1. Korea
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 14:04
    This is a post born purely out of frustration, but how about an 'are you really sure that you want to make that stupid move?' button, how many times do you se something the second you press 'move', and then frantically try to pull the wires out of the PC before it gets through. Just me? OK then, sorry.
  2. In an office
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 15:07
    Everyone makes mistakes, but the 'Analyze board' utility helps to cut down on them.
  3. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 15:08
    I think I'd find the "are you sure" reminder more frustrating than the odd silly mistake! 😛
  4. Joined
    15 Apr '04
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 17:332 edits
    Originally posted by zapbrannigan
    This is a post born purely out of frustration, but how about an 'are you really sure that you want to make that stupid move?' button, how many times do you se something the second you press 'move', and then frantically try to pull ...[text shortened]... res out of the PC before it gets through. Just me? OK then, sorry.
    I think if you had an 'are you really sure that you want to make that stupid move?' button, you would get complacent about the 'move' button (as it wouldn't be final) and still do the same thing.

Then you would need an 'are you really sure that you are really sure that you want to make that stupid move?' button

Which would then mean you would need an 'are you really sure that you are really sure that you are really sure that you want to make that stupid move?' button......ad infinitum

😉
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 17:58
    Should they have an undo button here then or at least a back button in the analyze board.
  6. Joined
    28 Jan '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 19:101 edit
    when i press the move button it never says are u sure?😕 oh sorry u wnat 1. nice idea for those of us who rush chess, rookies so to speak
  7. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 19:20
    Originally posted by Samdogg
    Should they have an undo button here then or at least a back button in the analyze board.
    That's a very nice idea!

An undo-button that disappears / disables after - say - ten seconds or so (running in the background in case after a move you automatically go to the next waiting game). Enough time to realise the stupid thing you (I) have done and to get back to the board and cancel the move. The number of times I realised what I had done during or a millisecond after pressing the move-button are huge, closing a window to prevent the move (even at slow connection) has not been very helpfull yet.
  8. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 20:07
    Originally posted by Aiko
    That's a very nice idea!

An undo-button that disappears / disables after - say - ten seconds or so (running in the background in case after a move you automatically go to the next waiting game). Enough time to realise the stupid thing you (I) have done and to get back to the board and cancel the move. The number of times I realised what I had done during or ...[text shortened]... , closing a window to prevent the move (even at slow connection) has not been very helpfull yet.
    In OTB can you take the move back?

In correspondence (post) can you retrieve the move once posted?

I personally like the move button - I am never quite sure if I want to press it or not, but click away to my hearts content. To my knowledge I have clicked it at the wrong time at least 60 times since I registered here. 🙂
  9. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 23:54
    Originally posted by rhb
    In OTB can you take the move back?

In correspondence (post) can you retrieve the move once posted?
    The move and email notification should offcourse be delayed for that period - in my example ten seconds - at the backend side.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 01:40
    Originally posted by zapbrannigan
    This is a post born purely out of frustration, but how about an 'are you really sure that you want to make that stupid move?' button, how many times do you se something the second you press 'move', and then frantically try to pull the wires out of the PC before it gets through. Just me? OK then, sorry.
    If you arent sure dont hit move button dummy
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 09:00
    In OTB chess, if you touch a piece (without the j'adoube comment) then I believe you have to move that piece whether you like it or not (apparently this didn't stop Kasparov once).

Chess is a deliberate game - if you are inclined to rush moves, then you must accept that this is a reflection of your ability. Even at the quickest timeouts, you have 24 hours to consider a move. If this is not sufficient, then set your limits accordingly.
  12. Joined
    15 Apr '04
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 12:10
    Originally posted by belgianfreakmyself2
    That was uncalled for.
  13. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 12:45
    Originally posted by belgianfreakmyself2
    Wish that would help. Moments of good / better insight don't come by much sooner that just at the moment of hitting the Move-button, or shortly after it. Well, that's the case with me, and probably a lot more people up here...
  14. Northern Virginia
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 18:45
    I actually like the finality of the Move button--it's clean, clear, austere, true to the game. That's one way in RHP chess is more like live chess than chess against a computer program. When I play against my computer I often take dumb moves back (after seeing how the program responds), and the machine rarely howls with indignation. But in live chess you only get to do that when you're playing against your kindly uncle, not against your hard-nosed friends. One time I did try to abort a move--clicked "stop" on the browser, was relieved to see that the board was unchanged, made a different move, clicked "move", and was dismayed to find that RHP had accepted my first move and ignored the second. I was sorry to have thrown away that queen, but glad in a way that I hadn't discovered a new trick.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree