1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 10:10
    Dutch people are generally known to want to pay as less as possible for everything. I am no exception to that. In my opinion the current subscription fee of ~40 dollars per year is way too much money. As much as I enjoy playing chess on this site, I just don't think it's worth it.

However, let's say the subscription fee was 15 dollars/euros per year. If that were the case I'd definitely subscribe. I wouldn't even mind not losing the advertisements then, as long as I'd be able to make use of all the other subscribers options. I'd think that if this were the case, a lot of current non-subscribers would subscribe. By keeping the advertisements (they don't bother me) the website would earn money from the extra subscribers as well as from the advertisments.

Ofcourse, I haven't got the faintest idea if by doing this RHP would in the end lose or earn money compared to the situation as it is at this moment, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway.
  2. Joined
    16 Aug '09
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 12:29
    How feasible technically, practically, and economically would it be to have a lower rate for those who want full function and are willing to accept advertisements and the regular rate for those of us who hate advertisements?
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 12:40
    From a technical point of view it sounds very simple. Whether or not it is economically interesting for RHP, I do not know as I stated in my first post. If it isn't interesting for RHP to do this, then I'll live with the limitations of being a non-subscriber.
  4. Cyberspace
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 18:08
    I am not an economist or anything but generally once the prices go up they do not come down. ๐Ÿ™‚
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 18:56
    General economics is flawed.
  6. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 20:17
    I suggest fees go up to $100 to keep stingy dutch off the site ๐Ÿ˜›
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 20:34
    Now wait a minute. I'm talking about saving money and you're Scottish. Surely you should be on my side with this.

Anyway, it's not going to happen, is it?
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 20:52
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

Anyway, it's not going to happen, is it?
    no

but if you're lucky it might go up to $50 in a year or so...
  9. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateโ„ข
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 21:26
    Bear in mind some of the older subscribers are still paying the original yearly fee that they initially signed up to.

RHP are asking people to pay $40 for the exact same benefits that someone users are paying $20 for.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 06:35
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Bear in mind some of the older subscribers are still paying the original yearly fee that they initially signed up to.

RHP are asking people to pay $40 for the exact same benefits that someone users are paying $20 for.
    Of course this is the way that "the market" (whatever that is) works. If there are many people willing to pay this kind of money, you can't really blame RHP for making use of those people. I just won't be one of them. Funny thing is, if enough people would stand up and say "Hey, that strange Dutch man has a point" and subsequently would not renew their membership it might force RHP to change something. Not gonna happen though.....
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 06:461 edit
    Is $40 too much? It's 10 cents a day. Is that much? I don't think so.
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 07:04
    Without mentioning any names, some chess sites have two-level or three-level subscriptions, or even more. Some of us can't afford $US40 (because that may be a fortnight's income in our country), others wouldn't hesitate to pay $US60 for lots of bells and whistles. A lower-fee option with access to some facilities and not to others makes some kind of sense to me.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 07:08
    It's $40,000 a millenium. What's your point?

0.25 cents a day is also not much money, yet that would already be $100 per year. Would you be willing to pay that? Can you spare 0.50 cents per day? If so, would you pay $200 per year?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to convince you that it's too much money. I'm sure you can decide that for yourself. I just posted this to maybe come up with an alternative for paying nothing or paying $40.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 07:18
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    It's $40,000 a millenium. What's your point?

0.25 cents a day is also not much money, yet that would already be $100 per year. Would you be willing to pay that? Can you spare 0.50 cents per day? If so, would you pay $200 per year?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to convince you that it's too much money. I'm sure you can decide that for yourself ...[text shortened]... I just posted this to maybe come up with an alternative for paying nothing or paying $40.
    My point is that you get a lot of joy out of 10 cents a day. Divide these ten cents with the hours you spend with RHP and see if you can find any cheaper joy.

How much cost a cigarette in your country? How many do you smoke each day? What is healthier?
    What is the cost of petrol in your country? How many unnecessary kilometres are you driving each day?
    How many cents a day are you spending on other things that you really don't need?

I don't say that $40 is nothing for everyone on this globe. But we have to prioritize. If you cannot afford 10 cents a day, then I'm sure you prioritize something else that means more to you.
  15. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 10:12
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    I suggest fees go up to $100 to keep stingy dutch off the site ๐Ÿ˜›
    Then I would stay non-sub just to irritate you:p

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree