Am I mad or is the server time wrong

Am I mad or is the server time wrong

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
13 Jun 07

I KNOW the UK is only one hour behind Oslo so why is the server time as displayed in the timezone page two hours behind?

Am I being even more stupid that usual?

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirate™

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
13 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Wheely
I KNOW the UK is only one hour behind Oslo so why is the server time as displayed in the timezone page two hours behind?

But are the servers in the UK...?

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by Daemon Sin
But are the servers in the UK...?
Good point. I assumed they were but if they are not then where are they if they are one hour left of Greenwhich. Maybe the time is GMT but it might then be worth mentioning that the server sticks to GMT on that timezone page.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirate™

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
13 Jun 07

Good point. I assumed they were but if they are not then where are they if they are one hour left of Greenwhich. Maybe the time is GMT but it might then be worth mentioning that the server sticks to GMT on that timezone page.
Don't pay attention to me, I'm just being facetious.

Fasthosts and UKReg do all their hosting and they're both based in the UK, so who know why the server time is off!

SS

Moves
13 Jun 07

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
13 Jun 07

The post that was quoted here has been removed
True but the page currently says "The current date and time on the 'Chess At Work' server is Jun 13 2007 09:21" which IS GMT time.

F

Moves
13 Jun 07

Have you tried to set your timezone in the "My Settings" -> "My Timezone" ?

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Have you tried to set your timezone in the "My Settings" -> "My Timezone" ?
Yes, I have set my timezone GMT +2 which gives me the right time. My point, however, is that the server itself, which should be on BST, is currently reporting the time as GMT.

Not a big issue but I just wondered.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
13 Jun 07

Yes, I have set my timezone GMT +2 which gives me the right time. My point, however, is that the server itself, which should be on BST, is currently reporting the time as GMT.

Not a big issue but I just wondered.
All our servers use GMT. They live in the US and they have no need for day light saving... 🙂

-Russ

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by Russ
All our servers use GMT. They live in the US and they have no need for day light saving... 🙂

-Russ
Thanks Russ.

Interesting to hear that.