1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 19:36
    I would like to have a tournament like a pyramid formed league:

There is 1st division group with 12 players. The winner will be the Red Hot Pawn Gold champion, also a Silver Champ and a Bronze Champ will be rewarded. The two lowest players (in points gained) will go down to division 2a and 2b respectively.

There is two 2nd division groups with 12 players each. Each winner will qualify to the 1 division and the two lowest players go down to division 3 to a appropriate group.

There is four 3rd division groups with 12 players each. Each winner qualify to the 2nd division and the lowest players go down to an appropriate group in 4th division.

So this is kind of a pyramid shaped system. For every level there is twice as many groups as the level above. You qualify upwards and you fall down to the division under if you lose.

How many divisions that are necessary is a matter of interest by us who want to play in this kind of league. But you always start your way from the bottom and up. In the top division resides the top players, playing to each other, striving for the ultimate top.

Call this system a league, call it a pyramid, call it a ladder, call it anything appropriate.
    Call each level a division, a class, call it anything appropriate.

I don't have all the details of this system but I am sure that the details will be worked upon and the rules will certainly be refined to everyone’s wishes after a time.
    If this is an interesting idea and it will be planned to be implemented by RHP - I'm for one is interested to join this system of play from the very beginning.

What do you think?
  2. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 00:52
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

There is 1st division group with 12 players. The winner will be the Red Hot Pawn Gold champion, also a Silver Champ and a Bronze Champ will be rewarded. The two lowest players (in points gained) will go down to division 2a and 2b respectively.

There is two 2nd division groups with 12 pl ...[text shortened]... r one is interested to join this system of play from the very beginning.

What do you think?
    Do you mean a system of leagues for individual players, not clans?

Various TO/TB;

1/3, 1/7, 1/14;
    3/3, 3/7, 4/14;
    7/7, 7/14;
    14/14;

Yes, I might enter the 7/7 league.
  3. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 08:36
    Originally posted by c99ux
    Do you mean a system of leagues for individual players, not clans?

Various TO/TB;

1/3, 1/7, 1/14;
    3/3, 3/7, 4/14;
    7/7, 7/14;
    14/14;

Yes, I might enter the 7/7 league.
    If that is what you mean I would love to join up as well in one of the faster leagues or if those are not available i would settle for a slower one as well 😉
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 10:33
    Perhaps the word 'league' means something that I didn't know. Perhaps pyramid is a better word for this system.

I mean we play on individual basis, trying to get to the next higher division, and avoid falling down to the next under division.

I demonstrated the over all rules. Let's have a discussion about when to start every turn, thinking times, how many divisions, and other things involved.

I volunteer to be a moderator (right word?) for this kind of competition too if one is needed.
  5. Swansea
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 11:57
    Like football leagues yes?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 15:19
    Originally posted by ExpressiveOutburst
    Like football leagues yes?
    I know european football (real football), so yes, I mean like football, but on individual basis.
    American football, I know nothing about.
  7. Subscriberstratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    Out of Lockdown
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 11:35
    I think you have put forward an interesting concept, and would be keen to be involved. I do have a couple of questions however, regarding I fine tuning of the system.

Why 12 players in each division, as that would mean 22 games per season, which may be too high for some players. Could it work as well with 8, 9 or 10 players?

How will the initial divisions/levels be set up, would it be finalised on the basis of ratings at the time of entry or commencement?
  8. Swansea
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:21
    I know european football (real football), so yes, I mean like football, but on individual basis.
    American football, I know nothing about.
    Glad to hear it. 😉
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:36
    Originally posted by stratosph3R3
    I think you have put forward an interesting concept, and would be keen to be involved. I do have a couple of questions however, regarding I fine tuning of the system.

Why 12 players in each division, as that would mean 22 games per season, which may be too high for some players. Could it work as well with 8, 9 or 10 players?

How will the initial d ...[text shortened]... s be set up, would it be finalised on the basis of ratings at the time of entry or commencement?
    Thank you for the interest.

Well I haven't tuned in the finer details yet, suggestions are wellcomed.

(*) A 8-man group is fine, giving 14 games for each player.
    (*) Thinking times is up to debate.
    (*) For each level (excluding the highest and lowest) one player goes up to the nextvel and two go down one level. But what will happen if two players ends up with the same points? Do we allow two to go up, thus creating a 8 man group? Perhaps it will even out because there is more than two with the same points going down too? Any suggestions?
    (*) How will we start? I suggest we set a date when to start and that date we will form the groups and decide who will be playing in wich one based of ratings, how many levels and such.

Now, I have to emphasize that this is only a proposal for a new playing form aside from regular tuurnaments and sieges. I can't decide this myself without having a go ahead signal from someone from the RHP staff. I will, however, volunteer to be the pyramid manager if this is alright with anyone.
  10. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 15:12
    Originally posted by stratosph3R3

If a season is a year, that's not really a lot. But the standings and table positions are determined by the results of finished games, so it does depend on how fast games are finished.

Maybe the only way to guarantee games finish within one "season" is to make them 0/X games (no timeout, only timebank) with timebank depleting from setup and no grace.

For example, a yearly season would be 0/182, starting all 22 games together at the start of the year. Then all games would be guaranteed to be finished by the end of the season, all the results pooled and added up, relegations and promotions made and then the next season could start.

There could also be other variations, i.e. "The Weekly League", which would be 0/3 games for megafastmovers; "The Monthly League", 0/14 games for fast players; "The Quarters", 0/45 for slower paced players, etc.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 14:43
    This is thread a started a year ago.
    The idea is still interesting.
    So I bump this thread again.
  12. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 09:59
    Well, it sounds like a big undertaking.
    And since new player would have to enter the leagues at the lowest level, the lower and middle levels would be quite hard places indeed.

Then we would have the problem in terms of continuitiy of people dropping off the site (banned, no money to pay subscription, loosing interest...)

And we would have a vacation discussion also (try to think of the 0/3 champion missing the week in which the next season starts...)
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 10:39
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    And since new player would have to enter the leagues at the lowest level, the lower and middle levels would be quite hard places indeed.

Then we would have the problem in terms of continuitiy of people dropping off the site (banned, no money to pay subscription, loosing interest...)

And we would have a vacati ...[text shortened]... sion also (try to think of the 0/3 champion missing the week in which the next season starts...)

Yes, it would. Much to do if done manually, much to program to make it work automatically.

Once you've climbed to your right level, then you fight the players in the same group. But your level is only determined by your skill, not your rating. So there is no point sand bagging here.

Then we would have the problem in terms of continuitiy of people dropping off the site

Right you are. But the same problem arises n any tournament. People are leaving of various reasons. If you leave your place you have to start from the lowest level again, and this leaves the rest of the participants a chance to rise up a level. There will be an equilibrium eventually.

And we would have a vacation discussion also (try to think of the 0/3 champion missing the week in which the next season starts...)

Don't tell me about it. This is a problem everywhere. But it is solved everywhere too. But some people do play during their vacation.

I have offered myself to be a pyramid master, a Pharao if you want, and can take a great deal of work to make this kind of tournament system to work. But I preferan automatic system to get it going, of course.

If the RHP staff, and the tournament mods, like this idea of pyramid tournaments, please, contact me!
  14. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 12:09
    Fabian, suggest you PM Alnwick Gadgy User 106482 as he has been running a leagues competition for a little while, and has worked out quite a lot of the details on relegation and the like.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 14:51

There is two 2nd division groups with 12 pl ...[text shortened]... r one is interested to join this system of play from the very beginning.

What do you think?
    Why 12 why not 4 or something like that?
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree