on a chess site, as everybody understood that anything over the solitary game would result in the plural. I'm still not convinced as I think the self confessed 'code monkey' does very well steering us all well clear of those awful Americanisms that clearly proliferate across the net..that's surely the only true grammatical aspect we need concern ourselves with here ?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
06 Jul 12

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
Of course, I'm not going to argue simple grammar, I merely stated that the 'error' had several solutions but were they really needed, on a chess site, as everybody understood that anything over the solitary game would result in the plural. I'm still not convinced as I think the self confessed 'code monkey' does very well steering us all well clear of tho ...[text shortened]... net..that's surely the only true grammatical aspect we need concern ourselves with here ?
u r teh suxxxxx0r 😠

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
06 Jul 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
u r teh suxxxxx0r 😠
ya, I get you, please forgive the 'artistic licence'..it was primarily a joke 😉