1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 08:19
    I'd like to see this as an option available in player settings, as it is on at least one other chess-playing site.

Clan and tourney games, along with siege and ladder games, should always have automatic timeouts applied. Timekeeping is part of the rules of the game, after all.

When it comes to friendly games, circumstances may dictate that time control be or not be enforced. You may not want to click a particular skull, but if you're a nonsub you can't afford to have a slot lying idle. Or you may want to give a gentle lesson to a chronic offender. Or not.

I would like to see an option in MyChallengeSettings to have automatic timeouts applied in all cases where a skull may appear.
  2. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 08:42
    It's better to introduce this as a setting for each separate game, as otherwise friendly games could time-out unwanted. And remember, there is no turning back move or re-open game feature on this site.

The automatic time-out should be off on default, unless specified otherwise under My Settings.
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 12:11
    Agreed, ther should be automatic timeouts in tournaments.

In clan matches I tend to say yes, there should be.

In ladder matches it is necessary due to matches where both players vanish.

In friendlys there shouldn't be an automatic timeout. This is at the discretion of the players. But if the automatic timeout should be unnecessary complicated with this exception I would rather have the automaton than the choice.

And I wouldn't give an option, but just enforce in the first four cases. A piece of software should be able to keep track on the type of game.

If it is too much to check all games all time, the timeout could be put in effect when a game is opened, where the timeout condition has been reached. Otherwise a robot could go through the database and colect the skulls once a day.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 13:21
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I'd like to see this as an option available in player settings, as it is on at least one other chess-playing site.

Clan and tourney games, along with siege and ladder games, should always have automatic timeouts applied. Timekeeping is part of the rules of the game, after all.

When it comes to friendly games, circumstances may dictate that time control ...[text shortened]... MyChallengeSettings to have automatic timeouts applied in all cases where a skull may appear.
    Agreed.

In formal events, like tournaments, timeouts should happen automatically. The tournament should not be held up by someone's refusal to take a skull.

I also think that certain fast time control tournaments should ignore all vacation flags. Who wants to play a 1/0 or 0/21 tourney and wait 36 days at the end of the first round for one guy to return from vacation?

For informal games [open invites and such], let there be be an autoskull option.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 13:31
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    If it is too much to check all games all time, the timeout could be put in effect when a game is opened, where the timeout condition has been reached. Otherwise a robot could go through the database and colect the skulls once a day.
    The robot does not need to check each game constantly, but just at the point when a player would time out based on when the last move was made. So, in a 3/7 game, the bot checks on the game 10 days after a move [assuming no timebank is used].
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 13:33
    Originally posted by tvochess
    The automatic time-out should be off on default, unless specified otherwise under My Settings.
    Why not have a dialog box for the first time a new user sets this up. Have them select their own default.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 13:411 edit
    Here's a thought.

All games autoskull, except for a single category of game: untimed.

Keeps the settings much simpler.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 13:49
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Here's a thought.

All games autoskull, except for a single category of game: [b]untimed

Keeps the settings much simpler.[/b]
    That sounds like a simple and practical idea. Autoskull for everything except "untimed" games which presumably would be a selectable option like unrated games.
  9. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 15:31
    I think you're being a bit too harsh. Automatic time-outs in 'official' events (tournaments, ladders etc.) is fine and interesting to avoid delays. However, as non-sub, I can't really care about that. But not for friendly games (open invites, challenges). There, I want to be in control myself.

The reason why is that I sometimes ask opponents not to claim the time-out, e.g. if I'm away for more than a week. Most of them understand and gently wait. I would do the same for them. If this would only be possible in untimed games, there is nothing to force continuation of play and most of the untimed games wouldn't ever finish. All subs would stop playing as soon as they know they're losing.

I understand the idea that I agree to a certain time before the game. But this is correspondence chess, so games go over weeks, months.. I like and can handle 3/7 games in regular weeks, but it's not enough to go on holiday for even 1.5 weeks. So leave the decision to the gentlemen for friendly-type games.

Summary:
    - if there are other parties influenced: automatic time-out is fine
    - if not: leave the decision to the player (perhaps via an automatic time-out setting)
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 16:09
    Originally posted by tvochess
    I think you're being a bit too harsh. Automatic time-outs in 'official' events (tournaments, ladders etc.) is fine and interesting to avoid delays. However, as non-sub, I can't really care about that. But not for friendly games (open invites, challenges). There, I want to be in control myself.

The reason why is that I sometimes ask opponents not to claim ...[text shortened]...
    - if not: leave the decision to the player (perhaps via an automatic time-out setting)
    If you're away for more than a week, set the vacation flag.
  11. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 16:34
    If you're away for more than a week, set the vacation flag.
    Isn't that a bit cruel on a non-subscriber? you could have written: cough up the money 😉
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 18:05
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Isn't that a bit cruel on a non-subscriber? you could have written: cough up the money 😉
    Hahaha. Didn't even notice that. 🙂
  13. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 18:36
    Hahaha. Didn't even notice that. 🙂
    What's this with people not reading what I write. 🙄 I even mentioned that I'm a non-sub.

Some time ago in a thread I started, someone posted a link to a website to help me. Useful link, funny thing is I already gave the link in my first post.

Maybe my English is nut good enough. 😕
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 19:05

When it comes to friendly games, circumstances may dictate that time control ...[text shortened]... MyChallengeSettings to have automatic timeouts applied in all cases where a skull may appear.
    Agreed. Great idea.
  15. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Sep '12 10:48

It says in tournament help that automatic timeouts are applied periodically.
    Is this not happening?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree