A pyramid formed league

A pyramid formed league

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
18 Jan 08

And since new player would have to enter the leagues at the lowest level, the lower and middle levels would be quite hard places indeed.

Once you've climbed to your right level, then you fight the players in the same group. But your level is only determined by your skill, not your rating. So there is no point sand bagging here.
No sand bagging, but Newcomers would automatically begin on ...[text shortened]... RHP staff, and the tournament mods, like this idea of pyramid tournaments, please, contact me![/b]
I included a new level and deleted what I think is answered. Thank you for the discussion.

F

Moves
18 Jan 08

Originally posted by KellyJay
Why 12 why not 4 or something like that?
Kelly
Well, the size of the groups is a detail, so is thinking times, and some other stuff. If the pyramid idea is good enough to implement then it's time to discuss details.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
18 Jan 08

Evidently my earlier post has been gone amiss

My main points have been:

* Thank you Fabian for putting thougts into that na dmaking a good suggestion.

* How would the holes in the higher levels be mended when people drop out?

* That people begin in the lowest level seems to be a good idea, but if the leagues become poular the strong player will have to go through the ranks. Here games could become very hard indeed even in lower levels. Ponder that situation: two 2000+ players want to take part and are in the same (low level) league. They battle it out with everybody else losing two games from start. If only one gets promoted the other stays for another season beating up the lesser players once again. Imagine a not recogniced (p1200) player is included who in reality is a 2000+...

F

Moves
18 Jan 08

Originally posted by Ponderable
Evidently my earlier post has been gone amiss

My main points have been:

* Thank you Fabian for putting thougts into that na dmaking a good suggestion.

* That people begin in the lowest level seems to be a good idea, but if the leagues become poular the strong player wi ...[text shortened]... ers once again. Imagine a not recogniced (p1200) player is included who in reality is a 2000+...
* Thank you Fabian for putting thougts into that and making a good suggestion.

De nada. It's a pleasure to have serious listeners to this idea.

Just for setting up definitions: Every group has another group upwards (except for the upmost), and two groups downwards (exept for the downmost), one down leftie and one down rightie.

If noone ever drops out, ther will be no problem. The problem arises when someone drops out of some reason. I think that this hole has to be filled from any group under it, alternately the leftie and righty group below. Then this hole will propagate downwards until the hole will enter one of the lowest groups.

* ... Ponder that situation: two 2000+ players want to take part and are in the same (low level) league. They battle it out with everybody else losing two games from start. If only one gets promoted the other stays for another season beating up the lesser players once again. Imagine a not recogniced (p1200) player is included who in reality is a 2000+...

Ratings are not interesting here, besides the win rating poits and lose them as in any rated game. A skillful player with a low rating will perculate upwards, and a rookie with high rating points will drop downwards.

The scenario you describe is, I hope, hypothetical, because there is so many lowest groups. Imagine that we have 4 levels in the pyramid, then we have 26 groups of wich 8 gropus are in the bottom level. Imagine further we have 12 player in each group, then we have 12*15=180 players. Every new level means that we have approx. double amount of players. I think there are plenty of room for new strong players to enter without very much competition. If we have 10 men groups or 8 or even 4 men in each group, then the calculation is different, but still, plenty of room.

One question not yet posed is how the first round will be planned. Are we going to have random placements, or seeded placements? This is a detail to discuss when we have decided to start such a pyramid.

to

Moves
19 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
One question not yet posed is how the first round will be planned. Are we going to have random placements, or seeded placements? This is a detail to discuss when we have decided to start such a pyramid.
Only just seen this Fabian, looks a really good idea. 😀

I think seeding would work. Say there are four levels to our new league. Having, say, 2000+ players in the 1st level, 1600-2000 in the two groups below, 1200-1600 in the 4 groups below that and the rest of us in the 8 groups at the bottom. It would get around the problem of having high rating players not rising to the top.

Yes, for a season or two it might be slightly biased, but the cream would always rise to the top.

New players would join at the bottom I assume? And provisionals couldn't enter...?

"A 8-man group is fine, giving 14 games for each player. "
Is 14 games too much for people at one time? I don't know.

"Thinking times is up to debate."
Perhaps starting with 3/7 (the most popular one) and then branching out as people get used to it?

Edit: as to getting something going, I'd send feedback to Russ/Chris, and see what's possible.

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
20 Jan 08

I'm very spare with my recs Fabian but you just got one. This is such a fantastically good idea. I'm really not qualified to make any suggestions as to how exactly the system might be worked out, but just consider what an enhancement it would be to the site. A whole nother sphere of operations. Another button to press. And think of the stats. As clan challenges are to tourneys so this would be to clan leagues.

F

Moves
25 Jun 09
1 edit

I bump this one again, as I do on a regular basis.

With this kind of competition sand baggers would not be of any problems. Your true strength is what matters. Climbing in the pyramid shows your strength, disregarding your rating level.

When I presented this idea once I used the word 'league'. I wasn't so god in English at that time, now I know that leage means another thing. This pyramid is of an individual base.

What do you think, is it still an interesting idea?