1. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 16:45
    Sometimes after I make a move I'll analyze a game some more, then seize on an
    even better move. It would be nice if I could retract my old move.
    Of course, that would be unfair to my opponent if he has already
    started to invest time in considering my original move. But if my opponent has email
    notification turned off and (since I made my move) has not visited our game's
    playchess.php page, then he cannot have learned of my move yet, and consequently
    my retraction cannot waste any of his time.

In summary, what is propose is that on the playchess.php page, under "It is now your opponent's move" there should be a new link, "Try to retract your move", that
    when clicked checks whether the opponent could have seen the move yet and if not, lets the user make a different move.
  2. The sky
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 16:50
    Originally posted by Richard Uhtenwoldt
    Sometimes after I make a move I'll analyze a game some more, then seize on an
    even better move. It would be nice if I could retract my old move.
    Of course, that would be unfair to my opponent if he has already
    started to invest time in considering my original move. But if my opponent has email
    notification turned off and (since I made my mov ...[text shortened]... he opponent could have seen the move yet and if not, lets the user make a different move.
    Simple solution: Don't move before you are sure what move you want to make. Unlike OTB, you are allowed to move around the pieces before you decide on a move, so you already have an advantage.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 21:07
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Simple solution: Don't move before you are sure what move you want to make. Unlike OTB, you are allowed to move around the pieces before you decide on a move, so you already have an advantage.
    No, done is done.

Why complicate things by retract moves you don't like? What about thinking times? Is the time going during the period you have not decided?

If you move a piece, then it should be there.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 21:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No, done is done.

Why complicate things by retract moves you don't like? What about thinking times? Is the time going during the period you have not decided?

If you move a piece, then it should be there.
    That's what I was saying. 😕
  5. Sydney
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 01:271 edit
    Actually a retract move would be enormously useful while teaching someone. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to implement either.
  6. Joined
    26 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 01:43
    Originally posted by idioms
    Actually a retract move would be enormously useful while teaching someone. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to implement either.
    I agree it may be useful when teaching someone. Perhaps a solution would be to allow take-backs in unrated games.

A couple of the people I play on here I also know in 'real life' - when we play the game is more important than the result. It would be nice to allow a take-back if the game was 'spoiled' by a one-move blunder.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 05:48
    i agree a move is a move--i hate when i play online at other venues and someone wants to take a move back. that said, i can see some merit to the argument. how about a compromise? allow the game creator to choose whether the "take back a move" option will be allowed. then those who want it have it and those who don't can move with unflinching confidence. 🙂
  8. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 06:55
    What everyone has missed here is that, in your proposed scenario, you have been able to find a better move on your opponents clock and wish to improve your situation, regardless of whether your opponent has seen the move or not.

Absolute rubbish. Jesus wept.

skeeter
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 07:25
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    That's what I was saying. 😕
    Yes, we agree completely.
  10. Joined
    27 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 12:28
    Originally posted by skeeter
    What everyone has missed here is that, in your proposed scenario, you have been able to find a better move on your opponents clock and wish to improve your situation, regardless of whether your opponent has seen the move or not.

Absolute rubbish. Jesus wept.

skeeter
    I don't think is any difficult to program that the time spent is recalculated when you retract a move.

I usually play friends of mine, people I know in "real life" and for one reason or another I can not play with a real board. In these cases I find really anoying when someone completely spoil the game with a stupid move, no matter wether is my opponent or myself who does the stupid move.

I think a retract move option can be nice, but rather than checking wether the opponent had the chance to see the move, I would suggest to give the opponent to option chose and only allow the retraction by mutual agreement of both players.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 12:51
    Originally posted by frev
    I don't think is any difficult to program that the time spent is recalculated when you retract a move.

I usually play friends of mine, people I know in "real life" and for one reason or another I can not play with a real board. In these cases I find really anoying when someone completely spoil the game with a stupid move, no matter wether is my opponent or m ...[text shortened]... e opponent to option chose and only allow the retraction by mutual agreement of both players.
    An undo button is amateur, we need to live with the decisions we make here at RHP. Sure, you and a friend can take a move back; but I feel it would be better if you would think a little more about your move before making it. The same goes for them. How will they learn otherwise? In real life you don’t get a ‘do over’ button when you cross the street. If you get hit by a bus, it’s ‘game over’.

It’s bad enough you might be playing someone who keeps hitting the ‘draw button’ now there would be a ‘do over’ button? Next we have threads where someone wanted a do over after a bad move, tells about the bad move… and complains that such-and-such a player was too scared to let them have the bad move back when clearly they just moved a piece to a wrong square… etc.

NO THANX.

P-
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 13:15

I usually play friends of mine, people I know in "real life" and for one reason or another I can not play with a real board. In these cases I find really anoying when someone completely spoil the game with a stupid move, no matter wether is my opponent or m ...[text shortened]... e opponent to option chose and only allow the retraction by mutual agreement of both players.
    You can start a set-piece game from the position before the blunder, if you must.

D
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 19:58
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    You can start a set-piece game from the position before the blunder, if you must.

D
    exactly!

why reinvent the wheel? -- a solution already exists.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 17:53

But how else will you learn not to make stupid moves if you don't have to suffer the consequences?

Chess is a game of mistakes. Taking back moves solves nothing.
  15. Joined
    26 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 04:43
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    But how else will you learn not to make stupid moves if you don't have to suffer the consequences?

Chess is a game of mistakes. Taking back moves solves nothing.
    It's not necessary for people to have to 'suffer' for their mistakes in a friendly game. I'm all for adherence to tournament standards in the vast majority of my games, but when it's just a game between two mismatched friends what harm is there in allowing a take-back?

A set-piece game is a solution, but not a particularly good one, it would be pretty inconvenient to set-up a new game each and every time you both wished you, or your friend, hadn't played quite such an awful move.

In saying all this of course this shouldn't be possible in all games, and should be an option selected at the start of games. I really can't see how this site idea diminishes anyones RHP experience.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree