1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 May '16 10:065 edits
    All feedback from Android Client V4 beta users should be posted to this thread.

To beta test, on your Android Phone : Click here to join beta

Note : Unless you sign into RHP with Google already, doing so on the app will create a new account. Don't do this. 🙂
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 May '16 16:22

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 May '16 13:055 edits
    Some release notes

Release 4.0.0 (beta)

- Game / alert counts from navigation drawer.
    - Browse and select open invites.
    - Timeout Games from app
    - Delete games from app
    - Google sign up in app / Email sign up initiated from app.
    - Notifications listed in app
    - Regular authentication issues fixed. (Multi logon enabled setting no longer a requirement)
    - Player directory in app with search.
    - Less "cramped" presentation to reflect general trend for larger phones.
    - Swipe down to refresh my games.
    - Site outage notifications to app users.
    - Timeout suspension notification to app user.

One bit of advance info : The previous version required Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread), the new build will require at least Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean).
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 May '16 14:332 edits
    Version 4.0.1 (version code 18)

On your Android Phone : Click here to join beta

Get the testing version

If you already have the RedHotPawn Chess Client app installed on your device, you'll get an update with the testing version shortly. If you don't have the RedHotPawn Chess Client app installed, download it on Google Play first, then you'll get an update with the testing version. It can take a few hours for the update to arrive.

Leave the testing program

You can leave the testing program at any time. If you leave the testing program and a public version of the app is available, you can switch to public version by uninstalling the testing version and installing the app again on Google Play.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 May '16 14:37
    Check for updates in the play store. You may need to uninstall the current version to force the update.

You then reinstall the latest version suggested by the Play Store, then check for updates, and the new version will become available.

Feedback here please. Thanks.
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    11 May '16 15:221 edit
    Straight off the bat, i'm looking at a game against Fightnsheep. Says 2 days 2 hours since last move, and over 24 hours remaining. it's a 3/7 game, and it has 21 hours 16 minutes left of the timeout (from my PC page) . Is this a misreading by me of the information, or a mistake?
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 May '16 15:29
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Straight off the bat, i'm looking at a game against Fightnsheep. Says 2 days 2 hours since last move, and over 24 hours remaining. it's a 3/7 game, and it has 21 hours 16 minutes left of the timeout (from my PC page) . Is this a misreading by me of the information, or a mistake?
    Glad to hear you got the beta installed OK! That is encouraging.

Game id : 11682219

Last move : May 09 2016 12:37 (2 days ago)

With timebank,, over 24 hours remaining.
  8. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    11 May '16 15:36
    Originally posted by Russ
    Glad to hear you got the beta installed OK! That is encouraging.

Game id : 11682219

Last move : May 09 2016 12:37 (2 days ago)

With timebank,, over 24 hours remaining.
    Ahhh, so it's including the timebank. That would be strange to deal with if you're used to the web version. Usually you count the timeout, then the timebank is a different thing. As i usually leave my games till the end of the timeout, it could make me skull bait to use this.

If there is no differentiation from timeout to time bank depletion, it could be problematic. I might be wrong.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 May '16 15:391 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Ahhh, so it's including the timebank. That would be strange to deal with if you're used to the web version. Usually you count the timeout, then the timebank is a different thing. As i usually leave my games till the end of the timeout, it could make me skull bait to use this.

If there is no differentiation from timeout to time bank depletion, it could be problematic. I might be wrong.
    It is the way it has always been on the app. But I understand the confusion.

Now there is an option for people to join RHP by only using the app, the simpler this stuff is, the better for the uninitiated.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 May '16 19:571 edit
    One bit of advance info : The previous version required Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread), the new build will require at least Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean).
    How do I find out what Android version I have now?

I have a phone that is well over a year old, it's a Galaxy Light. Been getting some system updates recently, but it's not obvious what operating system it uses. I understand Jelly Bean has been superseded by Marshmallow, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 May '16 20:011 edit
    It is the way it has always been on the app. But I understand the confusion.

Now there is an option for people to join RHP by only using the app, the simpler this stuff is, the better for the uninitiated.
    Yes, it's always been that way on the app, but I've asked before that this be looked at for possible change. I'm with Huck. I like to avoid going into Timebank if I can, but the app doesn't even let me know when I'm in danger of going into Timebank. Constantly saying "over 24 hours" for time left because it includes Timebank doesn't help much.

Because of this, I just navigate to the site and play there rather than play on the app.

Maybe a radio button in Settings -- Incude Timebank/Don't Include Timebank in 'Time Left'?
  12. Hell
    Moves
    12 May '16 10:392 edits
  13. Hell
    Moves
    12 May '16 10:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How do I find out what Android version I have now?

I have a phone that is well over a year old, it's a Galaxy Light. Been getting some system updates recently, but it's not obvious what operating system it uses. I understand Jelly Bean has been superseded by Marshmallow, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that.
    To find your phone android version number. Usually if you go into your settings menu the bottom option is about device, or similar; in that menu should be an option to see the software info; Version number is there.It varies by phone but a little tapping should find it.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 May '16 19:49
    Perhaps an app helps bring in people who aren't comfortable with web browsers, but personally, I don't feel any desire to use the app. The responsive design gives me full functionality. Conditional moves, for one, aren't available in the app.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '16 19:53
    Originally posted by Bael
    To find your phone android version number. Usually if you go into your settings menu the bottom option is about device, or similar; in that menu should be an option to see the software info; Version number is there.It varies by phone but a little tapping should find it.
    Right, I did a little poking around and it looks like mine is 4.2.2

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree