1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 00:02
    Private forums are policed (moderated) by their group leaders and the levels of tolerance are what each group wants for them.

A person who gets a public forum ban, whatever the reason, also gets a private forum ban. This is like getting banned from the pub, then going home and finding the door bolted against you. Different location, different conditions. An offence in one place is not necessarily an offence in all places.

I don't believe that a person should be punished in public, then followed back to his home and punished again for an offence which he has committed only in the public place.

{Note: I am a current subscriber and as entitled as any other member to express my personal view in this forum.}
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 00:27
    i've said this before.

the response i got was that receiving a ban in the private forums was supposed to act as a deterrent to getting a public forum ban.
  3. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 00:43
    I agree that private forums should be a separate issue & rec
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 07:144 edits
    Argueably, I'm probably the best example of a lengthy forum suspension, ever, and therefore, again argueably, the best to offer this position.

If you transgress in the general fora and receive a suspension ( the merits for or against is not the issue here ) there could be a perception that there is no real penalty if you were then allowed to retreat to the sanctity of your private clan / club forums and so to continue the debate and / or perceived infractions, supposedly indifferent to and beyond the powers of the very people who originally determined that there was a valid reason for that suspension.

No penalty there, not one that has any impact as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't much miss the ability to post in the general fora - they're pretty much rubbish these days - what really hurt was the inability to post in my nominated clans and club private forums. That's the sting, and that, and that alone, needs to be in place to convey to those members who choose to breach the TOS with regard to forum posting, that that's the bottom line.

Change nothing. It's working.

I know that for a fact.

skeeter
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 17:481 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 17:58
    People are banned from forums for a reason, this proposes not banning anyone and then anything goes in the forums.

The forums then might be full of really bad stuff in the forum.

Some people have a ban, sit it out then come back, others just whine and moan. Do they learn a lesson this way - yes they do. If they could be allowed to post in the private forums then it makes it more hostile - the "groups" would become more defined
  7. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 20:28
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Here's an idea for you...

Perhaps you can restrict your views/analogies to the title of the thread itself, without having a 'dig' at someone
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 20:32
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Argueably, I'm probably the best example of a lengthy forum suspension, ever, and therefore, again argueably, the best to offer this position.

If you transgress in the general fora and receive a suspension ( the merits for or against is not the issue here ) there could be a perception that there is no real penalty if you were then allowed to retreat to th ...[text shortened]... e bottom line.

I know that for a fact.

skeeter
    100% agreed and recced.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 20:33
    Originally posted by Elamef37
    Here's an idea for you...

Perhaps you can restrict your views/analogies to the title of the thread itself, without having a 'dig' at someone
    And what exactly does this post have to do with the title of the thread?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 20:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    rec'd

almost rec'd skeeter's post
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 20:431 edit

If you transgress in the general fora and receive a suspension ( the merits for or against is not the issue here ) there could be a perception that there is no real penalty if you were then allowed to retreat to th e bottom line.

I know that for a fact.

skeeter
    If you enjoyed this post and believe it added value to the Time For Chess forums, then you can bring it to the attention of others by recommending it. Recently recommended posts can be read at anytime from the 'Recommended Posts' option on the forum menu.

You have made 3 recommendations of an available 30 in the last 30 days.

edit: 4 edits and still 'Argueably'

give me my rec back.

😏
  12. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 20:56
    Originally posted by darvlay
    And what exactly does this post have to do with the title of the thread?
    And why are you asking me a stupid question!
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 21:03
    Silly analogies to supermarket aisles aside, the thoughtful responses here have persuaded me to modify my views somewhat. Thanks particularly to skeeter.
  14. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 07:27

If you transgress in the general fora and receive a suspension ( the merits for or against is not the issue here ) there could be a perception that there is no real penalty if you were then allowed to retreat to th ...[text shortened]... e bottom line.

I know that for a fact.

skeeter
    common sense view. rec.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 07:303 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree