1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '21 05:58
    I'm back on the usual site, just can handle that red at the top.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 11:07
    @they said
    Not a fan of the green accept challenges. Accept is almost never a good idea. Making it easier or more inviting is not a benefit.
    Can you explain further?
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 11:103 edits
    Now the full RHP game history is back online (see site announcements), the new (beta only) Game Explorer database is repopulating. This will take quite some time to complete - so you might not find any of your games right now if you haven't been on the site for a very long time.

Regardless, you should not see any errors, so feel free to poke about and report anything if you do.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 12:08
    @russ said
    Regardless, you should not see any errors, so feel free to poke about and report anything if you do.
    https://beta.redhotpawn.com/chess/chess-game-history.php?gameid=18

This was my first game here, vs. Paul. If you try and play through it from the starting position, it is totally messed up. The moves shown are not possible to even make. It has been that way for a long time.

It is not important but I thought I should mention it, since it is an error.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 13:25
    @mwmiller

I assume you are saying it has always been that way? If so, this was probably broken from the start judging by the date it was created.
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 16:56

Removed by poster

7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 17:00
    @Russ
    It is an ancient game and my first one played on RHP. I just found it to be confusing when I tried to replay it using 'game history'. I thought I should bring it to your attention in case there are others like it.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 17:491 edit
    @lausey

Check PMs.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 17:541 edit
    Due to an issue with iPhone notifications (of all things) I've had to do another server update which is a little too bleeding edge.

As a result, you will be more likely to find problems, and any push to production will be delayed a little longer.
  10. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    18 Feb '21 00:05
    @russ said
    Can you explain further?
    It's two separate thoughts mashed into one post sorry.

Most Clan challenges need a little work or need to be declined straight out. Some clan leaders create challenges that are by design favorable to their clans. This may be the point of clan leadership for some and the road to creating a "successful" clan. Some leaders create challenges that attempt to be fair for every board. Winning is not the point - playing is.

Green means go. It is an inviting little icon, and as clan leaders are clicking around too fast - playing games and reading forums posts and checking their clan - it is more likely that the icon will be click in a moment of madness. I have both Accepted and Declined challenges without meaning to - thinking I was previewing maybe, but the mouse had a mind of its own.

The contrast of Green/Grey implies (maybe subconsciously) that green is "better". It's is in color and that has to be better. Maybe if Green is Accept Decline can be Red. I think that would lessen mistake clicks - it would be more obvious you are selecting a specific action (accepting games for others) .

Not to belabor the point (they said belaboring the point), I don't think there are any clan leaders who think, "I wish it was easier to accept challenges from other clans."

Or I could be completely wrong. Clan leaders? Beta testing is the time to speak up.
  11. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Feb '21 08:302 edits
    Minor bug: When I scroll through former years of the clan ranking I am automatically sent to the current year (first page works for the years).

Oh and not specific to the beta: There are buttons for looking at the years 2016 and 2017, but no other years in the "recent Challenges" bar.

Oh and of course all the sorting lists revert to the most points after page 1 but this was reported years ago.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Feb '21 09:49
    @they
    You said "I don't think there are any clan leaders who think, "I wish it was easier to accept challenges from other clans."
    As a separate issue from the point you were making in the, thread I doubt many leaders would agree with the above question.
    I'm going to post your comment in the clans thread along with some of my own.It should get some response and maybe some beneficial changes.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Feb '21 15:00
    @ponderable said
    Minor bug: When I scroll through former years of the clan ranking I am automatically sent to the current year (first page works for the years).

Oh and not specific to the beta: There are buttons for looking at the years 2016 and 2017, but no other years in the "recent Challenges" bar.

Oh and of course all the sorting lists revert to the most points after page 1 but this was reported years ago.
    The clan ranking page should now be fixed for all permutations of searches and filters, without the current view being lost. (Page number viewed is reset after a search though, by design.)

The 2016 + 2017 buttons...now show current and previous year, as you would expect.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Feb '21 16:11
    @they

The decline/withdraw button is now red.
  15. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    18 Feb '21 18:37
    @Russ

Indeed - I do like that better. I believe the colors are an improvement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree