1. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 16:37
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Think

Might

What do you actually know, I wonder?
    I know you got out of jail free for being a suck up.
  2. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 16:40
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    RHP is a site, not a world or country.

Forum privileges are just that, break the rules, they are removed.

Forum bans would become badges of honor for users, regardless what clan or club they may be a member of.

The only way I see this rule to change, is 3 strikes and you are OUT.

Most of us would be OUT by now.

I often stick to private forum ...[text shortened]... f I threw a swear fit out here and got a 14 day ban only to be posting all over private forums.
    It's not a grocery store either. Why aren't you on CFT's case for his stupid analogy? I know why, but I can't say it or I might get banned. You know that too.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 16:50
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    It's not a grocery store either. Why aren't you on CFT's case for his stupid analogy? I know why, but I can't say it or I might get banned. You know that too.
    His analogy makes more sense than your view of separation.

Read my post again, the reasoning for not having private posting rights is sound.

Do you want 3 strikes you're out?

P-
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 17:11
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I know you got out of jail free for being a suck up.
    And I know you're a braindead halfwit, so we're even.
  5. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 17:19

Read my post again, the reasoning for not having private posting rights is sound.

P-
    It's reasonably sound only because you say it's sound. You have an opinion sure, but so do others that oppose your views. Cutting off discussion sounds so communistic it stinks. Don't talk about the secret police or get put in a jail cell for life. You would think you were in support of a Chinese or soviet rule of law. Certainly not an American or English system. <shakes head> Go ahead and spit in the face of democracy. I'm disappointed in where you have taken this. You planning on defecting soon?

That is a little bit arrogant. This isn't base ball either. Why not 50 strikes and your out? Why don't you retire? Three strikes and your out Phlab? Why not that?
  6. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 17:34

P-
    I'd prefer to ditch all the analogies and just talk about the RHP forum system.

Since there's no real evidence that someone has been issued a forum ban, I'm not sure how it could become a badge of honor. There's no badge. Even if people did try to get banned, the problem solves itself as these people would quickly escalate to 1-year or perma-bans and cease to be an issue to the forum mods.

So, I think your reasoning is sound but is really more supposition/opinion than fact (which is all my posts have been as well). Unless, that is, RHP has already tried limiting forum bans to public forums and seen the effects you mention. In that case, I withdraw my suggestion.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 17:53
    Originally posted by Ichibanov

Since there's no real evidence that someone has been issued a forum ban, I'm not sure how it could become a badge of honor. There's no badge. Even if people did try to get banned, the problem solves itself as these people would quickly escalate to 1-year or perma-bans and ce ...[text shortened]... s to public forums and seen the effects you mention. In that case, I withdraw my suggestion.
    Would you want 3 strikes your out?
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 17:56

Since there's no real evidence that someone has been issued a forum ban, I'm not sure how it could become a badge of honor. There's no badge. Even if people did try to get banned, the problem solves itself as these people would quickly escalate to 1-year or perma-bans and ce ...[text shortened]... s to public forums and seen the effects you mention. In that case, I withdraw my suggestion.
    Recently RN ran into a site where people went out of there way to get bans from other sites. Don't you see where users would post like idiots for their mates to view, catch a ban... and run back to their private forum to brag and laugh?

P-
  9. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 17:56
    Would you want 3 strikes your out?
    I think ever-lengthening public forums bans for repeat offenders would do the trick. Say 3-day, 7-day, 30-day, 6 month, 1-year, permanent. So, call it six strikes.
  10. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 18:01
    Recently RN ran into a site where people went out of there way to get bans from other sites. Don't you see where users would post like idiots for their mates to view, catch a ban... and run back to their private forum to brag and laugh?

P-
    From what I understand, trolling other site forums and getting bans was the reason Ghettonia existed. If such a private forum showed up within RHP, Russ could take care of it easily enough. He had no control over Ghettonia, but he has all god-like powers within RHP.

Still, I think we disagree on the likelihood of that scenario. I think it's fairly remote, while you seem sure it will happen.
  11. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 18:03
    Can it be demonstrated that RHP has lost any number of subscribers (and therefore revenue) due to the public/private forum ban policy? Has there ever been a potential subscriber who has not bought a membership because of this policy?

If not, then there is no substantive reason for the owners of the site to change the policy.
  12. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 18:19
    I actually agree with you Flea. And I think we're all realistic about the chances of such a change being made when real improvements to the chess side of the house remain to be made.

Still, if no one ever champions the idea, the chances of such a change go from remote to zero. In the end, it's probably a waste of time, but it's our time to waste.
  13. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 18:31
    If everyone was limited to 1 clan and 1 club, then sure, I'd consider this idea.

At present you can be in clans with potentially 4X19 other different people and Clubs with a crapload of different site users.
    This would mean you could still engage almost all the forum regulars in a forum environment on this site.

So, to summarize: Bad Idea, because there would be no actual punishment.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 18:39
    can someone delete this thread, i preferred skeeters post at the top of the recommended list. this thread has just turned ggay. the op even said that she how agrees with skeeter.
  15. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 18:55
    I actually agree with you Flea. And I think we're all realistic about the chances of such a change being made when real improvements to the chess side of the house remain to be made.

Still, if no one ever champions the idea, the chances of such a change go from remote to zero. In the end, it's probably a waste of time, but it's our time to waste.
    I wouldn't term it a waste of time, Ichi. And if my previous post made it sound that way, that wasn't my intention. I'm sure the owners of the site appreciate feedback about all aspects of the site and how it's run.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree