Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member Gatecrasher
    Whale watching
    07 Feb '05 10:53
    Like tournaments games, all clan league games should timeout automatically.

    Theoretically, it now possible for a single stalled game to hold up an entire season of games. Indefinitely. Forever. That is complete insanity!

    Of course, this is also true of Siege games, but at least fewer people are affected by it.

    Personally, with the timebank system in place, I think all competitive games should timeout automatically.
  2. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    07 Feb '05 11:28
    i think it is obvious:

    auto timeout is required for all except a very few games ... it must be the norm ... only personal challenges should be exempt from auto timeout.

    auto timeout is desperately needed for:
    tournaments,
    clan games,
    clan leagues,
    sieges,
    and any other game types that may be generated in the future.
  3. Subscriber noxidjkram
    Anal(yst) Programmer
    07 Feb '05 13:55
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Like tournaments games, all clan league games should timeout automatically.

    Theoretically, it now possible for a single stalled game to hold up an entire season of games. Indefinitely. Forever. That is complete insanity!

    Of course, this is also true of Siege games, but at least fewer people are affected by it.

    Personally, with the timebank system in place, I think all competitive games should timeout automatically.
    Gets my rec.

    M
  4. Standard member wib
    Stay outta my biznez
    07 Feb '05 15:51
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i think it is obvious:

    auto timeout is required for all except a very few games ... it must be the norm ... [b]only personal challenges should be exempt from auto timeout.


    auto timeout is desperately needed for:
    tournaments,
    clan games,
    clan leagues,
    sieges,
    and any other game types that may be generated in the future.[/b]
    Agree with all of that. Auto timeouts for everything except personal challenges. And I mean auto timeout the very second the skull pops.
  5. 07 Feb '05 17:46
    I would Vote for that, I think Auto - timeouts is a good idea,
  6. 07 Feb '05 18:35 / 1 edit
    Add me to the list of Yes voters.
  7. 07 Feb '05 20:40
    Great idea, though I like the way the Tourneys do it with a 2-day grace before auto-timing out. Let's face it, if it is abandoned, then 2 more days won't make a difference.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 Feb '05 22:05 / 1 edit
    I'm against automatic t/o's. I came to the site to play chess, not win games on time that I haven't earned. I usually only time out after I send a PM to the other player and give them an additional 24 hours; if they don't respond I reluctantly conclude they've abandoned the game and take the skull. I think extreme abuse of the system, like one person being left in a league and the other person not timing him out for an unreasonable period, could be addressed by the site admins on an ad hoc basis. But I do not favor auto timeouts being extended into other game types.
  9. Standard member Toe
    07 Feb '05 22:17 / 1 edit
    It has been mentioned as an idea many times. From those threads, it appears the majority favour auto-timeouts in everything except personal challenges for two main reasons: (1) to stop the time-out whining that goes on when a player fails to play by the rules of the game and (2) in consideration of all the other players with an active interest in such games, whether speeding up the next round, moving up the siege queue or whatever.
  10. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    08 Feb '05 09:50
    Originally posted by Toe
    It has been mentioned as an idea many times. From those threads, it appears the majority favour auto-timeouts in everything except personal challenges for two main reasons: (1) to stop the time-out whining that goes on when a player fails to play by the rules of the game and (2) in consideration of all the other players with an active interest in such games, whether speeding up the next round, moving up the siege queue or whatever.
    I've wanted this for a long time. Just personal challenges and unrated games should not auto TO.

    Let's have all auto TO's occur after 2 days of the claim win is available.

    Russ, let's have a vote?
  11. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    08 Feb '05 10:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm against automatic t/o's. I came to the site to play chess, not win games on time that I haven't earned. I usually only time out after I send a PM to the other player and give them an additional 24 hours; if they don't respond I reluctantly conclude they've abandoned the game and take the skull. I think extreme abuse of the system, like o ...[text shortened]... dmins on an ad hoc basis. But I do not favor auto timeouts being extended into other game types.
    you say you are here to play chess ....

    that is exactly the reason that auto timeouts are required .....

    autotimeouts are required in any situation where people who want to play chess ... are waiting for people who are not playing chess.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Feb '05 10:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by flexmore
    you say you are here to play chess ....

    that is exactly the reason that auto timeouts are required .....

    autotimeouts are required in any situation where people who want to play chess ... are waiting for people who are not playing chess.
    Please explain to me how winning a game by timeout is "playing chess"? While your argument might have some validity in Siege games (actually a far larger problem there is so many people aren't even starting their games), so far as I know no third parties are being inconvenienced in the clan leagues because someone choose not to take a timeout they were entitled to. If I don't want to take a timeout and it's not to anybody else's detriment, I fail to see why I should be required to.
  13. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    08 Feb '05 10:41
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Please explain to me how winning a game by timeout is "playing chess"? While your argument might have some validity in Siege games (actually a far larger problem there is so many people aren't even starting their games), so far as I know no third parties are being inconvenienced in the clan leagues because someone choose not to take a timeout t ...[text shortened]... a timeout and it's not to anybody else's detriment, I fail to see why I should be required to.
    are you serious??????

    the second round of a tournament does not begin until the first round has finished.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Feb '05 11:00
    Originally posted by flexmore
    are you serious??????

    the second round of a tournament does not begin until the first round has finished.
    ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Please read the title of this thread: Automatic timeouts in Clan league games and make an argument on point..

  15. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    08 Feb '05 11:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Please read the title of this thread: Automatic timeouts in Clan league games and make an argument on point..


    . . A R E . . Y O U . . S E R I O U S ? ? ? ? ? ?

    sorry i have completely forgotten what we were arguing about ... but i do like the formatting