1. Joined
    27 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 01:44
    Although I find RHP vastly superior to Gameknot (of which I use at work since it seems to not get blocked by the filters there), I do enjoy the "game and message monitor" function that Gameknot has. Basically it allerts you to when a move has been made in one of your games so you don't need to constantly hit "my games".

Just a thought.
  2. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 01:51
    Originally posted by Edukator
    Although I find RHP vastly superior to Gameknot (of which I use at work since it seems to not get blocked by the filters there), I do enjoy the "game and message monitor" function that Gameknot has. Basically it allerts you to when a move has been made in one of your games so you don't need to constantly hit "my games".

Just a thought.
    I must have a greasemonkey script because the bottom of my computer tells me how many games I have waiting. You can also have the information e-mailed to you.
  3. Joined
    27 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 02:07
    Gameknot has a link that will monitor your games while you can surf the web, watch TV, etc. When a move has been made in one of your games it will "ding" and a small screen will pop up on the screen asking if you want to go to the game. It is handy and perhaps I could somehow program my email to do something similar but all of my incoming emails would alert me. Perhaps I should learn more about what you have at the bottom of your computer that tells you these things.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 03:021 edit
    Gameknot has a link that will monitor your games while you can surf the web, watch TV, etc. When a move has been made in one of your games it will "ding" and a small screen will pop up on the screen asking if you want to go to the game. It is handy and perhaps I could somehow program my email to do something similar but all of my incoming emails would ale ...[text shortened]... uld learn more about what you have at the bottom of your computer that tells you these things.
    First you need FireFox browser if you don't have it yet.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Next GreaseMonkey...

http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

Go here and read each one. Don't get Blind Chess (hides) or any others that might screw you up! Let me know if you have questions. One of these shows how many games I have waiting at the bottom.

I think there might be one that dings, I didn't bother to get it. If I'm wrong, someone will point you to the alerter.

http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/

There are a lot more posted in firefox and greasemonkey threads you will find in General and Developer forums. There are a lot of great scripts and add-ons I don't have yet, but I'm still searching around and adding them when I find them.

You can get along without any of them, but once you have them you realize how much you needed them.

P-
  5. The sky
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 03:18
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    First you need FireFox browser if you don't have it yet.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Next GreaseMonkey...

http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

Go here and read each one. Don't get Blind Chess (hides) or any others that might screw you up! Let me know if you have questions. One of these shows how many games I have waiting at the bottom.
    I think that's not one of the Greasemonkey scripts, but the RHP extension. Or else I've just never noticed it before I installed the extension.
  6. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 05:19
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I think that's not one of the Greasemonkey scripts, but the RHP extension. Or else I've just never noticed it before I installed the extension.
    Various solutions:

Thread 39599, Thread 41815, Thread 61652, Thread 62077.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 12:001 edit
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    Various solutions:

Thread 39599, Thread 41815, Thread 61652, Thread 62077.
    I think my suggestion here... Thread 38399 is still my favourite, unless ouroboros gives the option of having a sound file play when a move has been made in his supersweet extension.

D
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 14:26
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I think my suggestion here... Thread 38399 is still my favourite, unless ouroboros gives the option of having a sound file play when a move has been made in his supersweet extension.

D
    How about one of them shock things where a scary face pops up, and you hear an ear-piercing scream? That will get your heart pumping for the next move.

P-
  9. Joined
    27 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 15:12

There are a lot more posted in firefox and greasemonkey threads you will find in General and Developer forums. There are a lot of great scripts and add-ons I don't have yet, but I'm still searching around and adding them when I find them.

You can get along without any of them, but once you have them you realize how much you needed them.

P-
    Wow...thanks for directing me to the correct place. They both (I ended up with two for now) work great! I think RHP needs to advertise this function better as now I feel like I could subscribe to the service (The only thing that really keeps me unsubscribed now is that the women on the advertisements are drop dead gorgeous!) and really benefit from it.

Once again, thanks a lot...this clearly enhances the chess experience on RHP!

Edukator
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 15:41
    Wow...thanks for directing me to the correct place. They both (I ended up with two for now) work great! I think RHP needs to advertise this function better as now I feel like I could subscribe to the service (The only thing that really keeps me unsubscribed now is that the women on the advertisements are drop dead gorgeous!) and really benefit from it.

Edukator
    First off, all the 'cool users' use www.timeforchess.com

When you are a member you can use that site for moving and posting in the forums.

When you need your pretty babe fix just visit another site you are not logged in for and read the forums and get your hot babe fix at http://www.redhotchess.com or one of the other alternative names of this site.

Best of both worlds!

P-
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 15:56

Edukator
    You can ask Russ to get subscription privileges, but leave the advertising if you wish. Some wingless members have that membership.

D
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 15:57
    First off, all the 'cool users' use www.timeforchess.com
    They are also referred to as 'Real men'.

D
  13. The sky
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 01:19
    They are also referred to as 'Real men'.

D
    I thought that were Chesspad-users?
  14. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 20:111 edit

D
    Small update released to my extension that will let you play a wav file or just have Firefox beep when there are new games waiting.

Don't expect it to beep every time it checks, it only beeps when there are more games than you currently have waiting show up. For instance, if you and your opponent make moves in a game before the extension checks for waiting games, you won't hear a beep because your games waiting count did not change.

I could change it so that it beeps whenever the games waiting count is greater than 0. I might even make that a configurable preference...
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 23:32
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    Small update released to my extension that will let you play a wav file or just have Firefox beep when there are new games waiting.

Don't expect it to beep every time it checks, it only beeps when there are more games than you currently have waiting show up. For instance, if you and your opponent make moves in a game before the extension checks for wai ...[text shortened]... he games waiting count is greater than 0. I might even make that a configurable preference...
    w00t!

Personally, I'd recommend just beeping when a new move is found, but if it's easily configured, then hey? Also, the counter doesn't count games which haven't yet started, ie: they're awaiting your first move. I don't know is that due to a bug, or programming restrictions. Its not that important.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree