"Back to Start" in Game Analysis

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
11 Nov 06

I really need a button to go to the start of a line I'm analysing. Sometimes I get carried away and analyse for loads of moves, and then have to click "Previous Position" loads of times to get back to the current position.

I wonder is it something that could be done with a greasemonkey script?

D

Moves
11 Nov 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I really need a button to go to the start of a line I'm analysing. Sometimes I get carried away and analyse for loads of moves, and then have to click "Previous Position" loads of times to get back to the current position.

D
Just click 'reset all' to get back to the current position on the analysis board.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
11 Nov 06

Originally posted by David Tebb
Just click 'reset all' to get back to the current position on the analysis board.
Yeah, but I then want to be able to click through the line which I've analysed, double checking. "Resetting all" gets rid of the line from the memory of the analyse board screen.

I don't think a lot of people use the analyse board screen as it was designed, specifically the "previous position"/"next position" functions. Try it out and you'll see what I mean: Enter a few moves, and then instead of clicking "reset all", click "Previous Position" a couple of time, then "next position".

D

N

The sky

Moves
11 Nov 06

Yeah, but I then want to be able to click through the line which I've analysed, double checking. "Resetting all" gets rid of the line from the memory of the analyse board screen.

I don't think a lot of people use the analyse board screen as it was designed, specifically the "previous position"/"next position" functions. Try it out and you'll see what I ...[text shortened]... eset all", click "Previous Position" a couple of time, then "next position".

D
I use it all the time, and yes, I have missed a "go to the start without deleting all the analysis" button as well.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Nov 06
1 edit

Allow me to clarify, please.

Something called Back to Start is too close to Reset All, and is confusing, especially since you *don't* want to go back to Start, which is what Reset All does.

I think what Rag is requesting is a feature to Set a Bookmark in the analyzed move list and then have a button labelled Back to Bookmark. If you don't like the name Bookmark, then call it something else... Setpoint, Waypoint, Saved Position, whatever. Just don't call it Start, because that makes me think it will go back to the Current Position.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Nov 06

On further analysis (hehe), it seems that what you want might be to go back to the current position without deleting the line you are analyzing? But why? Only to step through it again?

I was thinking what you wanted was to go back to a particular point and then branch off on a new line from there. Pardon me if that's not what you wanted... 😳 But that seems a lot more useful than just going back to the current position without deleting the line. I can't see what that accomplishes.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Nov 06

Originally posted by Suzianne
On further analysis (hehe), it seems that what you want might be to go back to the current position without deleting the line you are analyzing? But why? Only to step through it again?

I was thinking what you wanted was to go back to a particular point and then branch off on a new line from there. Pardon me if that's not what you wanted... 😳 But tha ...[text shortened]... g back to the current position without deleting the line. I can't see what that accomplishes.
You got it right this time.

Why? Because I sometimes get to a position, and want to double check the moves. Sometimes I forget what order of moves got me to a position.

Going through and double checking a line is what the new analysis board screen is about, and is why it remembers the line that you have just entered, so that you can double check it.

Most people, including you it seems, are still using the analyse board without using the added functionality which Russ/Chris added in the last update. It took me a bit of practice not to hit Reset All everytime, but once I got used to using previous/next, I find it a great help.

D

nunquam perdo

Washington, DC

Moves
15 Nov 06

I see why this would be needed but you could also just get the Fen and setup the game in chessbase or arena etc... until this gets implemented

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Nov 06

Originally posted by briancron
I see why this would be needed but you could also just get the Fen and setup the game in chessbase or arena etc... until this gets implemented
Hi, I'm Rag and this is my mantra... "Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired."

; D

nunquam perdo

Washington, DC

Moves
15 Nov 06

Hi, I'm Rag and this is my mantra... "Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired."

; D
Interesting... I think work must be zero sum in the universe

In order to accomodate your laziness the staff at RHP have to work more.

Personally, I am too lazy to have a mantra

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
15 Nov 06

I don't think a lot of people use the analyse board screen as it was designed, specifically the "previous position"/"next position" functions. Try it out and you'll see what I ...[text shortened]... eset all", click "Previous Position" a couple of time, then "next position".

D
have you tried having two RHP windows open ? maybe not a good idea, but it's how i do things sometime because of my scratchy recall.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Nov 06

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
have you tried having two RHP windows open ? maybe not a good idea, but it's how i do things sometime because of my scratchy recall.
I don't understand how that would help.

D

c
'Sir' to you

Osaka, Japan

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
Or even 2 tabs?

Digital Alchemist

Moves
18 Nov 06

D
I've updated the analysis.user.js script to add a 'First position' button that should take you to the first move of the analyzed variation. I used the same icon as the 'Reset all' button because I'm lazy and no artist. Feel free to point it to some other image.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
18 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by ouroboros
I've updated the analysis.user.js script to add a 'First position' button that should take you to the first move of the analyzed variation. I used the same icon as the 'Reset all' button because I'm lazy and no artist. Feel free to point it to some other image.
Sweet. Thanks ouroboros.

Ideally, I'd like it to go to 1 more position back (ie: the existing position before I start any analysis). I've had a look at the code, but unfortunately, it's beyond me.

http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/

D

[EDIT] It still works a charm, as now I only have to click First Position once and previous once and I'm back to the start. 2 clicks instead of a possible 40+. Thanks.